2018 MVC - Week 7

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 7

Postby underdawg » February 6th, 2018, 9:42 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:Keyshawn Evans is out 1-3 weeks with a bone contusion if that affects anyone's Redbirds selections...

You guys could play your manager at PG and my Salukis would still have a hard time playing in Normal--we haven't won there since 2007
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » February 6th, 2018, 10:23 am

Old School MVC wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
Next year is big for Jake because there are a lot of people that have given a lot of money to get him to $1MM and the biggest budget in the league that being where we're at is completely unnacceptable and it is. He's endangering the entire athletic department with a salary that big if he doesn't win at a high level. Obviously, we aren't firing him and chances are good this is just a reset year with his track record but there are some folks that are awfully jumpy right now.

I had heard that from one of my friends who has connections to UNI program. I just thought it was a UNI fan complaining, but maybe there is legs to this. His 2 main complaints are Recruiting and Offense. His point is that you can not draw a crowd when you have trouble scoring and winning, but when you are scoring 48 pts and losing it creates a very upset fan base who have no urge to go to the game. He is worried this is setting back UNI Basketball quite a ways.

Rightly or wrongly, I think a lot of fans, and I'm guilty too, look at Jake's 'Best Friend' in Omaha who is all of a sudden running one of the most efficient offenses in college basketball and say 'hey, how is Jake's mentor flexible enough to totally remake himself' but we sit here and watch 20 seconds of dribbling, followed by either a ball screen or false motion that leads to a contested 24 footer at the horn.

You nailed the talent issue as well, we are the most successful remaining program in the league over the past 15 years and our talent level is, at best, 7th in the league, probably 8th and if Niko and Lottich turn on the recruiting 9th. How does that happen regardless of how great you are on the bench or how much you believe in the system?
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » February 6th, 2018, 11:07 am

BCPanther wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
Next year is big for Jake because there are a lot of people that have given a lot of money to get him to $1MM and the biggest budget in the league that being where we're at is completely unnacceptable and it is. He's endangering the entire athletic department with a salary that big if he doesn't win at a high level. Obviously, we aren't firing him and chances are good this is just a reset year with his track record but there are some folks that are awfully jumpy right now.

I had heard that from one of my friends who has connections to UNI program. I just thought it was a UNI fan complaining, but maybe there is legs to this. His 2 main complaints are Recruiting and Offense. His point is that you can not draw a crowd when you have trouble scoring and winning, but when you are scoring 48 pts and losing it creates a very upset fan base who have no urge to go to the game. He is worried this is setting back UNI Basketball quite a ways.

Rightly or wrongly, I think a lot of fans, and I'm guilty too, look at Jake's 'Best Friend' in Omaha who is all of a sudden running one of the most efficient offenses in college basketball and say 'hey, how is Jake's mentor flexible enough to totally remake himself' but we sit here and watch 20 seconds of dribbling, followed by either a ball screen or false motion that leads to a contested 24 footer at the horn.

Are you sure you don't have him mixed up with Marty Simmons?
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » February 6th, 2018, 11:17 am

Tuesday
Sycamores

Wednesday
Ramblers
Panthers
Aces

Thursday
Redbirds

Saturday
Sycamores
Bears
Bulldogs

Sunday
Salukis
Redbirds
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Hrtnfldhse » February 6th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Tuesday
Bears @ Sycamores INSU

Wednesday
Bulldogs @ Ramblers Loyola
Braves @ Panthers UNI
Crusaders @ Aces EVILLE

Thursday
Salukis @ Redbirds SIU

Saturday
Ramblers @ Sycamores LOYOLA
Aces @ Bears EVILLE
Panthers @ Bulldogs DRAKE

Sunday
Braves @ Salukis SIU
Redbirds @ Crusaders ILSU
Hrtnfldhse
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 6th, 2018, 2:05 pm

I suspect Coach Wardle welcomes teams to think they are a push over at anytime. You have to play close to perfect to beat them at Peoria. They are one of the toughest teams, no doubt.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 6th, 2018, 2:41 pm

What's everyone's read on tonight's game? Loser ends up in the play in games for sure?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 6th, 2018, 2:56 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:What's everyone's read on tonight's game? Loser ends up in the play in games for sure?

I think Indiana State wins handily. Seeing them in person on Saturday, they're still playing hard and defending plus Barnes is coming off a game where he didn't shoot well. Missouri State may have given up at this point.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 6th, 2018, 3:00 pm

I get the same read from Indiana State. Watched them in Valpo last Wednesday and that game was an absolute dogfight. Nobody got anything easy that night and both offenses struggled mightily at times.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 6th, 2018, 3:09 pm

underdawg wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Keyshawn Evans is out 1-3 weeks with a bone contusion if that affects anyone's Redbirds selections...

You guys could play your manager at PG and my Salukis would still have a hard time playing in Normal--we haven't won there since 2007

This could be your best chance in years then.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball