Off Season Roster Turnover

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Off Season Roster Turnover

Postby Adunk33 » March 13th, 2018, 10:19 am

Muller all but confirmed Milik Yarbrough will enter his name in the NBA Draft without an agent, similar to what Alize did last year. Muller also said at this time, Milik is not a grad-transfer candidate.

Individual meetings with players start early next week to determine who is staying. Muller said every coach in the country should be expecting at least one transfer, but didn't want to be unfair to players and speculate who it might be.

In Redbird land, we have seen our fair deal of exits over the past 5 years. I don't know, something feels different to me about this team. It seems they want to play together and were hurt together after that loss to Loyola on Sunday in STL. With that said, I (and most Redbird fans) would expect anywhere from 1-3 players. If it was 4+ I would be surprised. This season, everyone played some role on the team, and had to due to injuries. The names that have been thrown out as transfer candidates are Elijah Clarance (freshman with HUGE upside, just plays too fast), Madison Williams (just finished sophomore year and would have 2 years somewhere else. Will see minutes reduced with addition of Zach Copeland), Milik (nothing gold every stays), and UTEP Transfer Christian Romine (He missed the first half of the season due to personal reasons and then Muller kept him out the rest of the year, rumor is he has applied for a medical redshirt.)

A pair of other names is 7-Footer David N'diaye and Matt Hein. I think this is more wishful thinking by some fans rather than have any sort of likelihood. David and Matt were a package deal out of high school, Muller wanted David. Hein became a role player this year and would make terrible mistakes, followed up by tremendous hustle plays. He is not universally loved by Birds fans. David was brought in as a project. He is a good, natural shot blocker but has missed a significant amount of time in each of his first three season with stress fractures. Cutting these two players would be a way for us to get back on the plus side of scholarships. I believe we are currently overbooked 1, and have Chastain waiting in the wing, and want to add a JUCO Big/Scoring guard. Many fans are ready to move on from the David-Matt experiment.

The only players I am 100% confident about being on next year's roster are Evans, Tinsley, Fayne, Chastain, and Copeland. Most likely Bruninga, Gassman, David, and Hein.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » March 13th, 2018, 10:31 am

I saw a report during the MVC Tournament that had both Johnson and Yarborough as second round draft choices with MY actually going before Johnson. If he gets that kind of indication ,have to think he's gone wouldn't ya ??
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » March 13th, 2018, 10:39 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I saw a report during the MVC Tournament that had both Johnson and Yarborough as second round draft choices with MY actually going before Johnson. If he gets that kind of indication ,have to think he's gone wouldn't ya ??

Sorry to bring them up, but look at Fred Van Vleet and Ron Baker. Both had the opportunity to be drafted in the second round and turned it down because there is more money to be made as an UDFA. When you get drafted, especially in the second round, you are stuck in this specific bracket of how much you can make your first few years. A lot of times, the second round is saved for international players, teams will buy their rights early, leave them overseas to develop and then bring them in for summer or G-League when ready. Redbird fans saw this first hand when Jackie Carmichael was listed at "best available" practically the whole second round and didn't get picked up.

So I think if he (Milik) remains projected in mid-late second round, then he comes back. If he starts getting projected as late first round, he'd go. It'll be interesting to see what position NBA teams work him out as. He would have to be a 2/3 guard in the NBA at 6'6. I'd guess scouts tell him to get better at ball security and that he needs to work on becoming a knock down shooter. He likely won't be able to have the post game he does now in the NBA. He is similarly sized to Kobe Bryant, so maybe he will be able to play some post at the next level.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby municup14 » March 16th, 2018, 4:36 am

Per twitter,Ryan Taylor the M.V.C leading scorer from Evansville
will be exploring other schools to transfer to sincd the firi g of Sommons.
Ryan will be able to play immediately do to bei g a grad transfer.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RamblerFan » March 16th, 2018, 6:10 am

There is also a lot less money to be made by being a UDFA than a second round pick. The average G League salary is less than 50k while the NBA minimum is about 500k more than that. I agree that there is value in being able to (theoretically) pick your playing situation but its an awfully big gamble.

As for Taylor I saw a report online yesterday that both UCLA and Indiana had interest.
RamblerFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby MVC1972 » March 16th, 2018, 7:27 am

Looks like IU and UCLA are interested in Ryan Taylor. Hell of a player. He will be missed at Evansville.
MVC1972
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball