Walter McCarty New Evansville Head Coach

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Walter McCarty New Evansville Head Coach

Postby tribecalledquest » April 16th, 2018, 10:27 am

ACECARD wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
No Folding Aces wrote:The Aces have gotten serious. More signings coming soon with a high ceiling for each. Not many potential recruits have even considered being a Purple Ace for the last 15+ years. Those things are about to change. Welcome Walter McCarty and his terrific, experienced staff :Yea!:

How did Marty even field a roster if not many potential recruits even considered being a Purple Ace?? You would think Evansville was 0-18 every season in the MVC.

I love over-the-top new coach enthusiasm.

I believe that Folding meant to say that not many 2, and 3, star recruits considered the Aces. Of course Marty could always find 5 guys to put on the floor. After going for nearly 20 years of just being a slightly relevant basketball program, it's pretty hard to not be overly excited at the prospect of a coach who might bring the Aces into the 21st century.

I get new coach excitement. I do. But I will caution that rebuilding a roster starting in late March/April/May is tough. If half of these guys are playing major minutes in 2-3 seasons I will be surprised. Nothing wrong with that--I just don't' think major difference makers are out there right now. Not a ton anyway.

From Brian Wardle's first spring class once he got the job two players remain: a starter in Lautier-Ogunleye and a bench guy in Luuk van Bree. That's it.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ACECARD » April 16th, 2018, 1:05 pm

tribe, you are certainly correct. I don't think any Aces fan thinks we are going to the NCAA's, or NIT this next year, but I think we all would like to think we might have a decent chance to avoid the play in game in St. Louis. And I think that if we can get a better than average player to play the 5 position, to go along with the two recruits I have seen, I think we just might be able to do that.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 16th, 2018, 6:15 pm

I hope it's true that this staff turns Evansville around. The fanbase deserves a competitive team. For the first time since Crews was coach, I believe that Aces fans have reason to believe that they have the men in place to lead them in the right direction. However, given how strong and competitive the Valley is supposed to be this year, I would not be surprised if it takes at least a year or more for the seeds being planted in Evansville today to begin to bear fruit. I don't think any schools outside of the four in Illinois can confidently pronounce themselves as likely to avoid the play in game. Outside of that, I see four schools with a good shot to avoid the PIG meaning two will be disappointed. This tier includes UNI Valpo Indiana State and Missouri State. The third tier of likely PIG participants is Evansville and Drake. Both programs have experienced a tremendous amount of turnover (new coach decommitments\transfers, replacement of on-court leadership and prolific scorers like Timmer and Taylor.) that's a lot for any program to overcome. I'm not saying they won't be competitive or turn in decent seasons. I can see both winning their share of games and turning in decent metrics overall; it's just that this conference is tough enough to win under the best of circumstances. Don't take it as a slight to either program.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » April 16th, 2018, 6:26 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:I hope it's true that this staff turns Evansville around. The fanbase deserves a competitive team. For the first time since Crews was coach, I believe that Aces fans have reason to believe that they have the men in place to lead them in the right direction. However, given how strong and competitive the Valley is supposed to be this year, I would not be surprised if it takes at least a year or more for the seeds being planted in Evansville today to begin to bear fruit. I don't think any schools outside of the four in Illinois can confidently pronounce themselves as likely to avoid the play in game. Outside of that, I see four schools with a good shot to avoid the PIG meaning two will be disappointed. This tier includes UNI Valpo Indiana State and Missouri State. The third tier of likely PIG participants is Evansville and Drake. Both programs have experienced a tremendous amount of turnover (new coach decommitments\transfers, replacement of on-court leadership and prolific scorers like Timmer and Taylor.) that's a lot for any program to overcome. I'm not saying they won't be competitive or turn in decent seasons. I can see both winning their share of games and turning in decent metrics overall; it's just that this conference is tough enough to win under the best of circumstances. Don't take it as a slight to either program.

I might have the same reservations about Valpo not making the play in game. Let's hope we are not too disappointed when the Aces, and Valpo, play in the first game on Thursday night next year.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 16th, 2018, 7:03 pm

I'm fully aware of the possibility even likelihood of a second bottom four finish.The Valey will be strong this year. ISUr ISUb UNI SIU and Bradley are all going to be a lot better. Loyola is getting longer and more athletic and shouldn't see much of a dropoff from last year. But I know that Valpo will be much better too. Whether they got good enough to make a meaningful move up the standings remains to be seen. I think 5-8 range is a very fair esrly prediction. Therefore I won't be too upset if we end up in the PIG. I think 2019-2020 could be the year Valpo really makes some noise in this conference. I hope for good things in the near future for your Aces as well.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bball Junkie » April 20th, 2018, 11:23 am

More signs of the Evansville athletics department ramping up: http://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/4/20/ ... -area.aspx
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » April 20th, 2018, 11:33 am

Bball Junkie wrote:More signs of the Evansville athletics department ramping up: http://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/4/20/ ... -area.aspx

UNI, a distant 3rd in terms of coverage in a smaller population state, has had a radio network since the early 80s. I guess I didn't realize how far down the pecking order Evansville is. Yikes.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 20th, 2018, 11:42 am

I guess winning the Thursday night Purple Party gave UNI fans here bragging rights.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 20th, 2018, 3:43 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:I guess winning the Thursday night Purple Party gave UNI fans here bragging rights.

Wasn't bragging at all. Just shocked that UE didn't have a radio nextwork already...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bball Junkie » April 20th, 2018, 6:24 pm

UE has a radio network for a long time but moved all sports to their university run station several years ago.

UE just added the El Paso, TX player of the year Jawaun Newton, the leading scorer in Texas 5A basketball. The kid is a stud. His younger brother Tristen Newton may join him...
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball