Say it ain’t so Niko

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Say it ain’t so Niko

Postby Sir Sci » March 23rd, 2018, 8:42 am

uniguy wrote:
pafan wrote:
Cedar Falls is an objectively "shittier" (your term) place than Des Moines. Drake is also a great school academically. Yet UNI has had only two coaches over the past two decades that have done a great job at that school. It is infuriating and truly puzzling that Drake cannot find sustained success given their location and quality as an institution.

Let's be real. No one is clamoring to move to Des Moines. Nor most other MVC cities, to be fair.

And strong academics are in direct conflict with strong athletics - especially with "The Drake Way" setting eligibility criteria higher than the NCAA's bar by what was it, a full grade point?

Actually a ton of people are moving to Des Moines.

I've always liked Des Moines as a city, as well as Iowa City. It's the rest of Iowa that's infuriating. The highways are hella confusing, starting and stopping at seemingly random places, and ending in T intersections. Rural Iowa is also the only place I've ever been stuck behind a man on a tricycle while driving on the highway.

Iowa is, along with West Virginia, one of only two states that I've ever visited that I could never imaging moving to in my entire life. I'd add Kentucky to the list, but Louisville is pretty swell.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Majik45 » March 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

Someone posted this on the Bradley board, but wouldn't it be great if the conferences sent Colorado State to Drake next year for the Mountain West Missouri Valley Challenge? Only bad part would be that Drake probably won't have the team to win that game next year.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby carrcar » March 23rd, 2018, 4:07 pm

Sir Sci wrote:(snipped)
I've always liked Des Moines as a city, as well as Iowa City. It's the rest of Iowa that's infuriating. The highways are hella confusing, starting and stopping at seemingly random places, and ending in T intersections. Rural Iowa is also the only place I've ever been stuck behind a man on a tricycle while driving on the highway.

Iowa is, along with West Virginia, one of only two states that I've ever visited that I could never imaging moving to in my entire life. I'd add Kentucky to the list, but Louisville is pretty swell.

I find it amusing that someone from Missouri complains about another state's roads.
carrcar
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniguy » March 23rd, 2018, 4:18 pm

sir sci wrote:

While I don't think the highways are particularly confusing (no more so than any other place), I will say I am not surprised you got stuck behind a man on a tricycle.

That said, Iowa is awesome. Des Moines in particular, but the whole state is great. You're missing out.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Drakey » March 23rd, 2018, 8:03 pm

Majik45 wrote:Someone posted this on the Bradley board, but wouldn't it be great if the conferences sent Colorado State to Drake next year for the Mountain West Missouri Valley Challenge? Only bad part would be that Drake probably won't have the team to win that game next year.

We would probably get killed unless a new coach can convince some of our recruits to stay, but i would enjoy spending two hours behind the CSU bench telling PeeWee what I think about him.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » March 24th, 2018, 7:22 am

Bulldog2323 wrote:Another name being thrown around is Brett Nelson who is currently an assistant at Marquette. Drake's new AD Brian Hardin comes from Marquette. Nelson was an assistant under Phelps.

The bad news keeps coming for Drake-their top recruit has already decommitted. Further it's been revealed that at least 2 other recruits have not yet signed letters of intent.

It's been revealed?

Those two didn't commit until after the fall signing period was over. There was no way they could have signed letters of intent. Perhaps you didn't realize that there are only two periods throughout the year that players can sign their LOI.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BCPanther » March 27th, 2018, 9:11 am

If Drake isn't blowing up Scott Cross's phone, they're making a huge mistake. That guy made UT-Arlington relevant. He'd be a really good coach in the Valley. I was really impressed with how his team competed and played when they were in Cedar Falls in December.

Guy goes 72-33 over the last 3 years and has 8 of the 11 winning seasons they've ever had and gets fired for 'on court performance'. Delusional.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » March 27th, 2018, 9:21 am

BCPanther wrote:If Drake isn't blowing up Scott Cross's phone, they're making a huge mistake. That guy made UT-Arlington relevant. He'd be a really good coach in the Valley. I was really impressed with how his team competed and played when they were in Cedar Falls in December.

Guy goes 72-33 over the last 3 years and has 8 of the 11 winning seasons they've ever had and gets fired for 'on court performance'. Delusional.

I'm with you here-this is in the same territory as Bradley firing Molinari-let's see if they also hire a stock broker to replace him :?

That said, guys like Cross don't often become available. I'm not entirely sure about fit...UT Arlington and Drake aren't exactly similar academic institutions. But if you're not at least aggressively trying to get in touch with him, this would be a fail.

Dude has never lost in Carver Arena, FWIW. That includes 4 games over 18 seasons.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball