Too early 2018-19 predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Too early 2018-19 predictions

Postby glm38 » May 20th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Still a little early as Bears are trying to fill one last key piece [ experienced post depth] with a grad transfer. If they get their main target, then they will contend for the upper half to third. Don't know how quickly all the pieces can fit , a lot of moving parts and a new staff, but the pieces will be there and they will be tough late I'm pretty sure. Next few weeks hopefully answer that final question. But with 3 top 75 jucos, a pair of 6'10 kids who've played against 20+ year old competition in Europe, a couple redshirts [ one of which was a 4 star recruit] this roster has turned over quickly and in a good way. I don't see this being a Thursday team even w/o the experienced post help. But I think most of the Valley will and that's ok.

There is no way to know accurately what the bears will be. most likely bad, however. niko's year at drake is an outlier. that doesn't usually happen in a first year. plus, im not sold on ford as a coach. you can give him all the accolades you want but until he produces, which he never has, it means nothing. i know, blasphemy coming from an ISUr fan. there will be a learning curve. they have to get cohesive. I'd say 2019-20 is a better bet for MSU.

We might not be a contending team. Especially if we don't get that post help just as Bearz stated. But I highly doubt we are "bad" even this first year. I know he hasn't done anything yet (here) but Ford has my complete confidence. He's the type of coach that inspires confidence in his players and a fan base.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » May 20th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Sunshine slappy happy.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fraydog » May 21st, 2018, 1:45 am

1. Illinois State
2. Loyola
3. Southern Illinois
4. Bradley
5. Northern Iowa
6. Indiana State
7. Valparaiso
8. Missouri State
9. Evansville
10. Drake
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 21st, 2018, 7:09 am

Loyola
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Bradley
Valparaiso
Northern Iowa
Indiana State
Missouri State
Drake
Evansville

1-3 is easy for me. As is, 7-10. 4-6 is just a toss up.
Last edited by Jsnhbe1Birds on May 21st, 2018, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » May 21st, 2018, 7:51 am

Illinois State--Best roster top to bottom but you worry about discipline and chemistry
Loyola--Custer and Krutwig are beasts, first time really being the hunted
UNI--Going to feel a lot more like traditional UNI offense but are Goldman and Croft ready right away.
Southern Illinois--Very experienced but an awful lot of things fell just right last year
Bradley--Everybody back but it's a huge jump to contending for the top
Indiana State--Coaches league gives Lansing the slightest edge for avoiding Thursday
Valpo--Talent level looks to be better but still a couple years away from being a real factor
Missouri State--The most talented of the tri-dumpster fire, Ford may have quite a learning curve on the bench
Evansville--5 league wins would be a huge year but give McCarty time
Drake--No doubt they'll play hard for DeVries but its hard to see that roster having much success
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheDrake » May 21st, 2018, 8:41 am

Fraydog wrote:1. Illinois State
2. Loyola
3. Southern Illinois
4. Bradley
5. Northern Iowa
6. Indiana State
7. Valparaiso
8. Missouri State
9. Evansville
10. Drake

When Devries first got here I would have agreed with you completely. But after seeing his recruiting class, I think we COULD finish as high as 6th. Obviously a lot of that will depend on whether Devries has any idea what he's doing on the bench as a head coach but the talent should be there.

Starting lineup will probably be:

1. Nick Norton - Grad transfer from UAB. Had visits to Purdue and Ohio State scheduled before committing to Drake.
2. Brady Ellingson - Grad Transfer from Iowa. Should be solid. Great shooter. Didn't play much at Iowa but could be an 8-10 pts a game kind of guy with consistent minutes in the Valley.
3. Anthony Murphy - Twin brother of Tremell. Athletic, good defender.
4. Tremell Murphy - 3 star JUCO recruit from Florida. Had a scholarship offers from Oregon, San Diego State and others.
5. Nick McGlynn - Senior big man. Top 5 big man in the Valley

Who knows what the chemistry will be like on a team where virtually no one has played together before but I don't think they'll finish last.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » May 21st, 2018, 10:00 am

I tend to agree with you "TheDrake"; I'm not sure on your bench or depth, but your top 6 or so seem comparable to say UNI. You have a proven MVC post player, a proven midmajor pg, an experienced shooting guard and a pair of athletic juco wings. I think Devries was smart in that he grabbed some low risk fairly proven 1-2 year guys for the short term, and focused his recruiting on the 2019 class as far as building blocks. Evansville on the other hand took more risks with under the radar/ diamond in the ruff 4 year guys that if they work great, but if not they're kind of stuck roster wise.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » May 21st, 2018, 11:10 am

[quote="BCPanther"]
Southern Illinois--Very experienced but an awful lot of things fell just right last yet

please explain how having injuries 4-5 starters over the course of the year is "things just falling right?" :roll:
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 21st, 2018, 11:17 am

underdawg wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Southern Illinois--Very experienced but an awful lot of things fell just right last yet

please explain how having injuries 4-5 starters over the course of the year is "things just falling right?" :roll:

I disagree with this. SIU was without Bol all season. Bol and a more seasoned Pippin together will a formidable duo, especially when on the court at the same time. And, when they are not they still at least have one bigger guy out there. They should never be without a big guy on the court unless due to injury. They lose Smithpeters but McGill is coming back. Lloyd is a very good player. This is a team that could very well win the league. The fact that they finished second last season is a miracle considering Bol didn't play 1 minute and McGill was out too.
Last edited by Jsnhbe1Birds on May 21st, 2018, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » May 21st, 2018, 11:28 am

underdawg wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Southern Illinois--Very experienced but an awful lot of things fell just right last yet

Might have been poorly phrased. Stats-wise its amazing that you finished where you did, especially offensively. Adding Bol back into that isn't going to help and if you try to play Bol and Pippen together, everybody is going to pull one or both of thosse guys away from the bucket and make them guard on the perimeter which isn't a strength for either.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball