Our good friends Wichita...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Our good friends Wichita...

Postby glm38 » March 17th, 2018, 8:34 pm

mvcfan wrote:
glm38 wrote:
ABC wrote:Man, so much pettiness here, especially from Muller.

FWIW, when the Loyola scored was shown at the NCAA tournament game in Wichita on Friday, there was a huge cheer.

I know I was happy, as I would have been for any MVC team but Illinois State. Given how Ill State isn't about to make it to the tourney, that doesn't matter.

The move to the AAC was good for WSU and any other MVC team would have done it too.

You are totally missing the point. The joy from some on here over WSU losing is about those arrogant over the top WSU fans on this site that constantly belittled everything about the MVC, their teams, and opposing fans. Those same idiotic WSU posters also belittled the addition of Loyola when they came to the MVC.

And so there is a certain karmic justice that in the very year that WSU leaves the Valley - WSU makes a first game exit and Loyola is going to the Sweet 16.

I think you may miss the point. There are good WSU posters and bad. There are good and bad MVC posters. You used to beone if the good ones. It's interesting that MSU and WSU have continued relationships in athletics Our women's teams continued to play. There may be other opportunities later on. It's a shame that any school official was petty enough to tweet bitterness. Our school won't react but it's sad. If you don't miss us don't bring us up. Like was said, a lot of Shocker fans were rooting for Loyola. I hope the bitter fans don't win, but probably they will. We are happy for where we are and I hope you are. I also hope school relationships can continue at some level.

Did you even read my post? I didn't say I personally took joy in WSU losing. Personally I always pull for both current and former MVC schools. There is a lot to admire about what WSU has done the last 10 years. It's incredible really.

And yes there are good and bad posters and fans in every fan base. But there are a core few in the WSU crowd that are borderline lunatics. Have you seen what they've done on the AAC forum? They say some of the same things there. If you can't see that difference I can't help you.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoSIU88 » March 17th, 2018, 10:28 pm

9628 wrote:
Kyle@MOState wrote:When Creighton left, yes, it hurt the conference, but I wasn't really that mad at them. I feel like I wished them well. I was happy when Wichita left, and I just want them to fall flat on their faces. I hope Gregg Marshall takes another job, and they fade in to obscurity. Am I alone in feeling this way?

No.

Not at all. I hope they both fade into obscurity.
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby valleyclimber » March 17th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Would love to see the Nevada Wolfpack take out U Cinn (of WSU's waaaaay overrated AAC). That would make the MVC 2-0 while the AAC goes out of the dance at 2-3.....this despite a 2 seed for UCinn, a 4 seed for corrupt WSU, and a 6 seed for Houston.

Go get 'em Wolfpack!!

ROCK ON MVC! :dance:
valleyclimber
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » March 17th, 2018, 11:53 pm

A Wichita fan is already on Loyola’s board belittling their fan base (but apparently he was really there to congratulate them! :lol:).

I don’t care one way or the other, but unless 2 independent league boards and 21 independent fan bases are conspiring with each other, there’s clearly something toxic from some bad apples that’s rubbing so many the wrong way.

An important life lesson: what goes around, comes around. Punching down never ends well. That’s what P5 fans do.
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LanceShock » March 18th, 2018, 6:11 am

This season for the Shocks was only a disappointment based on the irrational expectations driven by excessive pride many of us had.

The irony of Loyola making the Sweet Sixteen the same year we leave and go out in the first round just shows how fortunate WSU has been in some of the matchups we got in the NCAA tournament. So much of the success there depends on playing your best basketball at that time and getting favorable matchups. It would appear that Loyola is playing really well right when it counts. I'm not sure how they matched up to their opponents, but I would suspect that they were aspects to the matchups that helped Loyola as well.

WSU has clearly not been playing its best basketball and got a matchup with a team with strengths that coincided pretty neatly to WSU's weaknesses.

This thread has been good for a few laughs though. 2nd in the American with being one play away from 1st and we are over our heads in the conference :huh: What was Valpo in the Valley, run over by a steamroller then?

The Valley is a good league, but things reached a point where it was no longer a good fit for WSU. Even though there was a disappointing finish, being in the American was exactly what WSU wanted for this year. The team just wasn't able to execute when it mattered.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » March 18th, 2018, 10:15 am

If Wichita State were still in the conference, one of Wichita State or Loyola misses the tournament this year (probably us tbh). Maybe Wichita State was holding the conference back, but that’s a product of how the selection committee works now and not because Wichita State didn’t allow teams to compete. Makes you really think about if Murray State would be making the right move in taking a step up in competition.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » March 18th, 2018, 10:41 am

LanceShock wrote:This season for the Shocks was only a disappointment based on the irrational expectations driven by excessive pride many of us had.

The irony of Loyola making the Sweet Sixteen the same year we leave and go out in the first round just shows how fortunate WSU has been in some of the matchups we got in the NCAA tournament. So much of the success there depends on playing your best basketball at that time and getting favorable matchups. It would appear that Loyola is playing really well right when it counts. I'm not sure how they matched up to their opponents, but I would suspect that they were aspects to the matchups that helped Loyola as well.

WSU has clearly not been playing its best basketball and got a matchup with a team with strengths that coincided pretty neatly to WSU's weaknesses.

This thread has been good for a few laughs though. 2nd in the American with being one play away from 1st and we are over our heads in the conference :huh: What was Valpo in the Valley, run over by a steamroller then?

The Valley is a good league, but things reached a point where it was no longer a good fit for WSU. Even though there was a disappointing finish, being in the American was exactly what WSU wanted for this year. The team just wasn't able to execute when it mattered.

And who said you were in over your heads? That's obviously not the case.

I'm glad this thread amused you. I got some laughs looking at Shockernet and several of the posters there saying if they were still in the Valley that Loyola wouldn't have even made the ncaa's. Like its a foregone conclusion they would have beaten Loyola at Arch madness. I don't think so.....IMO Likely Wichita wins the regular season and Loyola wins arch madness. To be fair that's not what all the shockernet posters said. Some were reasonable as some of the shox posters on here have been.

Again not all wsu posters/fans are bad. But there are several that are completely over the top and they dominate and set the tone for the poor perception of wsu fans here and on the aac forum. And there is no real attempt to police or contradict them on the part of the rest.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » March 18th, 2018, 2:56 pm

ACECARD wrote:You think the Shocks will try to come back as the 12th team since they seem to be over their head in the AAC? :lol:

I said that they were over their head in a joking manner, as you can see by the laughing smilie, just to see if I could get a rise out of some of the A-hole Shocker fans who still like to post on this forum. I got the response I expected.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » March 18th, 2018, 3:56 pm

I rarely go to the American board but when I do, there are flamers from every school including WSU who try to show up another flamer.

As for your board, I may just not remember but ISUR and Evansville never had a balanced poster. All they do is flame and for what their schools have accomplished, they mostly have to be negative in order to be respected. Good Luck to the Valley
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » March 18th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Most all fan bases are made up of 98% good hearted fun fans, and 2% a-holes. Wichita does have some good posters here I enjoy reading, but the problem is that many of the 2% from Wichita came on here to post. It is just that the jerks make it hard to cheer for their team. All of our fan bases have them, it is just that we get a chance to read from quite a few Shox fans on here. (Of course, Championz may have had about 5 screen names). I did meet so many many nice fans from Wichita in STL (although I did have a couple run ins with a two percenter). I can't say I blame them for leaving if they thought it was the right move, but their exit comments is what drove everyone nuts. I am sorry, but in my opinion, Gregg Marshall is just easy to root against.

GO RAMBLERS!!!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball