Paul Lusk Fired

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Paul Lusk Fired

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » March 6th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Good luck to MSU. Interested to see if they go with an ex-Marshall assistant. I'm guessing MSU realizes those guys could be successful, and I'm also guessing that those guys realize they could be successful at MSU.

Heiar doesn't move the needle for me. He has always seemed arrogant and smug on the bench. I don't know if he is wrapped up in the Will Wade/LSU NCAA stuff but I am glad that we are thoroughly vetting him if he is the guy. I would much prefer a proven head coach.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » March 6th, 2018, 5:35 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Good luck to MSU. Interested to see if they go with an ex-Marshall assistant. I'm guessing MSU realizes those guys could be successful, and I'm also guessing that those guys realize they could be successful at MSU.

Heiar doesn't move the needle for me. He has always seemed arrogant and smug on the bench. I don't know if he is wrapped up in the Will Wade/LSU NCAA stuff but I am glad that we are thoroughly vetting him if he is the guy. I would much prefer a proven head coach.

If you prefer a loser over an arrogant and smug winner, more power to you. I greatly enjoy my arrogant and smug coach and wouldn’t trade him for anyone.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » March 6th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Lusk was indeed a very amicable loser. Right up there with Mike Cohen in the 'nice guys who can't coach a lick' category.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2018, 6:07 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:It may not ultimately be Steve Forbes but I can tell you with total confidence that he is being vetted by MSU officials. I believe it will be him in the end.

Steve Forbes can do much better than SWOMO.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » March 6th, 2018, 6:51 pm

I will not comment on whether Becky Hammond can coach since I've never seen her coach. I will question whether she can recruit though. How many talented prospects want to be part of a societal experiment? Recruiting is almost as important as coaching those recruits.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » March 6th, 2018, 7:09 pm

This Bears fan is all in for any of Marshall's proteges. The lone exception being Jans. Anyone can make a mistake but his bar incident is just too much and would be a hard sell at MSU. We'd be lucky to get Heiar or Forbes and I think either could turn things around fast.

Casey welcome back. I've missed your unique take on Bears basketball.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » March 7th, 2018, 9:25 am

glm38 wrote:

This Bears fan is all in for any of Marshall's proteges. The lone exception being Jans. Anyone can make a mistake but his bar incident is just too much and would be a hard sell at MSU. We'd be lucky to get Heiar or Forbes and I think either could turn things around fast.

Casey welcome back. I've missed your unique take on Bears basketball.

I understand people's take on Jans. I think he'll win and win big wherever he goes, but I get having concerns. I'm not sure there is anyone in the country better at putting together a scout and gameplan than Jans.

I know that VanVleet and Baker loved Heiar's skills drills. He spent hours and hours watching players around the country and in the NBA, picking out successful moves, and then developing drills to help teach them. I'm less sure of his ability to run a program and in-game coach.

I think Forbes is probably the lower-ceiling, lower-risk bet. Probably less singularly great at anything than the 2 guys above, but has experience and has demonstrated he can run a winning program.

Regardless, good luck. Would be fun to be able to root for one of those guys in the MVC since it wouldn't be a conflict of interest.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » March 7th, 2018, 10:25 am

Saw this article in the local Peoria paper about a long time coach (52 years) being let go at McKendree college. Interesting note at the bottom that there is speculation they want Paul Lusk as he is originally from the area down there.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20180307/nic ... ee?start=2
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » March 7th, 2018, 12:05 pm

glm38 wrote:Casey welcome back. I've missed your unique take on Bears basketball.

Thank you. It is good to be back. I checked out a couple of years ago when it became apparent that Missouri State did not value men's basketball. I started following Drury hoops pretty close and have watched a ton of NBA basketball. Now that the university is serious again about men's basketball I am anxious to don maroon again, I like it better than that Drury red and gray stuff.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » March 7th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Lusk to McKendree, eh? That athletic department is pretty big-time at that level. I bet he would do pretty well and then he might reestablish himself as a good coach. Good luck to Paul.
Last edited by CaseyGarrisonforPrez on March 7th, 2018, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball