Fred Van Fleet named in Yahoo Investigation

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby RamblerFan » February 23rd, 2018, 7:18 am

Thought it would be of interest to this group that Fred Van Fleet was on the take during his time at Wichita. Pat Forde released some documents and Fred's name was listed among the players receiving loans from an agency during his time in school.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html
RamblerFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Fred Van Fleet named in Yahoo Investigation

Postby chitown fanatic » February 23rd, 2018, 7:58 am

big surprise here.... what about their other dude that magically was able to pay his own way?
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 23rd, 2018, 8:10 am

That is a herculean surprise. Loved the Shockers’ 2013 Final Four run. I think the player who paid his own way was Malcolm Armstead?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 23rd, 2018, 8:16 am

This is just the tip of the iceburg. Yahoo! only got a fraction of the documents. May be up to 40,000 more pages.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » February 23rd, 2018, 8:24 am

Big difference between a school paying recruits and players taking a loan from their agent before they go to the NBA. The fact that Fred had to go to an agent for $1k makes WSU as a whole look pretty clean, imo. Not defending Fred at all and I bet Marshall will tear him a new one next time they talk.

All wins after the payments obviously deserve to be vacated (sounds like it was well after the Final Four) and Fred will certainly have a tarnished legacy from here on out.

As for Armstead, he was on scholarship when he played and paid his own way while he sat. Same as Conner Frankamp and Ron Baker. Not sure if you think WSU threw him $10k or an agent but I would imagine just getting a $10k loan from the government would probably be easier.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 23rd, 2018, 8:32 am

AndShock wrote:Big difference between a school paying recruits and players taking a loan from their agent before they go to the NBA.

Agreed. Pretty selfish of FVV to sell out the program’s/teammates’ accomplishments for $1k.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RamblerFan » February 23rd, 2018, 8:34 am

Im a Buckeyes football fan...and during Tattoogate those kids were getting free services from folks outside the program. Yet the NCAA still hit them with a post season ban, destroyed Jim Tressel and 5 OSU players. A portion of that was because the NCAA felt that Tressel knew about the tattoos but didnt stop it...so I believe WSUs (and everyone elses in this mess) will come down to whether or not the NCAA thinks the schools knew about it or not.
RamblerFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 23rd, 2018, 8:42 am

THIS. IS. HUGE.

And well beyond FVV (not Fleet as the subject reads)....big schools, big names!

Woah.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » February 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am

AndShock wrote:Not defending Fred at all and I bet Marshall will tear him a new one next time they talk.

I'm sure that will satisfy everyone!

Hard for any of us to throw shade these days, who knows where all of this will lead.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 23rd, 2018, 9:46 am

Maybe I am on an island, but I am not surprised. Shady stuff is happening everywhere. You don't have to be at a marquee school. There are things like this happening everywhere. If someone came out and said 5 teams in the Valley today had this going on, I wouldn't be stunned. It is just part of college athletics in 2018.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball