Worst MVC Game Roadtrip Due To Weather

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Ace Dad » December 12th, 2010, 3:47 pm

I drove to Valley games from the Kansas City metro and DC metro area from 2001-2005 and dealt with some ice, snow, and bad weather. Last night was fun as I watched the Aces get back on track. Spent some time talking to three former Valleytalk posters, face to face. Was able to say hello to the Coach and meet the Assistants. Best part was spoiling the Grand-babe.

Left Evansville at about 1130 am and am experiencing almost whiteout conditions though Illinois via Interstate 64. In one hour we passed 3 accidents, two jackknifed 18 wheelers, and 10 ditched cars. The typical 7-8 hour trip will take 10-11 hours. Mother Nature wins again.

This got me thinking: what was your worst roadtrip weather experience tied to supporting your Valley team?
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Worst MVC Game Roadtrip Due To Weather

Postby Aces1982 » December 12th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Creighton @ UE

Something like 18 inches of snow on the ground
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby xsaluki » December 12th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Old spice classic in Orlando. The humidity was 100% and my hair kept getting all frizzy.

... Snow storm - Butler/SIU bracketbuster in 2007
xsaluki
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby hot nuts » December 12th, 2010, 9:17 pm

For me it was driving back from an Illinois State loss to Iowa State in the NCAA Tourney in Detroit. An ice storm ensued and a friend and I go stuck on an interstate that got shut down. We ended up sleeping in an ice coated car at diner. Nasty weather!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby beatingrillz » December 12th, 2010, 10:56 pm

MSU @ SIU 2007 went to the game in carbodale and returned home to the worst ice storm and power outage. It took the power company 13 days to get the power back on at my house horrible memories.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jaycat17 » December 13th, 2010, 9:29 am

2007 traveling to Stl i needed to get back to Omaha from where i was going to school about 1.5 hrs north. There was a huge blizzard on thursday so I got up early friday and it took close to 3 hrs to get back to Omaha with plows in the ditch and everything.. Once we got to the Missouri border tho everything was good and it was worth it as the Jays end up winning!!
jaycat17
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby musiccitybulldog » December 13th, 2010, 9:54 am

It would almost be easier to answer "when is it good weather" going to Valley games!

The worst for me was actually in the early 80's and it was such bad weather in Des Moines, I couldn't get home from a home game. It was windy, blowing - drifting snow and windchill like 40-50 below 0.
Not many cars would start including mine in Vet's Auditorium parking lot, walked to a nearby hotel and spent the night.

Had a ton of icy, drifting road trips over the years, seems the last couple years it has been very foggy and some black ice coming home from Evansville.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » December 13th, 2010, 10:28 am

jaycat17 wrote:2007 traveling to Stl i needed to get back to Omaha from where i was going to school about 1.5 hrs north. There was a huge blizzard on thursday so I got up early friday and it took close to 3 hrs to get back to Omaha with plows in the ditch and everything.. Once we got to the Missouri border tho everything was good and it was worth it as the Jays end up winning!!

Oh yes, I made that very same roadtrip at the very same time. As I recall, I-29 was closed from Omaha to the Missouri border, so I had to literally crawl along Highway 75 from Omaha to Nebraska City, then I-29 south to Kansas City. I look back fondly at that extremely dangerous roadtrip now, but if the Jays hadn't won the tournament, I probably wouldn't!
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby iSASO » December 17th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Had to have been airport delays on the way to Washington D.C. for the NCAA Sweet Sixteen game in 2006. I didn't get there until 1:15am, which made for a really short following day.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball