SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Postby bonez » March 27th, 2018, 6:21 pm

underdawg wrote:Let me ask you a question: what is it about Porter Moser's record as a head coach (194-211 without this year's sterling 32-5, at THREE different places (Ark Little rock, Illinois State and Loyola) that indicates he has turned anything around YET--By the way he never finished above 5th place in three different Leagues till this one. I'm not saying he hasn't turned it but if you look at his overall record, there is no indication. We'll see in the next few years--if he's around

Coach Hinson, I'd say needs to step his recruiting, schedule (and I think he will) and go to at least an NIT this coming season. Everyone, including him knows that

Loyola has to be pleasantly surprised - shocked, even - as Moser has done well this year. However, if the SIU position was open I would be adamantly opposed to Moser being considered even knowing what he delivered at Loyola this year. Moser's record is poor and his teams have consistently underachieved. Has he turned the corner (pun intended)? Perhaps but not a gamble I'd take.

I gather you won't answer my question. Oh well.
bonez
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby underdawg » March 27th, 2018, 6:36 pm

austinsaluki wrote:You're insane.

Seriously.

Yes, calling me names like insane is ad hominem
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby underdawg » March 27th, 2018, 6:39 pm

dean_siu wrote:Barry Hinson is a fartknocker. Bring back Lowery.

Glad to see you guys attracted this guy too :lol:
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby underdawg » March 27th, 2018, 6:48 pm

bonez wrote:
underdawg wrote:Let me ask you a question: what is it about Porter Moser's record as a head coach (194-211 without this year's sterling 32-5, at THREE different places (Ark Little rock, Illinois State and Loyola) that indicates he has turned anything around YET--By the way he never finished above 5th place in three different Leagues till this one. I'm not saying he hasn't turned it but if you look at his overall record, there is no indication. We'll see in the next few years--if he's around

Coach Hinson, I'd say needs to step his recruiting, schedule (and I think he will) and go to at least an NIT this coming season. Everyone, including him knows that

Loyola has to be pleasantly surprised - shocked, even - as Moser has done well this year. However, if the SIU position was open I would be adamantly opposed to Moser being considered even knowing what he delivered at Loyola this year. Moser's record is poor and his teams have consistently underachieved. Has he turned the corner (pun intended)? Perhaps but not a gamble I'd take.

I gather you won't answer my question. Oh well.

He can take a talented SIU team to a title and post season next year--he like any coach has to prove himself by
doing it several times. I have no idea why anyone cares about my opinion about the matter--all I can say (again for the umpteenth time) is that recruiting, scheduling all have to be upped--to build a solid program for the future--he's got two years on his contract to do so at the present time--why not wait and see what happens?
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SalukiHaiku » March 27th, 2018, 8:15 pm

It would be rational to assume that Porter Moser learned a lot under Rick Majerus, in between his poor stint at ISU (his early 30s), and to begin his tenure at Loyola (early 40s), that brought him to this point in his career.

At 56, Barry Hinson is who he is.
SalukiHaiku
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 28th, 2018, 10:26 am

SalukiHaiku wrote:

It would be rational to assume that Porter Moser learned a lot under Rick Majerus, in between his poor stint at ISU (his early 30s), and to begin his tenure at Loyola (early 40s), that brought him to this point in his career.

At 56, Barry Hinson is who he is.

Thank you Southern for not hiring a good young coach....

Facing a Barry led Saluki team is so much less scary than a decent coach leading that team.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball