Walter McCarty New Evansville Head Coach

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Walter McCarty New Evansville Head Coach

Postby acesfool » April 3rd, 2018, 8:49 pm

I hope Walter keeps that exciting style of setting multiple picks to get a contested elbow jumper.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 3rd, 2018, 9:03 pm

I....hmm...

This seems like a cross between Georgtown hiring Patrick Ewing - long time NBA assistant with no HC experience or recruiting experience but he's a hometown hero - and Tulane hiring Mike Dunleavy Sr.

Maybe it works out. It seems to have energized the fans. I don't know if I see it turning out any differently than those two hires have but for the sake of the conference I hope it does.
Last edited by uniftw on April 3rd, 2018, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 3rd, 2018, 9:36 pm

He's promised tougher schedules. That's a good thing.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 3rd, 2018, 10:04 pm

They cant get worse than what Marty did.

Marty set the standard that Lusk followed for keeping a job years longer than you should have. Schedule as weak as possible to rack up 10-11 OOC wins so when you only get 7 or 8 conference wins and win one or two conference tourney games after being a PIG team you can go "Yeah, but we are winning 20 games"
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » April 3rd, 2018, 10:17 pm

uniftw wrote:I....hmm...

This seems like a cross between Georgtown hiring Patrick Ewing - long time NBA assistant with no HC experience or recruiting experience but he's a hometown hero - and Tulane hiring Mike Dunleavy Sr.

Maybe it works out. It seems to have energized the fans. I don't know if I see it turning out any differently than those two hires have but for the sake of the conference I hope it does.

I don’t think the jury is out on either of those hires yet. Dunleavy has shown great improvement in his 2 seasons.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 3rd, 2018, 10:26 pm

AndShock wrote:

I don’t think the jury is out on either of those hires yet. Dunleavy has shown great improvement in his 2 seasons.

8-28 in conference play...sure seems like it. They were 9-27 the two years before Dunleavy. They have go to 9-7 in AAC play and have 24 total wins this year to equal the 3 years prior.

RPIs of 298 and 178 are bad even by MVC standards - granted the MVC was only like .02 points behind the AAC this year. Their RPIs the 3 years leading into Dunleavy taking over? 178, 213 and 214

Ewing went 5-13 in Big East play, 3 of their 5 wins were the two teams that finished below them in the standings. RPI wins of 279, 212, 340, 204, 339, 342, 336, 226, 350 and 209 OOC. Marty Simmons thinks that is weak.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » April 3rd, 2018, 10:42 pm

uniftw wrote:
AndShock wrote:

8-28 in conference play...sure seems like it. They were 9-27 the two years before Dunleavy. They have go to 9-7 in AAC play and have 24 total wins this year to equal the 3 years prior.

RPIs of 298 and 178 are bad even by MVC standards - granted the MVC was only like .02 points behind the AAC this year. Their RPIs the 3 years leading into Dunleavy taking over? 178, 213 and 214

Ewing went 5-13 in Big East play, 3 of their 5 wins were the two teams that finished below them in the standings. RPI wins of 279, 212, 340, 204, 339, 342, 336, 226, 350 and 209 OOC. Marty Simmons thinks that is weak.

Then I guess you would agree that Brian Wardle and Porter Moser were terrible hires?
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BigMacAttack » April 4th, 2018, 5:17 am

uniftw wrote:They cant get worse than what Marty did.

Marty set the standard that Lusk followed for keeping a job years longer than you should have. Schedule as weak as possible to rack up 10-11 OOC wins so when you only get 7 or 8 conference wins and win one or two conference tourney games after being a PIG team you can go "Yeah, but we are winning 20 games"

New coach and new philosophy for the Aces program. Same old crap from you. Four months silence wasn't enough. BTW, not a new Aces poster, just a new name.
"Most rock journalism is people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read."- Frank Zappa.
BigMacAttack
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 4th, 2018, 8:35 am

uniftw wrote:
AndShock wrote:

First of all, welcome back to the board uniftw. You disappeared all season as your preseason predictions for UNI got squashed...

With that said, give these coaches a bit of time to bring in their own recruits before judging them. Ewing was in year 1. Dunleavy was in year 2 (went from 6-25 to 14-17).

McCarty has a much higher ceiling than Marty. Good hire here for now...
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on April 4th, 2018, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby E-Villan » April 4th, 2018, 8:57 am

BigMacAttack wrote:
uniftw wrote:They cant get worse than what Marty did.

New coach and new philosophy for the Aces program. Same old crap from you. Four months silence wasn't enough. BTW, not a new Aces poster, just a new name.

I don't see anything unwarranted in the OP. There is no question Marty scheduled like crap to rack up wins. Not only did it cost us true postseason berths, it ran fans away in droves.

Fans outside of the program haven't seen all of the transformation we have seen in the last month. They know Marty finally got fired, and was replaced by a NBA assistant. They don't know we have a new president, who along with his wife, were both NCAA officials at one time. They haven't seen our AD on every media outlet he can find discussing high expectations, and affirming repeatedly that the resources are there and will be committed to achieving these expectations. They haven't seen McCarty telling anyone who will listen the same expectations, along with his promise to strengthen the schedule and play a different style of basketball. His public persona is 180 of Marty's, and that is a very good thing. They haven't seen the ticket office breaking all records for advance season ticket sales...in March.

We now have the facilities, resources, and finally, a commitment from the administration to run with anyone in the league. While unproven as of yet, we have a coach who has a public persona, with a background of working with Pitino and Brad Stevens. As a nearly 50 year follower of this program, I don't know if I have ever seen this much interest and excitement, certainly not since Crews, Haffner and company 25 years ago. How it translates to on court success is uncertain, it is absolutely clear that the dark cloud that has sat over this program for the last decade is gone.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball