Early Look Ahead

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early Look Ahead

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 2:32 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Malik. Whether it be NBA or P6. He will most definitely at least test the NBA as he is currently projected to be a second round pick.

Zero chance hes back at ISU next season.

Wow, confident. Sources?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » February 2nd, 2018, 2:54 pm

From the outside looking in I'd be surprised if Yarborough stays. I could say top 5 for sure, top 3 is tough to guarantee because I really think it's gonna be another dog fight in the valley. I'd be blown away if they're top 25. I would take last years trio + Willis over next seasons group (at this point). They played with so much effort on the defensive end.

Regardless I agree. If there was one year every Valley team should really push themselves scheduling it's next year. I hope the Ramblers take at least 2 buy games on the road if possible and have better luck in the mid season tournament. Kent State and UNCW are two usually strong mid major teams that just ended up awful this season. Plus the NC State buyout hurt.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 2nd, 2018, 3:14 pm

Blers wrote:From the outside looking in I'd be surprised if Yarborough stays. I could say top 5 for sure, top 3 is tough to guarantee because I really think it's gonna be another dog fight in the valley. I'd be blown away if they're top 25. I would take last years trio + Willis over next seasons group (at this point). They played with so much effort on the defensive end.

Regardless I agree. If there was one year every Valley team should really push themselves scheduling it's next year. I hope the Ramblers take at least 2 buy games on the road if possible and have better luck in the mid season tournament. Kent State and UNCW are two usually strong mid major teams that just ended up awful this season. Plus the NC State buyout hurt.

Don't whore yourself out in buy games. Taking one is fine but there are other ways to schedule up. The key is exploiting computer numbers. Play good mid-majors that also schedule up, leverage your MTE for at least two if not three quality games. the Mountain West Challenge should give you a decent game. You have the resources to buy smart.

As a league, we have to get over the 'nobody will play us so let's cry about it' mentality. UNI and Illinois State have been able to put together very good schedules without whoring ourselves out. EVERYBODY not named Drake and Valpo need to schedule up next year.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 3:30 pm

Blers wrote:From the outside looking in I'd be surprised if Yarborough stays. I could say top 5 for sure, top 3 is tough to guarantee because I really think it's gonna be another dog fight in the valley. I'd be blown away if they're top 25. I would take last years trio + Willis over next seasons group (at this point). They played with so much effort on the defensive end.

Time will tell. Last year at this point, we all assumed McIntosh was staying. Clearly that didn't happen.

If we don't have those 3 back, we will not be top 3. Honestly, this team has 5 d-1 ready players. The rest are either brand new or rode the bench last year for ISUr....and they are still 6-5 that included blowing a 14 point lead late against SIU on the road.

Return our core and I am confident top 3...but never top 25.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 2nd, 2018, 3:57 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:

Time will tell. Last year at this point, we all assumed McIntosh was staying. Clearly that didn't happen.

If we don't have those 3 back, we will not be top 3. Honestly, this team has 5 d-1 ready players. The rest are either brand new or rode the bench last year for ISUr....and they are still 6-5 that included blowing a 14 point lead late against SIU on the road.

We all assumed McIntosh was staying? Who honestly believed that? There were rumors he was going to leave prior to last season, as well as Hawkins....I don't think anyone was buying he was ever staying.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TSmithBJJ » February 2nd, 2018, 4:13 pm

I see a lot of ISU and top 3 talk, but lets put the Redbird chatter aside for a moment. Who do you all have at the for the Top 3 spots in the MVC next year? (Too early to tell, but I'd like to know predictions)
BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA.... (and MVC basketball).
TSmithBJJ
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Redhawk » February 2nd, 2018, 4:17 pm

Blers wrote: I would take last years trio + Willis over next seasons group (at this point).

I respectfully disagree with you. Consider that you are comparing Senior seasons last year to Junior seasons of the current trio.

In my mind next year:
Fayne > Hawkins
Yarbrough > McIntosh
Paris = Evans ( Paris better defense/Key better offense)
Copeland > Willis

Plus the balance of the rotation will be considerably better with Williams, Tinsley, Bruninga, Clarance & King David. If Milik stays top 3 no problem. If he leaves still top 5.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 4:25 pm

TSmithBJJ wrote:I see a lot of ISU and top 3 talk, but lets put the Redbird chatter aside for a moment. Who do you all have at the for the Top 3 spots in the MVC next year? (Too early to tell, but I'd like to know predictions)

If all players return (no defections for ANYONE):

1. SIU
2. ISUr
3. Bradley/Loyola
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 4:27 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

We all assumed McIntosh was staying? Who honestly believed that? There were rumors he was going to leave prior to last season, as well as Hawkins....I don't think anyone was buying he was ever staying.

Hindsight is 20/20 dude. This rumor did not start until after last season ended. You act like you knew he was leaving in February of 2017. You did not.
Hawkins everyone knew he was leaving before the season...never MM
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on February 2nd, 2018, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

TSmithBJJ wrote:I see a lot of ISU and top 3 talk, but lets put the Redbird chatter aside for a moment. Who do you all have at the for the Top 3 spots in the MVC next year? (Too early to tell, but I'd like to know predictions)

1-SIU
2-Bradley
3-Loyola with Custer (Drop them to 6th if he leaves)
4-Illinois State
5-UNI
6-Indiana State
7-Evansville
8-Valpo
9-Drake
10-Missouri State
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball