Ben Richardson DPOY?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Ben Richardson DPOY?

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 28th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Go to individual stats for each player. They simply have better stats thats all I'm saying. Cant deny that. More steals per game on average, more blocks per game on average, more defensive reboundes per game on average. Numbers don't lie. I'm sorry, they just don't. And, its not just Fayne and Yarbrough. There are numerous more examples across the MVC. Ben Richardson doesnt deserve this award because he plays on Loyola or is known for his hustle and being scrappy. Hell, we could say the same for Matt Hein of ISUr but none of us even want him on the team. Don't get me wrong, Richardson is a good player and I'd want him on my team but he's simply not the best defender in the MVC. It's not even debatable. He won a popularity contest that's all.

All the LOLz.

Richardson winning DPOY award withstanding....

Can you honestly say we are a good defensive team at Illinois State this year? I know we are negative in rebounds per game vs opponent. I just don't see your argument at all. We were not good this year defensively. Our perimeter defense is crap. Our rebounding is crap. I don't know if you are stuck in 2016-2017 season, but this Redbird team is not good defensively and no matter what stats you think defend your case (which you have literally shown me zero), they are wrong. Fayne and Yarbrough do NOT deserve this award more than Richardson. Time to drop the "homer" act on this one dude.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RamblerFan » February 28th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Here is my stat to say that Ben is the DPOY...The Ramblers are 7th in the country in points allowed per game, he is the teams best defender. For comparisons sake, ISUr is 212th in points allowed per game.
RamblerFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 28th, 2018, 2:49 pm

RamblerFan wrote:Here is my stat to say that Ben is the DPOY...The Ramblers are 7th in the country in points allowed per game, he is the teams best defender. For comparisons sake, ISUr is 212th in points allowed per game.

This is more or less what my case would have been for DLO at Bradley. Idk all the numbers, but I'm pretty sure Bradley is one of the better defensive teams in the valley, and DLO is the best defender on our team. I'm not saying I necessarily think that DLO should be DPOY over Richardson, but if I was going to make an argument against him (or anyone else in the league), that would be where I would start.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Blers » February 28th, 2018, 3:43 pm

In two games against Illinois State Richardson was matched up against Yarbrough and he scored a total of 24 points to go along with 15 turnovers in two games.

In the game at Southern Illinois he was matched up with Smith-Peters (it was his senior night and he was one of southerns best threats in the first matchup), Smith-Peters finished the game with 0 points. When Smith Peters was off he was matched up against Wiley who was scoreless from the field (4FT's).

Reed Timmer was held to 10 in the first matchup on 3-11 shooting. 16 on 6-15 in the second (not outstanding but still solid work)

I already mentioned how he shut down Evelyn after being switched midway through their second match up...

Not everything is a players own stats.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 28th, 2018, 4:16 pm

RamblerFan wrote:Here is my stat to say that Ben is the DPOY...The Ramblers are 7th in the country in points allowed per game, he is the teams best defender. For comparisons sake, ISUr is 212th in points allowed per game.

Which makes that argument even more asinine for my Redbirds players...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 28th, 2018, 4:41 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Go to individual stats for each player. They simply have better stats thats all I'm saying. Cant deny that. More steals per game on average, more blocks per game on average, more defensive reboundes per game on average. Numbers don't lie. I'm sorry, they just don't. And, its not just Fayne and Yarbrough. There are numerous more examples across the MVC. Ben Richardson doesnt deserve this award because he plays on Loyola or is known for his hustle and being scrappy. Hell, we could say the same for Matt Hein of ISUr but none of us even want him on the team. Don't get me wrong, Richardson is a good player and I'd want him on my team but he's simply not the best defender in the MVC. It's not even debatable. He won a popularity contest that's all.

All the LOLz.

Richardson winning DPOY award withstanding....

Can you honestly say we are a good defensive team at Illinois State this year? I know we are negative in rebounds per game vs opponent. I just don't see your argument at all. We were not good this year defensively. Our perimeter defense is crap. Our rebounding is crap. I don't know if you are stuck in 2016-2017 season, but this Redbird team is not good defensively and no matter what stats you think defend your case (which you have literally shown me zero), they are wrong. Fayne and Yarbrough do NOT deserve this award more than Richardson. Time to drop the "homer" act on this one dude.

Again, I'm not saying they deserve it. I'm just saying their numbers in blocks, steals, and defensive rebounds, and all rebounds together are better. Do I really need to provide a link or do you know what Google is? All I'm saying is they're are better. I'm not being a homer just using two players fro my favorite team as an example. Yes, the Redbirds are bad defensively but still have two guys with better stats than Richardson. That's just on ISUr. I'm sure there are players better than ISUr I just don't have the time to look up 120+ Valley players that dressed this season.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/

Here's the link for those of you who are deficient with technology, SMH.

Where it says enter person's name that means to put the player's name there (facepalm).
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 28th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Wow, really? You of all people are going to come at me like that? You clearly don't care enough to do the work here and clearly can't show correlation to an individual's rebounds or steals to his ability to lock down whoever he is guarding.

I have shown you team stats in KenPom defensive efficiency and how outrageous showcasing some stats can be in the case for defensive awards. You do nothing but spew your crap and show me nothing of substance. YOUR argument was and is weak. You were lazy making it, because in the end you correlated the winner (Richardson) for winning based solely on the team he played for.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tony_throckmorton » February 28th, 2018, 10:16 pm

I have only watched a few of the redbirds games this year but historically they have played a lot of zone, which they did in the game at Loyola last weekend. It is tough for an individual in a zone-heavy defense to win DPOY unless maybe it is a big who gets alot of blocks. But typically when you think DPOY, its the guy who gives the best offensive players the worst time
tony_throckmorton
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Majik45 » March 1st, 2018, 12:41 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I'm just saying their numbers in blocks, steals, and defensive rebounds, and all rebounds together are better.

There's a lot more to defense than just blocks, steals, and rebounds.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball