MVC Player of the Year - Who you got?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who wins this year's MVC Player of the Year?

Alize Johnson
14%
Clayton Custer
39%
Reed Timmer
19%
Milik Yarbrough
16%
Ryan Taylor
7%
Jordan Barnes
No votes
Brenton Scott
2%
Other
4%

Total votes : 57

Re: MVC Player of the Year - Who you got?

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 17th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Medved is coach of the year and it's not close.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » February 17th, 2018, 12:21 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Medved is coach of the year and it's not close.

I’d have agreed a few weeks ago but what Hinsons done with 6 healthy bodies is absurd and hard to ignore
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 17th, 2018, 12:36 pm

That's totally fair. Hinson is a valid choice. I'm not saying Moser isn't but I think he'll end up third despite this being Loyola's best year in 30+ seasons simply because most expected Loyola to be good and he has delivered on--even exceeded--those expectations. The problem is that he hasn't done so to the degree that Medved or Hinson (in light of the injury adversity his team has faced) have. Such a weird year. Moser wins it with this performance most years, but not this year. Isn't it crazy that Wardle, who absolutely deserves consideration for keeping the improvements going at Bradley probably won't even get a sniff this year. What a year it's been.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » February 17th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Also have to remember who the voters are... coaches, sports information directors and a media panel, and voters can't vote for their own player. So you give Johnson and Timmer a plus because they're seniors, and give Timmer a bit more for being a four-year player, all time leading scorer at Drake, and the good season Drake has had. I don't believe Loyola has a media guy recognized by the MVC, so that may have an impact. Point guards have won three of the past four years.

But best player on best team really means more than anything else. Since 2002-03, all but two POTY winners have come from teams that won or shared the regular season conference title. The only two years it didn't (2014-15 and 2011-12), POTY was the 2nd place team. Take a look at the past winners:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/aw ... c-poy.html
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ahunte1 » February 17th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Custer is also 10th in the country in 3pt shooting, and 8th in True Shooting %. Per pomeroy.

Conference play: 54% from 3 (1st) and 63% from 2 (3rd). 5th in steal% and assist rate.

I don't see how anyone can argue for another guard over him. Alize I could see, but to my eye, he doesn't impact his team in the say way Custer does.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » February 17th, 2018, 4:15 pm

As for COY.....everybody always wants the guy who wins the league. I have little respect for Hinsons coaching....until this year. SIU shouldn't be anywhere near 2nd. Medved has made Drake.....not Drake when they were VERY Drake last year. Moser has done a great job building this team and continuing to climb after last years graduations. All 3 are deserving on their merits. No need for formulas of coach of the league winner.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » February 18th, 2018, 10:53 am

I think Custer should win , but I have to laugh at anyone who minimizes what Alize Johnson does. One of the rarest things in basketball is an elite rebounder. Most teams will have a couple guys scoring the ball, and I place a great value on shot makers, but you can look at whole leagues and not see an elite rebounder.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » February 18th, 2018, 11:44 am

And people can not forget that Johnson is double teamed every time he touches the ball down low. Doubt Custer gets double near as much. It affects Johnson's stat line. Just wish he could have a few more assists.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 18th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Old School MVC wrote:And people can not forget that Johnson is double teamed every time he touches the ball down low. Doubt Custer gets double near as much. It affects Johnson's stat line. Just wish he could have a few more assists.

Yarbrough has been eating double teams for last 6 games. Still got 25 two games in a row. He made adjustmemts.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 19th, 2018, 8:41 am

POY--
Custer
Johnson
Timmer

COY--
Hinson
Moser
Medved/Wardle

NOY--
Yarbrough
Pippen