SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Postby Machiavellian » March 24th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Hi, first post. Never posted on SN but lurked on it. A lot of my friends and I wanted Barry gone. He did an exemplary job of splicing together wires this year, so it's tough to fire him, but he hasn't done much in the long run.

His schedules are awful for the team, and they are awful for the conference. How can no one see that? I went over to the "become a two bid league thread", and y'all are saying SIU needs to schedule better (which is true). Mostly I want to see him go because I watch a ton of basketball and I see nothing resembling a good team. In general the NCAA game is miles behind the NBA in terms of basic basketball strategy.

Barry's strategies are archaic. Look at Loyola and how they whip the ball around. Watch some teams with a pro style offense. You don't need multiple bigs in the paint. It's gone. It's dead. Barry does okay some of the time, but in general he's far behind the curve.

For evidence, you have Bruce right now, who is a great defensive coach, but coaches an awful motion offense. Look at what is happening to his K-State team? Don't get me wrong, I love scrappy teams, but it's not a great formula for continued success imo. SIU won the same way this year: A lot of one-on-one ball and hitting timely shots. Barry earned his spot for next year, but I still wish we would have moved on if the chance was presented.

*Grammar edit
Machiavellian
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby underdawg » March 26th, 2018, 7:06 pm

This board is great for giving us "Saluki World"--MVCfans have accommodated us waifs. For that I am extremely grateful. But now all can also view the reasons why the SN board became so intolerable for those of us trying to cheer on our team
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SalukiHaiku » March 27th, 2018, 10:48 am

underdawg wrote:This board is great for giving us "Saluki World"--MVCfans have accommodated us waifs. For that I am extremely grateful. But now all can also view the reasons why the SN board became so intolerable for those of us trying to cheer on our team

There was definitely a portion of the board who went overboard, dominating every thread with same sentiments; openly rooting for the team to lose. It was tough to navigate.

Equally tough navigate were the posters such as yourself who treated Hinson as if he was Stalin: completely off limits to criticism.

Posters like you legitimized Barry’s nonsense, lips firmly attached to his arse.
SalukiHaiku
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby underdawg » March 27th, 2018, 11:46 am

SalukiHaiku wrote:
underdawg wrote:This board is great for giving us "Saluki World"--MVCfans have accommodated us waifs. For that I am extremely grateful. But now all can also view the reasons why the SN board became so intolerable for those of us trying to cheer on our team

There was definitely a portion of the board who went overboard, dominating every thread with same sentiments; openly rooting for the team to lose. It was tough to navigate.

Equally tough navigate were the posters such as yourself who treated Hinson as if he was Stalin: completely off limits to criticism.

Posters like you legitimized Barry’s nonsense, lips firmly attached to his arse.

I'll ignore your insults and say long ago on SN I put down my feelings on the need to improve recruiting , scheduling. If you weren't so intent in your pursuit of hating a coach, you could look them up. You want it black or white--hate everything he does or love everything he does--no human should be judged like that.
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bonez » March 27th, 2018, 1:14 pm

underdawg wrote:I'll ignore your insults and say long ago on SN I put down my feelings on the need to improve recruiting , scheduling. If you weren't so intent in your pursuit of hating a coach, you could look them up. You want it black or white--hate everything he does or love everything he does--no human should be judged like that.

I wasn't close enough to much of the SN noise and was initially a BH fan but have grown very tired of the mediocrity and shtick. Curious about your opinion - has BH met your expectations and is he the right coach to lead SIU back to annual contention for league championships and NCAA/NIT bids? My view - nothing about his past or present (scheduling/recruiting/x-and-o) indicate he is the right coach for SIU any longer.
bonez
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby underdawg » March 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Let me ask you a question: what is it about Porter Moser's record as a head coach (194-211 without this year's sterling 32-5, at THREE different places (Ark Little rock, Illinois State and Loyola) that indicates he has turned anything around YET--By the way he never finished above 5th place in three different Leagues till this one. I'm not saying he hasn't turned it but if you look at his overall record, there is no indication. We'll see in the next few years--if he's around

Coach Hinson, I'd say needs to step his recruiting, schedule (and I think he will) and go to at least an NIT this coming season. Everyone, including him knows that
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby austinsaluki » March 27th, 2018, 5:20 pm

You're insane.

Seriously.
austinsaluki
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby austinsaluki » March 27th, 2018, 5:31 pm

underdawg, do you think BH prepares his team in this fashion?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... final-four

Please shut up.
austinsaluki
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby austinsaluki » March 27th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Why don't you address what Spike brings up instead of attacking him as a person/poster?

I'm guessing you're old enough to remember when "Freshman Comp" was called "Rhetoric," right? You don't remember that class? I think we all had to take it back in the day. I used to teach it.

You're engaging in what is known as "argument ad hominem." Shut up unless you're willing to address the actual arguments that Spike brings up.

He could be the biggest a$$hole in the world, but until you address the points he brings up, you're just some guy polishing Hinson's knob.

Oledawg wrote:
Spike wrote:This is just sad. Heartbreaking. SIU was done with Hinson. He was gone. The money was collected to buy him out and his replacement was on board. He had told his staff they were out.

The worst coaching hire in the history of the program was gone. 6 years ago SIU had a choice. Go with an unproven coach with upside or go with a coach who was let go from a school in the same conference and couldn't even find an assistant position after the fact.

Hinson is one of the worst recruiters in college basketball. He is an at best mediocre in game coach. He puts some of the worst schedules imaginable together to pad his win total, and he has a long career of empty 20 win seasons with resumes that aren't even NIT worthy.

SIU was done with him. We were finally done. The guy who should have never been hired in the first place was gone.

And somehow he got one more year for reasons no one can understand.

Evansville and Missouri State made smart decisions. SIU doubled down on the worst decision it ever made.
Spike, your buzz kill attitude is what is sad. You bash the Valley. I’ve NEVER heard you say anything good about the league or it’s players. You repeatedly slammed Loyola coming to the league. You act as if most SIU recruits should be playing D2. You claimed you were a scout for the Florida Marlins. Quite simply you’re a turd. I have been reading your posts for 10 years and HAVE never seen you say a good thing about SIU basketball. Why do you choose to come to this board and pollute it with your @#$&! You and your buddies just helped Saluki Nation shut down.
austinsaluki
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby dean_siu » March 27th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Barry Hinson is a fartknocker. Bring back Lowery.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball