Go4Valley
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Ben Richardson DPOY?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ben Richardson DPOY?

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 27th, 2018, 9:58 pm

He’s had a great year defensively. Loyola as a team got lit up a few times in the 6 weeks he missed. No way Stull (UWM) for example has the game he did if Richardson played.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 27th, 2018, 9:59 pm

I haven checked everybody in the conference but Fayne and Yarbrough (ISUr fan) both have better numbers. Obviously went to the conference winner just like POY even though Custer didn't have best numbers.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 27th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Coaching, systems, tempo, movement, spacing, dynamics vary team to team. Custer won’t have top raw numbers on a team that plays as slow (294th) and shares the ball as well as Loyola. He’s the engine in Rogers Park.

23-2/2-3 > raw numbers
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 27th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I haven checked everybody in the conference but Fayne and Yarbrough (ISUr fan) both have better numbers. Obviously went to the conference winner just like POY even though Custer didn't have best numbers.

What numbers???
Neither Yarbrough nor Fayne should be defensive player of the year...

Don't be a homer.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 27th, 2018, 10:50 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I haven checked everybody in the conference but Fayne and Yarbrough (ISUr fan) both have better numbers. Obviously went to the conference winner just like POY even though Custer didn't have best numbers.

What numbers???

Don't be a homer.

i agree they shouldn't. but numbers wise they are better. the award is best players from winner
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » February 28th, 2018, 8:17 am

Doesn't always lead to stats but I thought he was the best on ball defender I saw in conference
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 28th, 2018, 8:22 am

I would have given it to Church. Good on ball defending and can block shots coming from the weak side. I am less skilled at evaluating how good guards are at on ball defending. That being said...Tevonn Walker was annoying to play against.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 28th, 2018, 9:22 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

What numbers???

Don't be a homer.

i agree they shouldn't. but numbers wise they are better. the award is best players from winner

ISUr was not good defensively this year. 151st in the country for AdjD per KenPom. That would be 9th out of 10 teams in the MVC.

Not sure what numbers you are looking at, but nobody from ISUr deserves to sniff all-defensive team nor is this an argument you should make for us.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 28th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Go to individual stats for each player. They simply have better stats thats all I'm saying. Cant deny that. More steals per game on average, more blocks per game on average, more defensive reboundes per game on average. Numbers don't lie. I'm sorry, they just don't. And, its not just Fayne and Yarbrough. There are numerous more examples across the MVC. Ben Richardson doesnt deserve this award because he plays on Loyola or is known for his hustle and being scrappy. Hell, we could say the same for Matt Hein of ISUr but none of us even want him on the team. Don't get me wrong, Richardson is a good player and I'd want him on my team but he's simply not the best defender in the MVC. He won a popularity contest that's all. And, before you tell me I'm wrong provide stats to back up your argument because I've looked at the stats. I can list at least five people who have better defensive stats than him and have already named two.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball