MVC Player of the Year - Who you got?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who wins this year's MVC Player of the Year?

Alize Johnson
14%
Clayton Custer
39%
Reed Timmer
19%
Milik Yarbrough
16%
Ryan Taylor
7%
Jordan Barnes
No votes
Brenton Scott
2%
Other
4%

Total votes : 57

Re: MVC Player of the Year - Who you got?

Postby glm38 » February 17th, 2018, 2:00 am

I'm a homer but I think Alize is far and away the best player. But usually the best player on the best team wins the award. So it will probably be Custer.
Last edited by glm38 on February 17th, 2018, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Old School MVC » February 17th, 2018, 6:37 am

ISUSOX13 wrote:Custer
Johnson
Timmer
Yarbrough
Taylor

I hope those five are recognized on the first-team All-MVC squad.

POY-Custer (I like to reward the top player on the best team).
NOY-Yarbrough
FOY-Krutwig
COY-Barry

I would post, but this is exactly what I would vote for!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » February 17th, 2018, 8:59 am

If you don't believe it should go to the best player on the best team, it must be Alize.
It isn't all about stats but averaging easily a double double is rare. I never have thought it had to go to a high scorer because they usually are a product of the system they play in. I never have bought the best player/team thing either. Being on the best team might have more to do with it than the player.
Most valuable......would Custer lead the other teams in the league to the title? I doubt it. Would Alize elevate the other teams? Undoubtedly. Would any coach in the league choose Custer over Alize to add to their team?

If it's not Alize Johnson, add that to the very long list of Lusk failures!
Last edited by bleach on February 17th, 2018, 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby usmcsaluki » February 17th, 2018, 9:01 am

Custer should walk away with this one, and to me it's pretty cut and dry when you incorporate the standings; you usually see the best player on the best team win POY so I think it goes to Custer. What's crazy about Loyola is that if Krutwig keeps developing he may win a few of those awards himself; hopefully Thik Bol gives him a nice introduction next year!
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » February 17th, 2018, 9:25 am

I voted for Reed Timmer. Top scorer all time at Drake and I think they'd be a Thursday team without him. Also just dropped 39 against Indiana St.

IMO I think Moser should be coach of the year. He took a terrible Loyola program from the bottom of the Horizon to the top of the MVC.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby goramblers2011 » February 17th, 2018, 10:29 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I think ryan taylor should win but reed timmer is a close second. They won't though. I don't think Custer will win. And, he shouldnt. Both him and taylor missed time but Taylor's numbers are better overall. Huge lead in points. Johnson will win. He shouldnt. I'm sorry but I just don't see the hype. 15.6 points? He's a possible first rounder at 15.6 points in the valley? The Redbirds have 3 guys better than that. Nothing special. He has dsome nice rebounding numbers at 11.5 but outside of that he only has 0.5 steals and 0.5 blocks, 2.6 assists, and 29% from 3. Hard pass if I'm an NBA team. After looking at each players stats my ballot looks like this:

1. Taylor
2. Timmer
3. Johnson
4. Yarbrough
5. Custer
6. Barnes
7. Scott (not even worth a mention on this ballot)

Custer 5th? :huh: :huh: :huh: :Beer: :Beer: :Beer: :roll: :roll:

Custer 14.5 ppg and 4.0 assists (his second biggest attribute)

Taylor - 21.3 ppg. Enough said
Yarbrough - 16.5 ppg and 4.6 assists. Both better than Custer.
Johnson - 15.6 ppg and 11.5 rebounds . Ppg better and second best attribute kills anyone in the valley.

Yeah, it's easy to make a legitimate case for Custer at 4th or 5th. Stop being biased.

My bias? Your bias against LU has been clear for a long time.

If you think the POY is all about stats, you haven't been paying attention. The past two seasons, the MVCPOY was not in the top 5 in scoring, but did happen to be the team leader of the league champion

-Paris Lee won last year. And was #1 in assists and steals...not in top 5 for scoring. Coincidentally, Jaylon Brown, an Evansville player, led the league in PPG.

-Fred VanFleet won in 2015-2016. And was #1 in assists, #3 in steals and top 5 in nothing else. Coincidentally, D.J. Balentine, an Evansville player led the league in PPG.

This is a three horse race between Custer, Johnson and Timmer. I think Custer is in the lead based on the MVCPOY selections the past two seasons. But would not be surprised to see Johnson win.

There is 0% chance he finishes 5th.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 17th, 2018, 11:16 am

I find myself torn between Custer Johnson and Timmer.

Johnson's numbers jump out at me because he averaged a double double but his team underachieved so badly

Timmer piles up the points and his team was also unexpectedly very good this year . But he had a great year last year too and Drake was awful. I think Drake's turnaround has more to do with coaching than with Timmer.

It's hard to give a POY award to a team that underachieves so Lusk is going to hurt Johnson's candidacy.

Custer is top 10 in scoring and top 5 in assists and steals. He's also the best player on the best team without whom the Ramblers were awful. He's got a lot going for him.

If Illinois State had had a better year I think Yarbrough blows away the field with his balance across statistical categories, but it's hard to hold ISU's record against him. He's top 6 in scoring assists and rebounding and did so on a team that faced a ton of roster turnover and who played a super tough schedule. He definitely deserves more consideration than he's getting. If he's back next year, I expect a great three horse race between Custer Taylor and Yarbrough but I can think of numerous players that may have a few things to say about that shortlist. I love this conference. It's so deep and talent-rich.

My vote is for Custer but this is a super close race.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 17th, 2018, 11:39 am

My bias against loyola? The only team I ever joke about is drake. And, they've made me keep my mouth shut this season.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 17th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Medved is coach of the year and it's not close.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » February 17th, 2018, 12:21 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Medved is coach of the year and it's not close.

I’d have agreed a few weeks ago but what Hinsons done with 6 healthy bodies is absurd and hard to ignore
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball