Paul Lusk Fired

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Paul Lusk Fired

Postby jackwagon » March 5th, 2018, 1:03 pm

If valley teams are smart they will hire a few of MSU's assistants. Quality recruiters
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » March 5th, 2018, 1:50 pm

pafan wrote:At times like these, it is worth remembering that even failed basketball coaches can be a positive influence on a young man's life. MSU's Greg Williams expressed his appreciation for Lusk and his assistants over the weekend and I decided it was worth sharing.

https://twitter.com/Jim_Connell_417/sta ... 1528758272

Wins and losses are important, but so too is being a respectable man, even when the seat you occupy is getting hot.

By most accounts other than a few talented players who got frustrated with Lusk's inebtness while playing for him,most of his players liked him and how he treated them. Williams is such an unfortunate case as injuries in HS led to botched surgeries and he had a defective immune system response as well. A once top 100 rated recruit , he never was able to get medical clearance to play in 2 years at MSU and just this week called it quits on basketball. We all wish him well, and hope for his success in whatever life endeavors follow.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 5th, 2018, 3:45 pm

As with all coaching hires the question is---what is MSU willing to pay.

I've heard people I trust say they are willing to really spend...and I've also heard people I trust say the salary will be restrained. There is a group of guys if they spend, and a different group if they don't.

And neither way guarantees anything of course.

I don't see guys like Steve Forbes or Chris Jans making the jump at this time.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 5th, 2018, 4:06 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:I don't see guys like Steve Forbes or Chris Jans making the jump at this time.

Honestly, it would be a step down for Jans, and Forbes is in line for a bigger jump, plus he is recently signed an extension.

I’m telling you, they need to look no further than NWMSU. If they can get him, they’ll be glad they did.
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEARZ77 » March 5th, 2018, 4:25 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:As with all coaching hires the question is---what is MSU willing to pay.

I've heard people I trust say they are willing to really spend...and I've also heard people I trust say the salary will be restrained. There is a group of guys if they spend, and a different group if they don't.

And neither way guarantees anything of course.

I don't see guys like Steve Forbes or Chris Jans making the jump at this time.

You have it about right in that there is a group of targets we would probably pay beyond $750,000 for and another bunch we would pay more between $350-$500,00 for. I think we will work off both lists with a desire of a big hit , but some guys at the lower level we like as options. It is interesting to hear some names who have made inquiries, some quite surprising. We're all homers here obviously, but if indeed we are willing to get above the 750 range, when you look at facilities, conference affiliation, potential for home attendance above 7,000, this is a top level mid major job opportunity that will draw that type of applicant, again if the salary is as stated.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » March 5th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Greg Heiar would be a home run, imo. Disappointing that we couldn’t cough up the money to keep him.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 5th, 2018, 4:45 pm

AndShock wrote:Greg Heiar would be a home run, imo. Disappointing that we couldn’t cough up the money to keep him.

I think he is a serious candidate with only his lack of D-1 HC experience as a negative. He's not my first choice, but he would be a fine choice if it comes to that.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 5th, 2018, 4:54 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:Honestly, it would be a step down for Jans, and Forbes is in line for a bigger jump, plus he is recently signed an extension.

I'm sorry, but your crazy. We could more than double Jans money and he's in a s*** conference that won't get better. But it won't be Jans. As far as Forbes, we would have to get aggressive dollar wise, but again he's in a lower level conference, he doesn't play in JQH, and I don't think he gets 7,000 plus attendance like he could at MSU if he's winning. Lusk has lowered everyones understanding of where we were the day Counzo left. Is ETSU a better team right now, of course; is that a better opportunity than MSU, hardly. Now if Forbes wants to leave could he find something higher than MSU like Mississippi , probably.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » March 5th, 2018, 4:58 pm

If you want to throw all the Marshall assistants out there you’re missing Earl Grant who has done a great job at College of Charleston. His base is 300k. Most of his jobs have been in the southeast though.

When you combine Marshall’s assistants resumes it’s pretty dang impressive.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 5th, 2018, 5:04 pm

AndShock wrote:If you want to throw all the Marshall assistants out there you’re missing Earl Grant who has done a great job at College of Charleston. His base is 300k. Most of his jobs have been in the southeast though.

When you combine Marshall’s assistants resumes it’s pretty dang impressive.

I actually mentioned him at Bear Nation but as you said, he looks like a SE guy. I really think most of us would like it to be Forbes, but just don't know that it can be done. So then it moves to alot of other qualified options of which Heier is one.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball