Early Look Ahead

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Early Look Ahead

Postby Blers » February 2nd, 2018, 10:48 am

Last season I wrote a post regarding how the future of most teams looked bright. Looking at rosters for next season, I think that will continue to be true. Loyola will lose Ingram, Jackson, and Richardson, but return a great core of Custer (hopefully), Townes, Krutwig, Williamson (and Negron our highest ranked recruit will have a healthy off season to catch up after missing a lot of time coming off injury). Plus some really nice recruits, like four star big Frank Agunanne and redshirt sophomore (transfer from the Lobos) Aher Uguak who looked like a steal in open practices.

Beyond that (assuming no transfers):
-Illinois State returns their big three and Clarence/Bruninga should continue to grow
-Bradley returns everyone but Thomas and could be really scary.
-Southern has a team with like 8 (?) seniors, plus Anthony Beanes younger brother
-Northern Iowa may have some addition by subtraction with their seniors, Pickford and AJ green could be quite the duo
-Evansville returns Dru Smith and Ryan Taylor, I think Smith is a really nice player. Tough.
-Drake will probably hurt the most short term losing a lot of seniors, but it'll be a team that Niko has crafted himself, love their recruiting class (lots of chicago flavor, Jones and Moore are fun to watch)
-Valpo should continue to improve and grow in the valley. Jevon Freeman may end up my early pick for freshman of the year next season
-Indiana State-Lose Scott, but Jordan Barnes can ball, and i've heard some good things about their recruiting class
-Missouri State- ...maybe a new coach? Lots of talent that probably hasn't been maximized

Obviously i'm projecting and lean more optimistic, but there's a lot to like for the future of the league. I think this year was a good first step post-Wichita, it's up to teams to continue pushing each other to raise the level of play across the board.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Early Look Ahead

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Early Look Ahead

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 2nd, 2018, 11:00 am

Blers wrote:Last season I wrote a post regarding how the future of most teams looked bright. Looking at rosters for next season, I think that will continue to be true. Loyola will lose Ingram, Jackson, and Richardson, but return a great core of Custer (hopefully), Townes, Krutwig, Williamson (and Negron our highest ranked recruit will have a healthy off season to catch up after missing a lot of time coming off injury). Plus some really nice recruits, like four star big Frank Agunanne and redshirt sophomore (transfer from the Lobos) Aher Uguak who looked like a steal in open practices.

-Illinois State returns their big three and Clarence/Bruninga should continue to grow
-Southern has a team with like 8 (?) seniors, plus Anthony Beanes younger brother
-Northern Iowa may have some addition by subtraction with their seniors, Pickford and AJ green could be quite the duo
-Evansville returns Dru Smith and Ryan Taylor, I think Smith is a really nice player. Tough.
-Drake will probably hurt the most short term losing a lot of seniors, but it'll be a team that Niko has crafted himself, love their recruiting class (lots of chicago flavor, Jones and Moore are fun to watch)
-Valpo should continue to improve and grow in the valley. Jevon Freeman may end up my early pick for freshman of the year next season
-Indiana State-Lose Scott, but Jordan Barnes can ball, and i've heard some good things about their recruiting class
-Missouri State- ...maybe a new coach? Lots of talent that probably hasn't been maximized

Obviously i'm projecting and lean more optimistic, but there's a lot to like for the future of the league. I think this year was a good first step post-Wichita, it's up to teams to continue pushing each other to raise the level of play across the board.

^Good stuff, the MVC needs to have a really good non-conference next year and keep building. Can't have what happened to Missouri State this year, happen to teams next year.

From an Illinois State perspective, all bets are off. Team should be better with the top guys returning, but with rumblings of guys already planning on leaving after this season, who knows what the team will look like after about the top 4 guys.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Kyle@MOState » February 2nd, 2018, 11:01 am

Missouri State will also have a couple of transfers from P6 schools. Grant Gelon who got ran out of town at Indiana. (I don't know much about him really) And there is a local kid that was a 3 star, Jared Ridder, who was originally at Xavier this year, but transferred before the season and is now sitting out his red shirt year. Yes, hopefully we see the talent maximized next year regardless of who the coach is.
Kyle@MOState
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 11:06 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
Blers wrote:Last season I wrote a post regarding how the future of most teams looked bright. Looking at rosters for next season, I think that will continue to be true. Loyola will lose Ingram, Jackson, and Richardson, but return a great core of Custer (hopefully), Townes, Krutwig, Williamson (and Negron our highest ranked recruit will have a healthy off season to catch up after missing a lot of time coming off injury). Plus some really nice recruits, like four star big Frank Agunanne and redshirt sophomore (transfer from the Lobos) Aher Uguak who looked like a steal in open practices.

^Good stuff, the MVC needs to have a really good non-conference next year and keep building. Can't have what happened to Missouri State this year, happen to teams next year.

From an Illinois State perspective, all bets are off. Team should be better with the top guys returning, but with rumblings of guys already planning on leaving after this season, who knows what the team will look like after about the top 4 guys.

What rumblings?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am

Malik. Whether it be NBA or P6. He will most definitely at least test the NBA as he is currently projected to be a second round pick.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » February 2nd, 2018, 11:42 am

Fun discussion and it most certainly will change. I think the only certainties are Drake takes a brief but moderate step back going from all Seniors to Freshmen and Missouri State will take a step back. Common rule of thumb- you don't get better when you lose the best player in the league, not to mention 3 other seniors that play big minutes. Oh and Paul Lusk is still the coach or you get a new one and probably lose another 1-2 players to transfer. Evansville probably also has no shot at competing given they only have 2 pieces and a bunch of OVC talent to go with no recruits.

Beyond that it is anyone's ballgame, however there is a middle tier that has more volatilely. This group of teams could compete for a title or play on Thursday. Valpo is going to rely a ton on Ryan Fazekas but he should be a really good stretch 4 in the valley. The freshman from Chi town mentioned can also ball. Not in love with the group around them minus Evelyn. Illinois state will undoubtedly lose someone or someones. They also will return a ton of guys and hopefully add Copeland and/or Romaine to an athletic class. Indiana state has a top 3 player in Barnes and some good looking freshmen wings. The two P6 transfer wings they add next xmas will give them a deep back court. Losing Murphy out of an already iffy front court is a problem. Not sure on their ship position but i'd be hitting the junior college big market hard. UNI has the FOY in Pickford and the highest rated recruit in Green. Not sold on what's around them either. I've seen plenty of UNI games and if Austin Phyfe and Luke Mcdonnell are suppose to take the reigns from Koch and Carlson and people expect things to get better?? lol Be careful what you wish for in that department Panther fans.

Then there are these 3 teams. I think I can safely say these teams will not play on Thursday barring injury or unforeseen events. SIU has the most experience I can remember in the valley and solid athletes across the board. Beane's brother is a nice recruiting coup too. Loyola was discussed at length above and I love what Porter has done recruiting wise there. Custer is a must stay though. We saw what they look like without him and still would have no PG option without him. Bradley will miss Thomas but I love what ive seen out of Childs. That will be another very veteran roster with some depth.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 11:55 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Malik. Whether it be NBA or P6. He will most definitely at least test the NBA as he is currently projected to be a second round pick.

Oh right. Speculative. He needs to work on his jumper before going pro.

If we can keep our "Big 3" and add in Copeland for a perimeter shooter, then we will easily be top 3 in this conference.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » February 2nd, 2018, 12:09 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Malik. Whether it be NBA or P6. He will most definitely at least test the NBA as he is currently projected to be a second round pick.

Oh right. Speculative. He needs to work on his jumper before going pro.

If we can keep our "Big 3" and add in Copeland for a perimeter shooter, then we will easily be top 3 in this conference.

Easily might be pushing it. But yes they would be right in the thick of things. I think depending on how these upper tier teams schedule we could be looking at multi bids next year. The experience and depth of those squads is perfect for stealing a big Nov/Dec win or two against p6 teams that are integrating new FR and SOPH. Time for these schools to schedule up! Other than ISUR the other Illinois schools haven't done that recently. I get why given their struggles in the past 5-8 years, but now is the time to change that. Don't end up like Evansville a few years back when they had 2 of the leagues 5 best players and never got to an NIT. Schedule up!
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 2nd, 2018, 12:19 pm

The birds are coming together after I juries.. Took about a month longer than most of us expected. If nobody of importance transfers and they stay relatively healthy I expect them to be a top 25 next season. If they win their non-conference games they will be because they have a great non-conference schedule.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sycamore79 » February 2nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I expect them to be a top 25 next season. If they win their non-conference games they will be because they have a great non-conference schedule.

:Bam:
sycamore79
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball