Gregggggggggg

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Gregggggggggg

Postby sivert » March 25th, 2018, 7:17 am

And how many MVC tournaments did WSU win?
Go Panthers!!
sivert
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ABC » March 25th, 2018, 11:42 am

WSU would have won the MVC. Loyola would have cut them to shreds. LOL.

I'm not trolling. I'm hardly the only person who thinks that
ABC
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Just Another Guy » March 25th, 2018, 11:48 am

ABC wrote:WSU would have won the MVC. Loyola would have cut them to shreds. LOL.

Your opinion and $1.25 buys me a cup of coffee at McDonalds.
Just Another Guy
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby ABC » March 25th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Just Another Guy wrote:
ABC wrote:WSU would have won the MVC. Loyola would have cut them to shreds. LOL.

Your opinion and $1.25 buys me a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

as does yours . . .
ABC
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby glm38 » March 25th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Regarding WSU vs Loyola - just look at who lost in the first round (to a relatively weak opponent) and who's going to the final four. That says it all about which is the better team this year.

Interestingly this was discussed in a shockernet thread. And several shockernet posters stated the reasonable opinion that Loyola is the better team by far.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 25th, 2018, 1:30 pm

So much of the tournament is about the draw you receive but it's hard to argue this statement. Wichita State should have been able to overcome Marshall but it's hard to say whether they would have gotten by West Virginia or Villanova. And, no, you can't hold all of the upsets in the South region against Loyola. Loyola may have gotten a better draw, but they still beat four very good teams and had to play excellent basketball to win the region. I think Loyola's defensive prowess coupled with Wichita State's question marks on defense would have caused serious problems for the Shockers. If the MVC had a team that could do it, it's the Ramblers. 32-5 is hard to argue with no matter who you play and with 7 top 105 wins in conference as well as victories over Wright State Florida Miami Tennessee Nevada and Kansas State, it's absolutely conceivable that the Ramblers are a better team. But we'll never know for sure because the two teams won't play this year.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » March 25th, 2018, 4:53 pm

glm38 wrote:Regarding WSU vs Loyola - just look at who lost in the first round (to a relatively weak opponent) and who's going to the final four. That says it all about which is the better team this year.

Interestingly this was discussed in a shockernet thread. And several shockernet posters stated the reasonable opinion that Loyola is the better team by far.

You’re better than using tournament results to predict 18 game conference results. Don’t tell me UMBC is better than every school that lost in the first round. I don’t know who would’ve won the Valley or won H2H but let’s not start spouting crazy talk just because it fits our narrative.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MNPanthers » March 25th, 2018, 5:40 pm

AndShock wrote:You’re better than using tournament results to predict 18 game conference results. Don’t tell me UMBC is better than every school that lost in the first round. I don’t know who would’ve won the Valley or won H2H but let’s not start spouting crazy talk just because it fits our narrative.

You're not entirely wrong, but good teams rise to the occasion in the tournament and overcome the adversity that march madness brings. Crazy things happen, but you can't just chalk up Wichita as an unlucky victim to the madness. You took an L from a 13 seed when everything was on the line. Loyola keeps finding a way to win tough matches, and just dominated a team in the Elite 8. They are the better team, its that simple.
MNPanthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » March 25th, 2018, 6:43 pm

MNPanthers wrote:
AndShock wrote:You’re better than using tournament results to predict 18 game conference results. Don’t tell me UMBC is better than every school that lost in the first round. I don’t know who would’ve won the Valley or won H2H but let’s not start spouting crazy talk just because it fits our narrative.

You're not entirely wrong, but good teams rise to the occasion in the tournament and overcome the adversity that march madness brings. Crazy things happen, but you can't just chalk up Wichita as an unlucky victim to the madness. You took an L from a 13 seed when everything was on the line. Loyola keeps finding a way to win tough matches, and just dominated a team in the Elite 8. They are the better team, its that simple.

Exactly. And That's how most rational people would compare the two teams. Loyola is better and it really isn't even close.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » March 25th, 2018, 7:06 pm

So our Final Four team was better than our undeafeated team? That’s simply not the case.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball