Too early 2018-19 predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Too early 2018-19 predictions

Postby underdawg » May 21st, 2018, 11:32 am

BCPanther wrote:
underdawg wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Southern Illinois--Very experienced but an awful lot of things fell just right last yet

please explain how having injuries 4-5 starters over the course of the year is "things just falling right?" :roll:

Might have been poorly phrased. Stats-wise its amazing that you finished where you did, especially offensively. Adding Bol back into that isn't going to help and if you try to play Bol and Pippen together, everybody is going to pull one or both of thosse guys away from the bucket and make them guard on the perimeter which isn't a strength for either.

But having one always in at the 5 will give us a rim protector at all times--something most Valley teams can't match. Or maybe we'll play that Pack-it in defense the Panthers are so fond of 8-) Worked well for you guys, where you always started two Big lugs inside ;)
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » May 22nd, 2018, 9:50 pm

I agree with "The Drake", I think the Bulldogs will get at least 5th and possibly better. Could have speed coming off the bench. Seems like pretty deep coaching staff also.

I think other than Loyola it will be a year like last year, something like a six way tie for 2nd.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 23rd, 2018, 8:29 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:I agree with "The Drake", I think the Bulldogs will get at least 5th and possibly better. Could have speed coming off the bench. Seems like pretty deep coaching staff also.

I think other than Loyola it will be a year like last year, something like a six way tie for 2nd.

Ahh...new coach optimism. Always fun.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » May 23rd, 2018, 9:25 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:I agree with "The Drake", I think the Bulldogs will get at least 5th and possibly better. Could have speed coming off the bench. Seems like pretty deep coaching staff also.

One thing for certain we seem to always play Bradley the first game at the tournament no matter what.
I think the new coaching staff has put togther a pretty good team for getting a late start. Should to be interesting.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 23rd, 2018, 9:34 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

One thing for certain we seem to always play Bradley the first game at the tournament no matter what.
I think the new coaching staff has put togther a pretty good team for getting a late start. Should to be interesting.

I do think the Drake staff put together as good a late roster as can be expected. I don't see that roster being a top five MVC team. If so, the rest of the MVC has some huge explaining to do.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » May 23rd, 2018, 11:43 am

Illinois State
Bradley
Southern Illinois
Loyola
UNI
Valpo
Indiana State
Missouri State
Drake
Evansville

College Sports Madness starts with their Top 144 previews in about three weeks. MVC should get six teams in the top 144, and four in the top 100, IMO. Last year MVC had 4 teams in the Top 144 and 1 in the top 100 (Loyola at 100th).
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 23rd, 2018, 12:40 pm

Rambler63 wrote:Illinois State
Bradley
Southern Illinois
Loyola
UNI
Valpo
Indiana State
Missouri State
Drake
Evansville

College Sports Madness starts with their Top 144 previews in about three weeks. MVC should get six teams in the top 144, and four in the top 100, IMO. Last year MVC had 4 teams in the Top 144 and 1 in the top 100 (Loyola at 100th).

Wow, this is the first non-homer prediction I have seen. We have fans from each school valuing their own programs very high and this is the absolute opposite from what others have projected Loyola.

May I ask why?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dansen » May 23rd, 2018, 2:00 pm

1. Illinois State
2. Loyola
3. Southern Illinois

4. Bradley
5. Northern Iowa
6. Valpo
7. Indiana State

8. Missouri State
9. Drake
10. Evansville

There's essentially three groupings to me right now. Top 3 teams, most talented and returning a lot. Loyola could be number 1 and run away with it again depending on the newcomers (Uguak, Agunanne, Bujdoso and others), and they probably have the best starting 5 right now. Illinois State is the deepest and probably most talented squad, and Southern isn't too far behind.

The next grouping could go any direction in my opinion. Indiana State may be higher depending on their new transfers, I think all of those teams will be playing really good basketball, and will definitely hand some losses to the group above. This is the hardest area to rank.

The last group are all new coaches/rebuilding. I think they are all making great strides and will be much better in a few years, but with a strong Valley it'll be a tough season for them.

Just my thoughts, not trying to attack any fanbase, and I could be very very wrong, but I follow the league closely enough and this makes sense to me at this point.
Dansen
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby hot nuts » May 24th, 2018, 7:44 am

Dansen wrote:1. Illinois State
2. Loyola
3. Southern Illinois

4. Bradley
5. Northern Iowa
6. Valpo
7. Indiana State

8. Missouri State
9. Drake
10. Evansville

There's essentially three groupings to me right now. Top 3 teams, most talented and returning a lot. Loyola could be number 1 and run away with it again depending on the newcomers (Uguak, Agunanne, Bujdoso and others), and they probably have the best starting 5 right now. Illinois State is the deepest and probably most talented squad, and Southern isn't too far behind.

The next grouping could go any direction in my opinion. Indiana State may be higher depending on their new transfers, I think all of those teams will be playing really good basketball, and will definitely hand some losses to the group above. This is the hardest area to rank.

The last group are all new coaches/rebuilding. I think they are all making great strides and will be much better in a few years, but with a strong Valley it'll be a tough season for them.

Just my thoughts, not trying to attack any fanbase, and I could be very very wrong, but I follow the league closely enough and this makes sense to me at this point.

Pretty much sums up my thinking as well. I'd actually move Bradley into the top group but keep them at #4. Next February we'll probably look back an laugh at how wrong we were!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ahunte1 » May 24th, 2018, 9:11 am

Rambler63 wrote:Illinois State
Bradley
Southern Illinois
Loyola
UNI
Valpo
Indiana State
Missouri State
Drake
Evansville

I just find it hard to believe that Bradley will be better than Loyola. Ramblers have finished higher than Bradley every year since the first year in the Valley.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball