Loyola’s Success

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Loyola’s Success

Postby jsaluki080 » March 29th, 2018, 12:09 am

Does Loyola’s success have any significant impact on the mvc? If yes, what do you think are some specifics?

If Loyola has a deep run next year, do they get a conference invite elsewhere?
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Loyola’s Success

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Loyola’s Success

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 29th, 2018, 12:34 am

Anecdotally, MVC was a ghost in Chicagoland 5 years ago. Gradually grabbed more awareness the last 5 years.

Then exploded the past month.
Remember the ILST/Loyola finale where secondary ticket prices exceeded the Blackhawks/Bulls/DePaul combined?
The MVC final that ranked 6th among conferences and exceeded last year’s ratings by 30%?
Now the Sister Jean Mania that’s everywhere (GMA, Access Hollywood, record setting bobblehead sales :lol:)?
And the Sears Tower and other prominent skyscrapers draped in maroon/gold or LUC lighting?

What many thought was a strikeout looking 5 years ago was actually a mystery jackpot. A dropped 3rd strike turned grand slam.

For the first time in my life, I am finding everyday people talking Missouri Valley hoops. And that’s without me initiating conversation.

It’s one thing to speculate market potential. It’s another to see it with your own eyes.

Dream come true. Thank you Loyola.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jsaluki080 » March 29th, 2018, 2:03 am

MissouriValleyUnite, I’m sure more ppl are talking about/interested in the MVC, especially up around Chicago, and buying more Loyola merchandise but will that translate into tv deals? Will the ncaa tourney committee be more respectful to MVC teams in terms of ranking/bids?

As I see it, one great scenario would be more Chicago area atheletes are willing to play for MVC team (hopefully Loyola doesn’t get them all)
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEARZ77 » March 29th, 2018, 5:35 am

It's nice and it will certainly give Loyola a chance to increase interest and attendance next year, but without sustained success by both Loyola and other MVC teams , it'll be just a blip in a year or two. Remember other MM teams have done similar in the past decade; if they were able to parlay that into sustained success then they profited individually like Butler and WSU, but their conferences didn't. If they didn't sustain it, then a couple years later, who thinks about George Mason nationally ??? Remember the A-10 also had VCU make a run, so ask yourself, is the A-10 closer to being included with the Bigs, or closer to being raided for the few good teams and fading into obscurity.

The system is just too slanted towards the P-5+1[maybe 2] right now. It's extremely hard for an individual team to make inroads, but still possible; it's even more so for a conference.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 29th, 2018, 10:48 am

Most of the impact will be for Loyola. However, I think the whole conference benefits by recruits having a better awareness that we play some real ball in the MVC. Once again, that mostly benefits Loyola, but there can be a realization on the part of recruits that the MVC isn't a backwater where you are destined to languish in anonymity forever. You could go to the Final Four.

But as stated above, the programs in the conference have to take advantage of the opportunity given them. Use this to talk to better recruits. Close those deals. Win more games. Make the conference stronger as a result.

History has shown that very few MVC schools will take advantage of great tournament runs. Wichita did, but they were already set up for it. For everyone else, this was a complete surprise. Now it's up to the coaches and AD's to grab the bull by the horns and really make this work.
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby LanceShock » March 29th, 2018, 11:23 am

It will be interesting to watch how Loyola builds on their success this year. They have taken a big step toward proving the wisdom of bringing them into the Valley this year. We will see whether or not they can truly fulfill the promise the Valley saw if they can use this success as a springboard moving forward to further success.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CoolArrow » March 29th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Just an FYI, George Mason and VCU made their runs to the FF while in the Colonial Athletic. Im not all that familiar with A-10 realignment, but I would think this helped them jump from the CAA to the A-10 after Xavier+Butler departed to the Big East.

Without those FF appearances, Im not sure either gets called up. VCU probably does but George Mason hasnt done very much since.
CoolArrow
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 30th, 2018, 12:05 am

Article on Loyola's run and what it means for the MVC.

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/loyolas ... um=twitter
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 30th, 2018, 8:46 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Article on Loyola's run and what it means for the MVC.

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/loyolas ... um=twitter

Nice article. Our hands out for payouts despite contributing NOTHING to earn it...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » March 30th, 2018, 9:37 am

jsaluki080 wrote:MissouriValleyUnite, I’m sure more ppl are talking about/interested in the MVC, especially up around Chicago, and buying more Loyola merchandise but will that translate into tv deals? Will the ncaa tourney committee be more respectful to MVC teams in terms of ranking/bids?

As I see it, one great scenario would be more Chicago area atheletes are willing to play for MVC team (hopefully Loyola doesn’t get them all)

It could certainly translate into a bigger ESPN deal, and ensure CBS stays on board. The MVCT final ratings were proof in the pudding. And at that time, Loyola fever hadn't even taken hold yet. More ESPN_ and CBSSN games and more money for them can't hurt.

Recruiting in Chicago gets easier.

Obviously, Chicago media is all over Loyola ATM. Will this increased coverage carry over? I think it might, esp if Loyola starts hot again next year. If they stumble though, they'll get buried. That remains to be seen. But no doubt their ceiling is so much higher than Wichiwho's.

Will the committee give us better seeds? Bradley's AD will make sure they don't forget this!
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball