Too early 2018-19 predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Too early 2018-19 predictions

Postby BCPanther » March 21st, 2018, 9:45 pm

As was speculated, Juwan McCloud has asked for and been given his release from UNI. Plans to transfer to Milwaukee to be closer to home. The relationship between his family and the program had become toxic and needed to end for everybody's sake. Really clears up UNIs starters for next year.

PG- AJ Green
SG- Tywhon Pickford
WG- Isaiah Brown
PF -Biggie Goldman
C- Austin Phyfe
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 22nd, 2018, 4:26 am

BCPanther wrote:As was speculated, Juwan McCloud has asked for and been given his release from UNI. Plans to transfer to Milwaukee to be closer to home. The relationship between his family and the program had become toxic and needed to end for everybody's sake. Really clears up UNIs starters for next year.

PG- AJ Green
SG- Tywhon Pickford
WG- Isaiah Brown
PF -Biggie Goldman
C- Austin Phyfe

Looks like a Thursday night lineup ;)
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » March 22nd, 2018, 6:39 am

Biggie Goldman? Best player name so far
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 22nd, 2018, 8:17 am

Spike wrote:
underdawg wrote:
uniguy wrote:A lot of love for SIU on here. Why to Saluki fans hate Barry Hinson so much? At least the ones on their message board do. Seems like they're a lot better now than they were before he got there. He inherited a mess.

Hinson Haters think Coach Hinson has had too long to prove he can take the team to post season--even though next year they may go--so they say even with 5-6 starters (Bol coming off injury too) coming back we should chuck all that and hire Bryan Mullins to rebuild. Yes that sounds strange but the Saluki Nation site is closing down so I guess they're taking the ball and going home--Hinson will be back for at least one year more (contracted for two)

In SIU's last 4 games of the conference season, they played three Thursday night teams and Loyola. They got blown out by Loyola and one of the Thursday night teams and needed overtime to beat the other.

They got outplayed by MSU in their first Arch Madness game for 39 minutes and only won due to some extremely poor coaching from Lusk in the last 45ish seconds.

SIU has lost badly to any half decent team they have played. They are completely uncompetitive against actual decent teams and have no business being on the same court against actual good teams, as showed by the game against Louisville earlier in the year.

This SIU team lost at home to SEMO as well as to a heavily depleted SLU team.

Yes, they bring everyone back, but what they are bringing back is not very good. Every other Valley program will also be better, and have been bringing in much better players than SIU.

Your pessimism is crazy for SIU. My suggestion: quit following and caring about SIU basketball. You will never be pleased. Choose to cheer for Duke or Kansas where you will always be in contention.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby reSaluki88 » March 22nd, 2018, 8:43 am

Spike wrote:
underdawg wrote:
uniguy wrote:A lot of love for SIU on here. Why to Saluki fans hate Barry Hinson so much? At least the ones on their message board do. Seems like they're a lot better now than they were before he got there. He inherited a mess.

Hinson Haters think Coach Hinson has had too long to prove he can take the team to post season--even though next year they may go--so they say even with 5-6 starters (Bol coming off injury too) coming back we should chuck all that and hire Bryan Mullins to rebuild. Yes that sounds strange but the Saluki Nation site is closing down so I guess they're taking the ball and going home--Hinson will be back for at least one year more (contracted for two)

In SIU's last 4 games of the conference season, they played three Thursday night teams and Loyola. They got blown out by Loyola and one of the Thursday night teams and needed overtime to beat the other.

They got outplayed by MSU in their first Arch Madness game for 39 minutes and only won due to some extremely poor coaching from Lusk in the last 45ish seconds.

SIU has lost badly to any half decent team they have played. They are completely uncompetitive against actual decent teams and have no business being on the same court against actual good teams, as showed by the game against Louisville earlier in the year.

This SIU team lost at home to SEMO as well as to a heavily depleted SLU team.

Yes, they bring everyone back, but what they are bringing back is not very good. Every other Valley program will also be better, and have been bringing in much better players than SIU.

This poster doesn't root for SIU. He is very representative of what salukination became in its last couple years of existence. It was mostly either folks who were at one time passionate SIU fans whose hatred for Hinson was so overwhelming and all encompassing they rooted hard for SIU's basketball program to fail or SIU haters secretly disguised as fans using the tone of the board for their anti SIU agenda. It was more than time for that board to go, IMHO. I hope a board with a more even tone and opinions is created, but I am not holding my breath as the lunatic fringe who ran and posted on salukination will most likely set the tone for any future board.

I say the above as a lifelong SIU fan and graduate who is certainly not a Hinson fan. I would be all for replacing Hinson with someone like Bryan Mullins if we were able to keep our current roster. Being a realist we would certainly lose to grad transfer players like Fletcher and Bol should the coaching staff be replaced. I do feel if we lose key player(s) to transfer this off season the administration should re-examine Hinson's status. Short of that, I feel SIU is poised to compete for the Valley title and an NCAA birth next year. Should we fall short of an ncaa tourney bid next year then I feel Hinson should be let go as the roster will be in a rebuilding position for 2019-2020 unless several impact transfers or recruits commit
reSaluki88
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby BCPanther » March 22nd, 2018, 9:34 am

underdawg wrote:Biggie Goldman? Best player name so far

Shandon 'Biggie' Goldman. 6-9 JUCO stretch 4 from Arkansas by way of Little Rock and Panola College in Texas. Just committed a week or so ago.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby reSaluki88 » March 22nd, 2018, 10:16 am

BCPanther wrote:
underdawg wrote:Biggie Goldman? Best player name so far

Shandon 'Biggie' Goldman. 6-9 JUCO stretch 4 from Arkansas by way of Little Rock and Panola College in Texas. Just committed a week or so ago.

SIU Juco transfers Eric McGill and Jonathan Wiley both came from Panola. Both got hurt but were nice contributors when healthy. Both needed a little time to adjust to D1 ball and McGill probably didn't play enough games this year to get completely acclimated. However, overall I would say they seemed to adjust fairly well from Juco to D1, which might be a good sign for Goldman.
reSaluki88
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby underdawg » March 22nd, 2018, 7:42 pm

As far as McGill I think next year he will step into the sixth man role that Smithpeters had this year. At Panola two years ago he averaged about 13 ppg but also had 80 plus steals, 180 assists, 3.50/1 TO to assists ratio. Two years from now he will team up with Aaron Cook to form one of the best Guard tandems in the MVC along with to-be Sophomore 6-4 Darius Beane
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 28th, 2018, 5:42 am

Updated predictions:

Loyola
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Bradley
Indiana State
Valparaiso
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
Evansville
Drake
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Spike » March 28th, 2018, 10:52 pm

underdawg wrote:As far as McGill I think next year he will step into the sixth man role that Smithpeters had this year. At Panola two years ago he averaged about 13 ppg but also had 80 plus steals, 180 assists, 3.50/1 TO to assists ratio. Two years from now he will team up with Aaron Cook to form one of the best Guard tandems in the MVC along with to-be Sophomore 6-4 Darius Beane

McGill is a senior this year.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball