War Zone in Carbondale: SIU AD lights match to Barry’s seat

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: War Zone in Carbondale: SIU AD lights match to Barry’s s

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 12th, 2018, 7:01 pm

I think what most fans who find themselves against Barry Hinson don't like about the guy is his penchant for poor scheduling even when he has a chance to compete for more than the auto bid and his often defeatist pessimistic attitude toward mid majors scheduling up trying to get at large bids. Saying "the path to the tournament is solely through winning Arch Madness," even if it's right more often than it isn't, plays right in the committee's hands. If that's his attitude he might as well give up and go home because that's the message he's sending to the players. Furthermore, folks may find it galling that a coach who has been to as many NCAA Tournaments as they have would speak as though he's some kind of authority on getting to the Dance.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » April 12th, 2018, 7:21 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:mini LeBron = Sean Lloyd (body type only)

And okay, you take over SIU please. I am all for it.

Pippen was destroying ISUr in the Arch semis until he fouled out. At that point, Phil Fayne had something like 17 points to win the game. Add in another rim protector this year with Bol and Krutwig (Loyola) and Fayne (ISUr) get neutralized. Both are going to be big pieces in the final say for the Valley race

My predictions with Bol and Beane (if he qualifies):

1. ISUr
2. Loyola and SIU - tied

You really think adding another "rim protector" is going to neutralize Krutwig? He was scoring with relative ease during Loyolas final four run against some very good teams. No way you stop him with single coverage. If you double him he's such a gifted passer he's going to make you pay. Every non Loyola fan is going to be sick of that kid by the time his 4 years is up.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » April 12th, 2018, 8:05 pm

So now Krutwig is unstoppable? ok, I guess we'll find out if your boy is the next coming of Abdul Jabar soon enough :lol:
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby cpacmel » April 12th, 2018, 8:43 pm

glm38 wrote:He was scoring with relative ease during Loyolas final four run against some very good teams.

He's good but against those very good teams he only averaged 10 points per game. 3 of their 5 games he didn't even hit double digits.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jackwagon » April 13th, 2018, 4:43 am

I think the thing that bothered Cam more than anything this year was girth, not length. He had little problem backing down and then getting into the taller yet thinner dudes. If you look within our league I think Murphy did as good a job as any on him. Not because he was the most talented, but Cam couldn't back him down and at this point that is his offensive game. Back guys down and then read the D.

Moving forward I don't see anybody on the contenders that will give him a ton of problems as he progresses. As others have said he will be a pain in the rear for opposing teams for 3 years and will give you that "that dude is still there" feeling by his jr and sr seasons.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby underdawg » April 13th, 2018, 8:34 am

jackwagon wrote:I think the thing that bothered Cam more than anything this year was girth, not length. He had little problem backing down and then getting into the taller yet thinner dudes. If you look within our league I think Murphy did as good a job as any on him. Not because he was the most talented, but Cam couldn't back him down and at this point that is his offensive game. Back guys down and then read the D.

Moving forward I don't see anybody on the contenders that will give him a ton of problems as he progresses. As others have said he will be a pain in the rear for opposing teams for 3 years and will give you that "that dude is still there" feeling by his jr and sr seasons.

I think Loyola's strength training crew will work to get him to lose 10-15 more pounds and put back most of that with lean muscle--Krutwig will a good MVC player for the next three years for sure
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » April 13th, 2018, 9:21 am

Krutwig-Phyfe is going to be really fun to watch the next 3 years. Two very similar bodies and really skilled. Phyfe the better shooter, Krutwig the better passer. They're really going to have some battles.

I would agree with above that upper body strength bothered Krutwig more than length. He's got good enough feet to neutralize length.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 13th, 2018, 9:47 am

BCPanther wrote:Krutwig-Phyfe is going to be really fun to watch the next 3 years. Two very similar bodies and really skilled. Phyfe the better shooter, Krutwig the better passer. They're really going to have some battles.

I would agree with above that upper body strength bothered Krutwig more than length. He's got good enough feet to neutralize length.

Are we missing something about Phyfe that would make the rest of us think he is even close to Cam Krutwig?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 13th, 2018, 10:50 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Krutwig-Phyfe is going to be really fun to watch the next 3 years. Two very similar bodies and really skilled. Phyfe the better shooter, Krutwig the better passer. They're really going to have some battles.

Are we missing something about Phyfe that would make the rest of us think he is even close to Cam Krutwig?

Playing time. Had Phyfe not had the concussion and injuries and gotten more minutes, you would have seen what he can be. Very, very similar skill sets. Phyfe will take a huge step forward next year when he starts and gets starter minutes.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » April 13th, 2018, 10:53 am

cpacmel wrote:
glm38 wrote:He was scoring with relative ease during Loyolas final four run against some very good teams.

He's good but against those very good teams he only averaged 10 points per game. 3 of their 5 games he didn't even hit double digits.

True but that was more from him not getting shots than ineffectiveness on his part. When he did get the ball in the post he was very effective in all those games against high level competition. He really showed what he could do in that final tournament game.

I think he'll be a monster over the next 3 years barring injury. Surrounding him with 3 point shooters like Loyola had this year just presents all kinds of problems for the opposition.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball