Paul Lusk Fired

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Paul Lusk Fired

Postby BearsCountry » March 5th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Forbes would be my choice if they can make the money work. The big boys don't normally go that low down on the pecking order for a coach. SoCon to the SEC or Big 12 is a big jump. Generally they go to the next level down from them which is the MVC, A10, MWC, MAC, CAA, etc. Heiar would be a good choice as well. I like guys with JUCO experience. It's how you can build a top team in the MVC.

The right coach could easily turn MSU into Wichita Lite.
BearsCountry
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 5th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Tim Cluess, Iona
8 Years
8 20-win seasons
5 NCAA’s
2 NIT’s
1 At-large

He’d excel at any of the MVC privates. Frequent 80 ppg teams.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » March 6th, 2018, 8:42 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Tim Cluess, Iona
8 Years
8 20-win seasons
5 NCAA’s
2 NIT’s
1 At-large

Also, a massive asshole that can't get along with anybody. There's a reason he's still at Iona.

If I'm MSU, I throw the world at TJ Otzelberger. He recruited the entire base of the Iowa State team that made the big runs (Niang, Morris, Matt Thomas) and was also the lead recruiter at Washington for a couple of years. Would have gotten the Iowa State job when The Mayor left if the University President hadn't stepped in and demanded someone from the south (he's since become president at Auburn). Xs and Os are a little bit of a question mark because he's just flat more talented than anybody in the Summit but he runs a lot of NBA sets learned from Hoiberg. I don't think he'd be there long (3 or 4 years) but I think he'd win a lot assuming he has the financial backing of the department.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 6th, 2018, 9:49 am

BCPanther wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Tim Cluess, Iona
8 Years
8 20-win seasons
5 NCAA’s
2 NIT’s
1 At-large

Also, a massive asshole that can't get along with anybody. There's a reason he's still at Iona.

If I'm MSU, I throw the world at TJ Otzelberger. He recruited the entire base of the Iowa State team that made the big runs (Niang, Morris, Matt Thomas) and was also the lead recruiter at Washington for a couple of years. Would have gotten the Iowa State job when The Mayor left if the University President hadn't stepped in and demanded someone from the south (he's since become president at Auburn). Xs and Os are a little bit of a question mark because he's just flat more talented than anybody in the Summit but he runs a lot of NBA sets learned from Hoiberg. I don't think he'd be there long (3 or 4 years) but I think he'd win a lot assuming he has the financial backing of the department.

You haven't spent much time around Tim Cluess obviously. He's a good dude.

He's still at Iona because he's a NY guy through and through. Grew up there. Went to St. John's. Coaches HS ball there before Iona. He isn't going to a job in Southwest, MO.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 6th, 2018, 9:50 am

BearsCountry wrote:Forbes would be my choice if they can make the money work. The big boys don't normally go that low down on the pecking order for a coach. SoCon to the SEC or Big 12 is a big jump. Generally they go to the next level down from them which is the MVC, A10, MWC, MAC, CAA, etc. Heiar would be a good choice as well. I like guys with JUCO experience. It's how you can build a top team in the MVC.

The right coach could easily turn MSU into Wichita Lite.

It won't be Steve Forbes. MSU fans can move on from that.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » March 6th, 2018, 10:34 am

It may not ultimately be Steve Forbes but I can tell you with total confidence that he is being vetted by MSU officials. I believe it will be him in the end.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 6th, 2018, 10:41 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:It may not ultimately be Steve Forbes but I can tell you with total confidence that he is being vetted by MSU officials. I believe it will be him in the end.

I don't doubt MSU wants Steve Forbes.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » March 6th, 2018, 10:47 am

I also believe they are vetting Heiar from Louisiana State, TJ Cleveland at Arkansas, and I hesitate to post this because people will laugh, but Becky Hammon from the San Antonio Spurs. It is not likely, but that would be an incredible hire. A buddy I know who used to work at Arkansas State and now works for a search firm said that Hammon will be a D1 men's coach in the next 3 years and he thinks she will win big.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 6th, 2018, 10:59 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I also believe they are vetting Heiar from Louisiana State, TJ Cleveland at Arkansas, and I hesitate to post this because people will laugh, but Becky Hammon from the San Antonio Spurs. It is not likely, but that would be an incredible hire. A buddy I know who used to work at Arkansas State and now works for a search firm said that Hammon will be a D1 men's coach in the next 3 years and he thinks she will win big.

I have seen her name mentioned for the Colorado State job. No reason she should be judged any differently than anyone else with a similar resume.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 6th, 2018, 11:01 am

If Colorado State or Missouri State or anyone else hires Becky Hammon, they are getting themselves a terrific coach.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball