MVC Player of the Year - Who you got?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who wins this year's MVC Player of the Year?

Alize Johnson
14%
Clayton Custer
39%
Reed Timmer
19%
Milik Yarbrough
16%
Ryan Taylor
7%
Jordan Barnes
No votes
Brenton Scott
2%
Other
4%

Total votes : 57

Re: MVC Player of the Year - Who you got?

Postby ahunte1 » February 17th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Custer is also 10th in the country in 3pt shooting, and 8th in True Shooting %. Per pomeroy.

Conference play: 54% from 3 (1st) and 63% from 2 (3rd). 5th in steal% and assist rate.

I don't see how anyone can argue for another guard over him. Alize I could see, but to my eye, he doesn't impact his team in the say way Custer does.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bleach » February 17th, 2018, 4:15 pm

As for COY.....everybody always wants the guy who wins the league. I have little respect for Hinsons coaching....until this year. SIU shouldn't be anywhere near 2nd. Medved has made Drake.....not Drake when they were VERY Drake last year. Moser has done a great job building this team and continuing to climb after last years graduations. All 3 are deserving on their merits. No need for formulas of coach of the league winner.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » February 18th, 2018, 10:53 am

I think Custer should win , but I have to laugh at anyone who minimizes what Alize Johnson does. One of the rarest things in basketball is an elite rebounder. Most teams will have a couple guys scoring the ball, and I place a great value on shot makers, but you can look at whole leagues and not see an elite rebounder.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » February 18th, 2018, 11:44 am

And people can not forget that Johnson is double teamed every time he touches the ball down low. Doubt Custer gets double near as much. It affects Johnson's stat line. Just wish he could have a few more assists.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 18th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Old School MVC wrote:And people can not forget that Johnson is double teamed every time he touches the ball down low. Doubt Custer gets double near as much. It affects Johnson's stat line. Just wish he could have a few more assists.

Yarbrough has been eating double teams for last 6 games. Still got 25 two games in a row. He made adjustmemts.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 19th, 2018, 8:41 am

POY--
Custer
Johnson
Timmer

COY--
Hinson
Moser
Medved/Wardle

NOY--
Yarbrough
Pippen

FOY--
Pickford
Krutwig
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RamblerFan » February 19th, 2018, 8:59 am

POY- Custer
COY- Hinson
NOY- Yarbrough
FOY- Krutwig
RamblerFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Majik45 » February 19th, 2018, 9:09 am

Based on history, Custer will win POY. I know Johnson is a beast, but history says it goes to the best player on the best team, and Custer is worthy of the award. Hard to give it to Johnson with his team finishing so low compared to preseason expectations.

To me the real interesting award will be COY. I could make an argument for Moser, Hinson, or Medved. And I would not have a problem with any of them winning it. Moser just because he was able to seize the moment and win a wide open MVC race by possibly 3 games depending on the outcome of the game Wednesday night.

And how can you argue against Barry? He took a team picked to finish 5th, that was devastated by injuries all year long, and has them sitting in 2nd place by themselves playing a game at home Wednesday to have a chance to share the league title.

Same thing with Medved. He took a team that finished last place the last 2 years, and were picked to finish last again this year, to a team that is currently in 3rd and fighting for 2nd place.

Can you really go wrong with any of these 3 choices?
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 19th, 2018, 9:39 am

Gregggggggggggggg Marshall for COY!

(man I do not miss the butt hurt Shocker fans each year complaining about these awards)

POY - Custer
COY - Hinson/Moser (okay with either)
NCOY - Yarbrough
FOY - Krutwig
6th man of the year - ??? (I think this is an award?)
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 19th, 2018, 10:04 am

PoY - Timmer
CoY - Medved
NoY - Milik
FoY - Krutwig

1st Team
Timmer
Custer
Johnson
Barnes
Fletcher

I think PoY could be a toss up, if Missouri State didn't suck, this would be easy to pick. Timmer or Custer is a close race. Coach is tough too. For me, it came down to Medved and old Port. Medved did a lot to get Drake off Thursday and I feel he gets the nod, and as bad a Port was in Normal, I have a hard time giving him anything.

First team was super tough, because after the top 3, you could go with 2 of about 8 different guys. Will be very interesting. Barnes and Fletcher for me, but I don't really have a good argument for/against anyone outside the top 3.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball