War Zone in Carbondale: SIU AD lights match to Barry’s seat

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: War Zone in Carbondale: SIU AD lights match to Barry’s s

Postby Spike » April 11th, 2018, 4:44 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Spike wrote:
underdawg wrote::lol: Hinson's 2018-19 team will not by any measure be "mediocre", bro

SIU's 2017-18 conference rankings again:

7th in the league in scoring. 7th in defense. 8th in 3 pt attempts. 5th in 3 pt %. 6th in 3 pt defense. 8th in FG defense. 9th in FT%. 9th in rebounds. 6th in offensive rebounds. 10th in defensive rebounds. 8th in rebounds margin. 7th in defending rebounds. 7th in turnovers created. 7th in turnovers conceded

Lost to SEMO at home. Lost to a severely undermanned SLU. Got blown out by Louisville. Murray State, and both times they played Loyola. Lost by 30 to Evansville, a Thursday team the last game of the season. Needed overtime to beat two other Thuraday night teams down the games before that Evansville loss.

Only recruits next year are the like #40 forward in Illinois whose only offers were from 2 low majors, a kid from Missouri whose played one year of organized basketball, and a coaches kid who is talented but is rumored might not qualify.

Last years SIU team finished 2nd but their stats as a team in conference play profiled as a Thursday night team. They also went 3-5 against the other 4 top 5 teams.

This team, due to Hinson being one of the worst recruiters in college basketball, is arguably the least talented top to bottom in the conference. I have no idea why people are expecting such big things.

Pippen and Thik Bol alone make you a contender.
Throw in Bartley, Fletcher and mini LeBron and you guys are right there.

I wish "Spike" was the AD for SIU. He would Fire Hinson today and some of these guys leave. Would be great for clearing our path.

Isn't 3* recruit Darius Beane coming in as well? Fire Hinson and his father leaves too...Beane can come to ISUr

Thik Bol is not that great. Incredibly one dimensional and can't guard without fouling. The rest of the frontcourt is made up of Weiher and Stradnieks, neither of whom are D1 caliber players.

Marcus Bartley averaged 6 pts and 3 assists as a redshirt junior and isn't particularly good defensively.

I dont know who you are calling mini Lebron.

Beane is the coaches son who is rumored to be a non-qualifier.

And I doubt Hinson leaving would cause players to bolt. By most accounts he is not particularly popular and he has a habit of throwing players under the bus after losses and taking 100% of the credit after wins. In fact it is speculated the most likely to transfer is Armon Fletcher because Hinson was retained.

And it's not like people would be beating down SIUs doors for anyone. Fletcher, Cook, and Lloyd are nice players but would be reserves on a good mid major team. Fletcher in particular tends to only look good against poor teams. He was non existent against Louisville until the Cardinals had their 3rd string in and played poorly against both Nevada and Murray State. Lloyd was only marginally better.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 12th, 2018, 7:47 am

mini LeBron = Sean Lloyd (body type only)

And okay, you take over SIU please. I am all for it.

Pippen was destroying ISUr in the Arch semis until he fouled out. At that point, Phil Fayne had something like 17 points to win the game. Add in another rim protector this year with Bol and Krutwig (Loyola) and Fayne (ISUr) get neutralized. Both are going to be big pieces in the final say for the Valley race

My predictions with Bol and Beane (if he qualifies):

1. ISUr
2. Loyola and SIU - tied
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » April 12th, 2018, 8:05 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:My predictions with Bol and Beane (if he qualifies):

1. ISUr
2. Loyola and SIU - tied

.......and then ILSU proceeds to lose by 20 on Sunday again and goes to the NIT?
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 12th, 2018, 8:07 am

mvfcfan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:My predictions with Bol and Beane (if he qualifies):

1. ISUr
2. Loyola and SIU - tied

.......and then ILSU proceeds to lose by 20 on Sunday again and goes to the NIT?

Absolutely! Seems to be a re-occuring theme
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » April 12th, 2018, 12:10 pm

I believe the aggrieved on the old SN board wanted wonder coach Bryan Mullins on the bench--they believed Mullins (who has been and assistant two years) is responsible for turning the Ramblers around this year--no explanation about last season when we beat Loyola three times in a row.
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jackwagon » April 12th, 2018, 12:45 pm

SIU fans are funny. Do you not realize how bad you all were when Hinson took over? You were playing 6'2 guys at the 4 spot. He took a broke athletic department, horrible roster, and scholarship restrictions and brought you back to respectability. Now he has one of the most talented teams in the league and still can't catch a break. If everyone comes back they are my favorite to win the league. Followed closely by ISUR and Loyola.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm

jackwagon wrote:SIU fans are funny. Do you not realize how bad you all were when Hinson took over? You were playing 6'2 guys at the 4 spot. He took a broke athletic department, horrible roster, and scholarship restrictions and brought you back to respectability. Now he has one of the most talented teams in the league and still can't catch a break. If everyone comes back they are my favorite to win the league. Followed closely by ISUR and Loyola.

Barry inherited the #265 program with #180 budget and handicapped recruiting to start and flipped it into the top 100.

If a corporate executive yielded that ROI, they’d be very rich. Sign me up for that company in a heartbeat.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » April 12th, 2018, 3:10 pm

I almost laugh when I read the varying SIU fan base perceptions, cause that's Barry. Both sides have valid views and that's why fan bases tend to become fractured where BH is concerned. I would love to think he has grown as a coach over the years and that next year might signal his crowning achievement; I truly like the guy. No doubt he got screwed at least twice by the NCAA committee when at MSU, but no doubt he did just enough[ or didn't] to give them an out in denying a NCAA bid. I picked SIU to win this year and then watched as in typical BH fashion, first he had bad luck with injuries, but then seemingly having overcome those, his team imploded down the stretch. I fully understand the optimism for SIU next year, but having watched a Barry trainwreck many times before, just can't see it not happening again. It's never total destruction, just agonizingly untimely losses at key moments. I don't know if SIU would be better off if he finally got his NCAA bid, or if he failed and they had a chance to move on........ that's the paradox of Barry.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » April 12th, 2018, 5:15 pm

I respect you're perspective. And no one can really predict injuries sickness etc--But to show what a crap shoot it can be hiring a new coach, just look in a mirror at your own program, Since Barry was fired at MSU in 2008 the Bears have gone 167-162 with one NIT and One CIT--and as most mids find out when you get a semi-decent one like you did with Martin, someone with more money takes him in three years.
Maybe Hinson will be let go after 2018-19 but these trolls who could affect our recruiting and transfers, can't seem to STFU for one year for the process to go one way or the other--That P's me off with it's stupidity
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby All-MVC Fan » April 12th, 2018, 5:16 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I almost laugh when I read the varying SIU fan base perceptions, cause that's Barry. Both sides have valid views and that's why fan bases tend to become fractured where BH is concerned. I would love to think he has grown as a coach over the years and that next year might signal his crowning achievement; I truly like the guy. No doubt he got screwed at least twice by the NCAA committee when at MSU, but no doubt he did just enough[ or didn't] to give them an out in denying a NCAA bid. I picked SIU to win this year and then watched as in typical BH fashion, first he had bad luck with injuries, but then seemingly having overcome those, his team imploded down the stretch. I fully understand the optimism for SIU next year, but having watched a Barry trainwreck many times before, just can't see it not happening again. It's never total destruction, just agonizingly untimely losses at key moments. I don't know if SIU would be better off if he finally got his NCAA bid, or if he failed and they had a chance to move on........ that's the paradox of Barry.

Not sure “imploded” is the right word. More like “ran out of gas,” or “tired out,” neither of which was something that Barry should have to answer for. From the outside looking in, it was a remarkable job of keeping the team focused and fighting.
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball