Gregggggggggg

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Gregggggggggg

Postby AndShock » March 26th, 2018, 12:03 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
AndShock wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
AndShock, I agree in theory with you. One game typically does not reflect a normal outcome over the course of multiple matchups with said team.

However, in this case, Wichita lost to the 4th place team in Conference USA.

Conference USA finished the season as the 15th ranked conference in the country. And Marshall was 4th place! This was not a scenario where you played a run away winner of a conference that got under-seeded or anything.

Marshall was 12-6 in a bad conference. One can argue, a team (Wichita) that is "better" than Loyola would never, ever lose to Marshall given the information above and the stakes at hand.

Meanwhile, Loyola was 1st in the 8th best conference (one behind your AAC) and won our conference regular season by 4 games, then again won Arch Madness.

And then we consider Virginia who won the 2nd best conference by 4 games, and then won their conference tournament, lost to the 2nd best team in the 25th best conference. It’s basketball. Stuff happens. Using one game to predict future results is futile.

If you replace Marshall with Loyola, sure, we lose that day. We lose to teams even worse than Marshall that day. Replace @ Cincy with @ Loyola the same day, we beat Loyola. Replace home vs Houston with home vs Loyola, we beat Loyola that day. We would’ve beat anyone in the country that day. It’s basketball. Stuff happens.

True. Lightning in a bottle theory.

Loyola has narrowed the gap in KenPom since the tournament began (20th vs 30th). https://kenpom.com/

I always look at AdjD when rankings like this are closer together between two teams.

We’ve actually been a (slightly) better carbon copy of Nevada all year when it comes to KenPom rankings. Loyola and Nevada looked pretty evenly matched to me. I wouldn’t put money on either team to win more than 6 out of 10 matchups. I definitely wouldn’t say “Loyola is better than Nevada and it’s not even close.”

20 and 30 isn’t really that close though. WSU and Loyola are as close as Loyola and Mississippi State.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » March 26th, 2018, 3:29 pm

AndShock wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:That was more meant to be a joke playing off your previous post to kind of lighten the mood and break the tension of the argument.

:Cheers:

I have nothing against glm, I just think he’s wrong on this one. I’ve certainly beeen wrong on basketball matters a time or two over the past year. ;)

No hard feelings here either. I just happen to think in the year end tournaments (especially the big dance) the best teams generally find a way to win. Just a different way of looking at things I guess.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 27th, 2018, 4:30 pm

glm38 wrote:
MNPanthers wrote:
AndShock wrote:You’re better than using tournament results to predict 18 game conference results. Don’t tell me UMBC is better than every school that lost in the first round. I don’t know who would’ve won the Valley or won H2H but let’s not start spouting crazy talk just because it fits our narrative.

You're not entirely wrong, but good teams rise to the occasion in the tournament and overcome the adversity that march madness brings. Crazy things happen, but you can't just chalk up Wichita as an unlucky victim to the madness. You took an L from a 13 seed when everything was on the line. Loyola keeps finding a way to win tough matches, and just dominated a team in the Elite 8. They are the better team, its that simple.

Exactly. And That's how most rational people would compare the two teams. Loyola is better and it really isn't even close.
who is your new coach?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » March 27th, 2018, 5:04 pm

[/quote]

You're not entirely wrong, but good teams rise to the occasion in the tournament and overcome the adversity that march madness brings. Crazy things happen, but you can't just chalk up Wichita as an unlucky victim to the madness. You took an L from a 13 seed when everything was on the line. Loyola keeps finding a way to win tough matches, and just dominated a team in the Elite 8. They are the better team, its that simple.[/quote]

Exactly. And That's how most rational people would compare the two teams. Loyola is better and it really isn't even close.[/quote] who is your new coach?[/quote]

Dana Ford. You should know him. He's been on Gregg Marshall's staff a couple of times.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 458291002/
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 28th, 2018, 10:07 am

glm38 wrote:
ABC wrote:And WSU didn't leave with class, how?

Because Marshall has a off-handed comment about Bradley? Seriously?

I think the MVC programs are puckering up because one of the newbies dominated the conference this year.

Muller probably isn't puckering, but he sure as hell should be.

WSU wins the MVC again this year.

WSU would have won the MVC this year? That is idiotic. Have you actually watched Loyola this year? Loyola would have cut the shockers to pieces.
cut the pieces? Pretty inflammatory. And hardly accurate. Loyola would be a favorite to win any game with the Shockers. However, Loyola would not be a heavy favorite to cut the Shockers to pieces. The choice of the words chopped to pieces seems a little excessive to me.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » March 28th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
glm38 wrote:
ABC wrote:And WSU didn't leave with class, how?

Because Marshall has a off-handed comment about Bradley? Seriously?

I think the MVC programs are puckering up because one of the newbies dominated the conference this year.

Muller probably isn't puckering, but he sure as hell should be.

WSU wins the MVC again this year.

WSU would have won the MVC this year? That is idiotic. Have you actually watched Loyola this year? Loyola would have cut the shockers to pieces.
cut the pieces? Pretty inflammatory. And hardly accurate. Loyola would be a favorite to win any game with the Shockers. However, Loyola would not be a heavy favorite to cut the Shockers to pieces. The choice of the words chopped to pieces seems a little excessive to me.

Ok point taken. I really didn't mean it to be inflammatory but I can see how it could be taken that way. I was more meaning that I just don't see the Shockers D being able to stop the Ramblers offense. I wasn't meaning that Loyola would totally blow wsu away.

It is kind of funny though that you call me out for that comment but not your fellow shox fans for some of their posts in this thread.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » March 28th, 2018, 2:37 pm

glm38 wrote:It is kind of funny though that you call me out for that comment but not your fellow shox fans for some of their posts in this thread.

herd mentality.

They flock together to support each other even through arguments that can be asinine at times.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball