Echenique eligible - New Dynamic Duo?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Turner » December 13th, 2010, 9:39 am

Not since the days of Harstad and Gallagher have the Jays had two inside threats like they will with Lawson and Echenique. With no standout MVC team, who knows if the addition of a physical inside presence might be enough to propel the Jays?

The mere thought brought a smile to Creighton forward Ethan Wragge’s face.

What is the Bluejays’ potential, Wragge was asked, if they could combine the way Kenny Lawson played Saturday against St. Joseph’s with the inside skills of soon-to-be eligible Gregory Echenique?

“That’s going to make it so much easier,” Wragge said. “That’s going to give us two monsters.”

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 2129871/-1
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Echenique eligible - New Dynamic Duo?

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » December 13th, 2010, 9:56 am

Keep dreaming! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jayball » December 13th, 2010, 9:59 am

We were picked 4th for a reason.

I'm excited to see what GE brings to the team and hope our team improves, but he isn't going to make CU some sort of juggernaught.

WSU and MSU both have experienced inside players and both have talented wings. We haven't shown great defensive skills in any game this year. Wragge is our only consistent 3pt threat. We have been led in scoring by a freshman. Problem is Doug, Ethan, Kenny, and Greg all play the 4-5. We have 3 other positions that need filled. AY playing really well at PG but our 2-3 slots can be pretty shaky and AY has to play 35 mpg.

It will be nice to not have 6'6" Wayne Runnles playing the 5 though.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WuDrWu » December 13th, 2010, 10:01 am

Given both the schedule and the (unfortunately struggling Valley) I suspect the Jays aren't going to lose again until mid March, if then. Tough games ahead at MSU and UNI but the superior inside strength of Creighton will prove too much.

This is without question the favorite in the Valley. If somebody has to run the table other than my beloved Shockers, it might as well be the Jays!

:Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Turner » December 13th, 2010, 10:07 am

oneNEIGHBOR wrote:Keep dreaming! :dance: :dance: :dance:

If WSU had beaten anyone good, I'd be happy to give them the MVC trophy without playing the conference season. Since they have essentially zero quality wins and no one else really has either, why don't we see how things plays out.
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jayball » December 13th, 2010, 10:40 am

Turner wrote:

If WSU had beaten anyone good, I'd be happy to give them the MVC trophy without playing the conference season. Since they have essentially zero quality wins and no one else really has either, why don't we see how things plays out.

The did play UCONN to the wire who is now in the Top 10 and they beat Virginia, which could become the Valley's biggest win RPIwise by the end of the year (well except for Chaminade).

They were picked as the Valley favorite for a reason. While PG play has be inconsistent in some games for the Shockers...I really don't think Klaw/GE is going to scare them too much. I believe their wings could eat us alive. Seems a bit early to be making any promoting how GE will affect the Valley race.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Turner » December 13th, 2010, 11:22 am

jayball wrote:
Turner wrote:

The did play UCONN to the wire who is now in the Top 10 and they beat Virginia, which could become the Valley's biggest win RPIwise by the end of the year (well except for Chaminade).

They were picked as the Valley favorite for a reason. While PG play has be inconsistent in some games for the Shockers...I really don't think Klaw/GE is going to scare them too much. I believe their wings could eat us alive. Seems a bit early to be making any promoting how GE will affect the Valley race.

WSU should be the favorite based on last year. but they haven't replaced Hannah well and Stutz has regressed. Kyles is playing like a new guy and Murry and Durley can be great, but anyone who thinks WSU will run away and hide is nuts. If the conference season doesn't start well I could see HCGM start gripping pretty tight. I do think Echenique will have a major impact on the Jays but I also know he can't play the wing. I'd bet the McD will start to run the offense through GE in the block which might help Young, Ashford, and Wragge to get some looks from 3.
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby cu8493 » December 13th, 2010, 1:02 pm

I know the retirement of Bob Harstad's jersey Saturday night may have inspired many to dream of having a true double low-post threat. However, it takes two to have a duo. I'm still not convinced Kenny can keep up his end of the bargain. True to form, he was a world-beater against a skinny freshman center. I'm sure he will have another good game against Idaho STate. But, I am not optimistic that he will maintain a consistent strong low-post presence throughout the season.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WSUbballer » December 13th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Dynamic Duo has officially been dropped. The first of many taglines for the conference's surging team.
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » December 13th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Right now our tagline is 5-4.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball