Best MVC game you ever saw

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best MVC game you ever saw

Postby bigdawg » December 14th, 2010, 11:36 am

Having College Gameday on campus won't happen again anytime soon so I'll take the CU-SIU Game. There were several in that series that I could have picked but that's the experience I remember most.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » December 14th, 2010, 11:40 am

Fairly easy to guess the age range of responders by their answers.
A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jays26 » December 14th, 2010, 12:21 pm

[quote="jayball"]totally disagree 26. Horrible game....never should have come down to that shot. We were up big and let our guard down and WSU came charging back. That was a miserable game. for my best games

I would say SIU in the tourney Korver's senior year was a highlight. Complete domination after SIU was running their mouth and wearing those tshirts. I think that was the year we came out flat in the first two game and barely beat InSt and WSU. Great St Louis memory.

Actually there was a strech when Weber was coach that we had some great battles with SIU, every game was intense and fun.

There was the game against WSU in Omaha where Tolliver hit the last second jumper to win after we were down big to Turgeon.

A couple of comeback wins against MSU. Funk/Jacobsen battles were usually fun.

Otherwise the most exciting games I've seen have been against out of conference foes or in the postseason.[/quote]

Exactly why I said "started good and then went bad"

Mainly had to list this game because right before the game heading to my seat, a fat, drunk and stupid (not a good way to go thru life) WSU fan felt the need to waive his sign in my face and trash talk.

But do agree, there are many others that would qualify.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » December 14th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Matty Braeuer's crushing 3-pointer at the buzzer that effectively moved WSU into first place in the conference and sent Creighton NIT-bound.

That was awesome!
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby blueblood » December 14th, 2010, 1:27 pm

I was a senior in high school at the 78 Larry Bird game at the civic. Even though I was in the top row I remember it like it was yesterday. As great as that was, pretty much every game between CU and SIU during the Korver and Funk years were all great. I have been lucky enough to even see two of them in Carbondale and was there for game day. I get to go back again this year with the game on a Fridy night and can't wait.
blueblood
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » December 14th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Most enjoyable MVC game I remember was in late February of 1981. Tulsa came to Vet's Auditorium in Des Moines ranked in the top 20. It was senior night and Drake's Lewis Lloyd and Pop Wright, among others, were playing their last home game.

Bulldogs ended up winning 107-87, and when Lloyd and Wright came out of the game with 5-6 minutes left, they had outscored Tulsa by themselves. Wright finished with 39, Lloyd with 37. Both would have easily been 40+ if they hadn't been pulled as early as they were.

My second choice would probably be a game in January 1979 between Drake and WSU in Des Moines. Bulldogs won 114-109 in OT. Just a great exhibition of running & gunning basketball from both teams. WSU won the return match that year 125-96.

For you youngun's.....scores in the MVC used to be similar to this. Most teams in the league averaged about 80-85 ppg back in those days. And, this was before there was a shot clock or a 3-pt line. Ah, the good old days before grabbing, holding defenses became the norm.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 3ontheway » December 14th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Korver and Kent Williams senior years (I think) final in St. Louis. 80-56, Bruce Weber used all team TOs in the first half.
3ontheway
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby unipanther99 » December 14th, 2010, 3:15 pm

March 1, 2004, regular season finale in the UNI-Dome. Southern Illinois was highly ranked, and came into the game 17-0 in the MVC. About 8000 in the Dome that night, very loud crowd. UNI held Darren Brooks and Jamaal Tatum to 10 points each and went on to win 68-52. Matt Schneiderman had a great game for the Panthers, along with David Gruber and Ben Jacobson (the player).

UNI went on to win the MVC Tournament (over SMS in double-overtime), and get to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 14 years. The SIU game was kind of a statement game, that UNI was going to be a factor in Valley basketball for the foreseeable future.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WuDrWu » December 14th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Hersey Hawkins dropping 28 in the first half on WSU in HLA his senior season whilst being guarded by one of the best defensive stoppers in the league.

The ranked Bradley Braves however couldn't stop the onslaught of Shocker layup drills that day. That was fun basketball.

I don't remember the final score, but something in the 105-87 range I think. Hawkins was inflippincredible. He hit more off balance, guarded, man in your face hanging on your nutsack fade away 30 footers in 1 half than college basketball in the 2000s.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby musiccitybulldog » December 14th, 2010, 4:51 pm

DUBulldog and I share some favorite Bulldog games and years.

One of my favorites was also 1981 when Wichita came to town. I remember at the time thinking Wichita State could probably win the NCAA tournament, and maybe beat a lot of NBA teams.
The memorable part was Drakes, Lewis Lloyd and Pop Wright made a monumental effort to beat them and come up short. But the effort was always memorable and I was super impressed with Carr and Levingston.
I think they went on to the elite 8. I remember they beat Iowa in the NCAA tounament because Iowa called time out when they didn't have one. WSU beat Kansas then lost to LSU if I'm not mistaken. Drake played in the NIT that year.

Another game(s) for me would have been 1969. A friend and myself were seated in the rafters of Vet's auditorium and made our way to about the second row of the student section. The Bulldogs were taking on Iowa State. We were in Jr. High and we obtained quite a basketball education watching the Bulldogs that year.
Dolph Pullium had tremendous foot work, fast hands and it seems had the "belly button defense" mastered.
Willie McCarter would make these outrageous fall away jump shots, some at odd angles and off the glass.
We also found our way back to see the Bulldogs beat Louisville, which was a big game. If I remember Louisville was highly rated. The team went on to the final four just missed beating UCLA by a basket.
Had the Bulldogs beat UCLA they very well could have won the national Championship. I remember my friend and I giving our Jr. High coach a lot of advice after we attended the games and learned the tricks of the trade.

The 2007-2008 Bulldogs also provided a lot of exciting and nail biting games.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball