Say it ain’t so Niko

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Say it ain’t so Niko

Postby RacerJoeD » March 22nd, 2018, 4:38 pm

Drake should give a long look at Texas A&M assistant Isaac Chew. Former AC at Indian Hills CC in Ottumwa, former assistant at Mizzou and Marquette (and in the spirit of full disclosure he was an assistant at Murray St as well).

From Chicago, he attended Wells High School and Iowa Lakes CC.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 22nd, 2018, 5:07 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:This may sound hypocritical given I nixed him as a candidate at MSU, but the situations are different and I think given Drake is going to be rebuilding with so many seniors this year, McCullom of NWMST would be a good candidate to come in and build and stay a while. It ain't a flashy or big name hire, but the guy is looking for that first chance at the next level. He's young and has built a fantastic program at the D-2 level.

I told someone the same thing this afternoon.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bulldog2323 » March 22nd, 2018, 7:21 pm

Another name being thrown around is Brett Nelson who is currently an assistant at Marquette. Drake's new AD Brian Hardin comes from Marquette. Nelson was an assistant under Phelps.

The bad news keeps coming for Drake-their top recruit has already decommitted. Further it's been revealed that at least 2 other recruits have not yet signed letters of intent.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ColonialBulldog » March 22nd, 2018, 8:20 pm

BCPanther wrote:Just confirms how shitty the Drake job is. Two decent years in 40 and both coaches bolt.

Unfortunately you make a good point. Next year's seniors are going to have their 4th coach in as many years. Unacceptable and unbelievable. I honestly don't understand why.

Cedar Falls is an objectively "shittier" (your term) place than Des Moines. Drake is also a great school academically. Yet UNI has had only two coaches over the past two decades that have done a great job at that school. It is infuriating and truly puzzling that Drake cannot find sustained success given their location and quality as an institution.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » March 22nd, 2018, 9:48 pm

Cedar Falls is an objectively "shittier" (your term) place than Des Moines. Drake is also a great school academically. Yet UNI has had only two coaches over the past two decades that have done a great job at that school. It is infuriating and truly puzzling that Drake cannot find sustained success given their location and quality as an institution.

Let's be real. No one is clamoring to move to Des Moines. Nor most other MVC cities, to be fair.

And strong academics are in direct conflict with strong athletics - especially with "The Drake Way" setting eligibility criteria higher than the NCAA's bar by what was it, a full grade point?
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby ColonialBulldog » March 22nd, 2018, 10:31 pm

pafan wrote:

Let's be real. No one is clamoring to move to Des Moines.

I'd disagree on that point. Forbes is annually ranking Des Moines as a top 10 city for young professionals and was recently named the wealthiest city in America by the today show.

As for the academic standards, I understand that the total pool of potential recruits may be smaller at Drake than other places. However, the chances of sealing the deal with a recruit should be better if you are offering a Drake degree. (To clarify, I'm not saying you can't get a great degree at other schools in the conference and I'm not saying that Drake is an Ivy League school. I just know that it is a great school where you can get a great degree.)
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniguy » March 22nd, 2018, 11:07 pm

pafan wrote:

Let's be real. No one is clamoring to move to Des Moines. Nor most other MVC cities, to be fair.

And strong academics are in direct conflict with strong athletics - especially with "The Drake Way" setting eligibility criteria higher than the NCAA's bar by what was it, a full grade point?

Actually a ton of people are moving to Des Moines.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 23rd, 2018, 1:20 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Matthew Bain @MatthewBain_
Drake AD Brian Hardin said Niko Medved called him on Tuesday night to say he was pulling out of the Colorado State coaching search.

Matthew Bain @MatthewBain_
Hardin said Niko Medved called him at 9:30 this morning to say he was taking the job. Said he thought Niko was joking.

3 minute video of presser
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 06232&_rdr

Niko invited Hardin over to his home Tuesday night where Hardin and Niko celebrated over scotch and their mutual desire to build up Drake the right way.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » March 23rd, 2018, 4:35 am

Wow,doesn't sound like a very classy person to me. :huh:
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VUFWAlum » March 23rd, 2018, 8:07 am

If you are a recruit, how does Niko Medved look you in the eye and tell you anything that you would believe??? IMO his integrity just went into the toilet and I wouldn't believe a word that he would say. I know that the world of higher education has become much more cutthroat in the last 10 years, but I also have to question the integrity of an institution that pursues a coach in the manner it appears Colorado State did with Niko.
VUFWAlum
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball