Fred Van Fleet named in Yahoo Investigation

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Fred Van Fleet named in Yahoo Investigation

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 23rd, 2018, 1:40 pm

davidfast wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:THIS. IS. HUGE.

And well beyond FVV (not Fleet as the subject reads)....big schools, big names!

Woah.

This part of what's to come isn't huge. Some of the released information are dinners with an agent who paid for them as well. Those are minor NCAA infractions. Most of this revel is far from huge.

The list in the middle of this article has big names for big money. This is huge. Unfortunately, all amounts are illegal and crackdowns will happen just watch.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » February 23rd, 2018, 2:01 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:
AndShock wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:
I'm sure that will satisfy everyone!

Hard for any of us to throw shade these days, who knows where all of this will lead.

My point is that I think this is all on Fred. I could turn out to be wrong, but based on the information given I still think that Marshall tries to do everything clean.

sorry man, no school, especially a small school like Wichita St from a mid conference can sustain their level of success without bags of money and other perks under the table. As others have said, it happens everywhere so this is not to single out the Shox, but "clean program" isn't in Marshall's bio

Who are these great recruits that we’re landing from cheating? Fred was given money his senior year by an agent when it was evident he was going to be an NBA player. Are we paying kids like Austin Reaves and Ron Baker who are recruited by 2 D1 schools? Our program was built on players who picked us over no one.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » February 23rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

FVV's name coming up in all this shows how much financial motivation there is for agents to be doing this stuff. The agent made a $3000 bet on him and if you assume a 3% commission, the agent would have earned $105,000 from FVV's $3.5 million dollar contract this year ALONE. It would give the agents plenty of motivation to throw money around, even if a lot of the bets put on players don't pay off.

Everybody should be nervous as more of this comes out.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby All-MVC Fan » February 23rd, 2018, 5:06 pm

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:Southeastern Carolina MidState Junior College is going to get the death penalty out of this, while Duke and UNC will be found to be free of sanctions.

More NCAA status quo.

This...^^^^
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » February 23rd, 2018, 6:34 pm

I could be wrong but I doubt Marshall and WSU had knowledge of this. And if that's true It will only minimally affect WSU.

But it has to be disappointing to WSU fans that Fred would do that. They always held him up as a role model type. IMO he's permanently damaged his college/WSU legacy. Maybe he doesn't care about that now but I'll bet he will at some point in his life.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » February 23rd, 2018, 8:42 pm

glm38 wrote:I could be wrong but I doubt Marshall and WSU had knowledge of this. And if that's true It will only minimally affect WSU.

But it has to be disappointing to WSU fans that Fred would do that. They always held him up as a role model type. IMO he's permanently damaged his college/WSU legacy. Maybe he doesn't care about that now but I'll bet he will at some point in his life.

That’s exactly what’s going on right now. Disappointment that the “team first” guy who always represented WSU in a first-class manner did something that only helps him and possibly results in wins and accomplishments that his teammates and coaches earned taken away and possible future penalties for the school.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » February 24th, 2018, 8:10 am

I would laugh so hard if Wichita got banned from postseason play for a couple of years since they have to travel all over the place now to play games. What would be even funnier is if Greg Marshall left the program during that time period.

Also the news that a Wichita State player was taking benefits is not a shocker.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bufan741777 » February 24th, 2018, 10:10 am

mvfcfan wrote:I would laugh so hard if Wichita got banned from postseason play for a couple of years since they have to travel all over the place now to play games. What would be even funnier is if Greg Marshall left the program during that time period.

Also the news that a Wichita State player was taking benefits is not a shocker.

Give Em Hell! I really had respect for the WSU program as they built it in the MVC. When they left I tried to ignore the WSU fans that were trash talking the MVC because I was thinking "Hey, any program will want to move forward and there will be fans that think they are better than everyone else for it."

Now, going onto different chat boards, especially the WSU board, I keep seeing their fans say they hope that if they get punished that the MVC loses their money from the NCAA tournament for WSU. I even saw one person refer to it as a "silver lining." If this is how their fans are still acting then I have lost all respect for that program which I find disappointing because I wanted to like and watch that program. I'm glad this news came out. Even if they don't get punished much or at all at least their name in the media with all of this hurts their program reputation.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aargh » February 24th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Alize Johnson was pegged higher in NBA draft projections going into his Sr year than VanVleet.

There's a good possibility Johnson has been approached by an agent (or agents) with the same type of offer that VanVleet got. The competition among agents to represent guys who will even be making 6 figures in Euro ball is insane.

Any school with NBA potential players on their roster is likely to have players taking improper benefits at some point.

There is a difference between an agent dropping a couple K on a college Sr to influence a player's decision to hire a rer, and providing the same kind of money to a HS Sr to influence his college choice.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » February 25th, 2018, 12:44 am

Not under today's rules.

You broke a rule. Stop trying to rationalize it.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball