First post...Thursday Night predictions and Friday Matchups?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Go4Valley » February 25th, 2018, 3:34 pm

I am no expert but I enjoy Valley Hoops...I am curious to see what everyone sees for the potential wins Thursday and matchups for Friday

#8 Evansville vs #9 Northern Iowa 6:00pm

The kickoff game of Arch Madness is a matchup of two of the more underachieving teams in the Valley this season. Evenly matched as both teams split the season series in low scoring affairs. UNI big man Bennet Koch will play after sitting out the Senior Day win vs Missouri State. His supporting cast headed by Klint Carlson, Tywhon Pickford, Hunter Rhodes and Wyatt Lohaus have played better the last few weeks and always present challenges for any offense as Ben Jacobson teams usually play solid defense. I expected this team to compete for league title

Marty Simmons' Purple Aces are back in the same game they were in game last year as 8th seed. Ryan Taylor is a scoring machine while Dru Smith and Blake Simmons are solid contributors. Dainius Chatkevious provides the Purple Aces size and rebounding. Very battle tested team that has shown it can play with anyone in the Valley. Blowing SIU out by 31 points on Senior Day should be proof enough this team is not to be overlooked

Prediction: Last affair Feb 13th was a lackluster performance from both teams. I dont expect 47-41 nor do I expect Ryan Taylor to not get any help offensively with Dru Smith back in the fold. I look for Senior Blake Simmons to go all out and have a big game and provide that Senior leadership people exoect from him. Bennett Koch vs EU frontline will be intriguing. Also the coaching battle of Simmons vs Jacobson should be fun. Although I believe Evansville can emerge with a W... I still just feel at end of the night UNI's Senior leadership will reign supreme in a very close one. The Seniors have seen the NCAA tournament twice and still remember being a 3 seed in last year's Arch Madness only to be bounced out early by Missouri State. UNI 65 EU 63

#7 Missouri State vs #10 Valparaiso 8:30pm

Missouri State has easily been one of the most frustrating and maddening programs in all of college basketball this season. Picked to win the regular-season Missouri Valley Conference title they miserably failed and had losing streaks of five and four games leading to an 8 win conference season. Coach Paul Lusk has heavily criticized sense he became a head coach in Springfield but the criticisms have grown even harsher throughout this 2017-2018 campaign.Valparaiso is new to the MVC after being successful in the Horizon League for many years. Initially started non conference well but lost key players and took a toll on team in beginning of league play. Matt Lottich leads a team who just won its first league road game who has had a turnaround in league play overall in February. The Bears swepted The Crusaders but the matchup in Springfield was much closer than first meeting.

Senior Foward Alize Johnson, who is a NBA prospect, is the leading scorer and rebounder for the Bears. His play dictates the success of the team as when he plays bad the team looks awful. Graduate Transfer JT Miller provides elite atlethicism at guard while Jarred Dixon and Freshman Mustafa Lawrence are the primary ball handlers. Jarrid Rhodes is a 6'6 sharp shooting foward and Obediah Church is the Bears best defender.

Tevonn Walker is leading the team in scoring at 14.4 pts/gm and his other fellow Senior backcourt mate Max Joseph is a heady experienced guard averging over 7 pts a game. Bakari Evelyn is a super sophomore scorer who can put points up from anywhere on floor. Son of Former NBA center Rick Smith, Derrick Smits is a big bodied 7'2 post presence who is growing game by game as a center. Other 7 footer Jaume Sorollo helps add size to a very young team that will be expected to compete in MVC next year. Mileek McMillan and Markus Golder are spry Forwards who will keep improving as well.

Prediction: Valpo has to be feeling quite high from completing a season sweep of the fourth seed Drake Bulldogs. After getting finally acclimated to the style of the Missouri Valley Conference they now enter into their first Conference tournament with much-needed confidence. The last meeting between these two teams had Bears feeling the best they had been all season at 15-5. From there the wheels fell off. Reserve Fowards Reggie Scurry and Abdul Fofana had adverse reaction to cryotherapy. Defensively they have talen a step back and the offense is very inconsistent. Expect Derrick Smits to have another good game vs the smaller Bears frontline and Tevonn Walker to shoot better than he did in Des Moines. Evelyn is a X factor as he can create his own shot. With that said...only coaching seat hotter than Lusk's resides in Arizona. His players have to be embarrassed being in the PIG. Alize Johnson will provide another double double but play much better than he did in Cedar Falls. I see Dixon continuing his recent good play with steady production from Miller, Lawrence and Rhodes from perimeter vs a very good perimeter defrnse. Watch for Obediah Church to assert himself offensively and on glass. Strong balanced 2nd half leads to MSU 68 Valpo 56

Friday Matchups based off my Thursday predictions

#9 Northern Iowa vs #1 Loyola-Chicago 12:00 noon

Loyola swepted series...one close game and one blowout

#4 Drake vs #5 Bradley 2:30pm

Drake swept in two very competitive games. Will Darrel Brown be healthy?

#2 Southern Illinois vs # 7 Missouri State 6:00pm

SIU swept where both games came down to last shot. Does Lusk live to fight another day?

#3 Illinois State vs # 6 Indiana State 8:30pm

Only split series on Friday. Redbirds OT home win and Sycamores blowout in Terra Haute. Last game of long day

I think those who will be in STL this week will be in store for epic weekend with many twists and turns. Anyone can win this tournament. Thank God
Go4Valley
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First post...Thursday Night predictions and Friday Match

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 25th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Welcome to the crib! Stick around!

Thursday night’s purple party should be an emotional farewell tour in the Simmons’ household. The nightcap could spur a run in the bottom bracket where SIU just lost 2 games by 50 and the 3-seed hasn’t advanced since Lowery and Jankovich coached here. Maybe Cliff Smart ends up calling his shot like a prophet from a year ago. :Cheers:
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » February 25th, 2018, 4:10 pm

That's a hell of a first post!
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 25th, 2018, 4:41 pm

I am going with Evansville and Valparaiso as winners Thursday.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Go4Valley » February 25th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Musiccity....I can see that happening too especially if Taylor gets hot for EU....and well MSU Jekyll and Hyde act doesnt inspire much. Still see two good games
Go4Valley
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redbird90 » February 25th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Evansville and UNI are a toss-up in my mind. I could see Valpo going on a nice run. They have gotten hot lately....I think they will dispense of Lusk's group. Barry's boys have not been stellar of late, so a Valpo/SIU matchup could be pretty interesting, IMO. In any case, this is as wide open as it has been in a long, long time.
Redbird90
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aces44 » February 25th, 2018, 7:55 pm

You lost all credibility when you called the Aces EU.
It’s UE. Always has been, always will.
Aces44
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Go4Valley » February 25th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Forgive me Aces44....UE....my fault
Go4Valley
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby chitown fanatic » February 26th, 2018, 8:49 am

Very decent analysis...would like to see your thorough report on the other quarterfinal matchups as well, particularly BU and Drake :Cheers:
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby GoSIU88 » February 26th, 2018, 8:52 am

Aces44 wrote:You lost all credibility when you called the Aces EU.
It’s UE. Always has been, always will.

Hasn't always been. Used to be EC. :bounce:
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball