War Zone in Carbondale: SIU AD lights match to Barry’s seat

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: War Zone in Carbondale: SIU AD lights match to Barry’s s

Postby Spike » April 4th, 2018, 3:58 am

underdawg wrote:Barry Hinson's 2005-06 MSU Bear's team was 20-8 with an RPI of 21 and an SOS of 46--beat University of Arkansas and Wisconsin-Milwaukee (both teams went to NCAA)

His 2006-07 team was 21-10 RPI 36 and SOS 46 , beat Wisconsin and lost to Oklahoma State by 3 pts in OT

But he still went to NIT and was fired i believe the next year--so sometimes whether you are retained or not is out of your hands

They lost to Arkansas. Arkansas and UWM were the only two top 100 teams they played in their 9 game OOC schedule.

Their non con was awful that year and why they were left out of the tournament.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tdawgs87 » April 4th, 2018, 9:39 am

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick that up. Hinson has been playing weak schedules for all 17 years of his coaching career. I am amazed at how he has been a head coach for 17 years and has never been to the NCAA tournament. In 15 years of coaching in the Valley he has won exactly 0 tournament titles and 0 regular season titles, and people wonder WHY SIU fans want a change. :huh:
tdawgs87
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » April 4th, 2018, 9:48 am

tdawgs87 wrote:I was wondering if anyone was going to pick that up. Hinson has been playing weak schedules for all 17 years of his coaching career. I am amazed at how he has been a head coach for 17 years and has never been to the NCAA tournament. In 15 years of coaching in the Valley he has won exactly 0 tournament titles and 0 regular season titles, and people wonder WHY SIU fans want a change. :huh:

+1

And yet Bears fans were really criticized for wanting a change after 9 years with Barry. He's not a terrible coach. He's just not that guy to get you to the next level.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tdawgs87 » April 4th, 2018, 10:16 am

Hinson is a master at working the boosters that matter at SIU. He isn't a horrible coach, however he is not good for SIU and the Valley. It is also amazing how much the media loves him, they never fact check and just take his word for whatever he says. He really manipulates the facts to suit his needs, most people would call them lies but usually there is a sliver of truth in what he says. :Beer: I hope Missouri State's new coach elevates their program, we need everyone in Valley to be better :Cheers: . I really like Missouri State's arena it is really nice.
tdawgs87
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby underdawg » April 4th, 2018, 6:30 pm

tdawgs87 wrote:Hinson is a master at working the boosters that matter at SIU. He isn't a horrible coach, however he is not good for SIU and the Valley. It is also amazing how much the media loves him, they never fact check and just take his word for whatever he says. He really manipulates the facts to suit his needs, most people would call them lies but usually there is a sliver of truth in what he says.

Give me an example of a lie you've heard him say
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bonez » April 10th, 2018, 3:26 pm

glm38 wrote:
tdawgs87 wrote:I was wondering if anyone was going to pick that up. Hinson has been playing weak schedules for all 17 years of his coaching career. I am amazed at how he has been a head coach for 17 years and has never been to the NCAA tournament. In 15 years of coaching in the Valley he has won exactly 0 tournament titles and 0 regular season titles, and people wonder WHY SIU fans want a change. :huh:

+1

And yet Bears fans were really criticized for wanting a change after 9 years with Barry. He's not a terrible coach. He's just not that guy to get you to the next level.

I've made this point before and will make it again. No MSU fans who lived through the Hinson era are surprised at the discontent in Little Egypt. If I were a fan of another team I'd want Barry to remain as he has always been mediocre to slightly above so there is little risk his teams will be dominant in the conference.
bonez
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby underdawg » April 10th, 2018, 4:20 pm

:lol: Hinson's 2018-19 team will not by any measure be "mediocre", bro
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Salukimadness86 » April 10th, 2018, 6:03 pm

underdawg wrote::lol: Hinson's 2018-19 team will not by any measure be "mediocre", bro

IF everybody comes back, there's a chance for this team to do something special. As a coach, Hinson has an opportunity to do something he has never done before, advance to the NCAA tournament. A great incentive to prove his doubters wrong. Question is, will he?
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Spike » April 11th, 2018, 3:26 pm

underdawg wrote::lol: Hinson's 2018-19 team will not by any measure be "mediocre", bro

SIU's 2017-18 conference rankings again:

7th in the league in scoring. 7th in defense. 8th in 3 pt attempts. 5th in 3 pt %. 6th in 3 pt defense. 8th in FG defense. 9th in FT%. 9th in rebounds. 6th in offensive rebounds. 10th in defensive rebounds. 8th in rebounds margin. 7th in defending rebounds. 7th in turnovers created. 7th in turnovers conceded

Lost to SEMO at home. Lost to a severely undermanned SLU. Got blown out by Louisville. Murray State, and both times they played Loyola. Lost by 30 to Evansville, a Thursday team the last game of the season. Needed overtime to beat two other Thuraday night teams down the games before that Evansville loss.

Only recruits next year are the like #40 forward in Illinois whose only offers were from 2 low majors, a kid from Missouri whose played one year of organized basketball, and a coaches kid who is talented but is rumored might not qualify.

Last years SIU team finished 2nd but their stats as a team in conference play profiled as a Thursday night team. They also went 3-5 against the other 4 top 5 teams.

This team, due to Hinson being one of the worst recruiters in college basketball, is arguably the least talented top to bottom in the conference. I have no idea why people are expecting such big things.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 11th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Spike wrote:

SIU's 2017-18 conference rankings again:

7th in the league in scoring. 7th in defense. 8th in 3 pt attempts. 5th in 3 pt %. 6th in 3 pt defense. 8th in FG defense. 9th in FT%. 9th in rebounds. 6th in offensive rebounds. 10th in defensive rebounds. 8th in rebounds margin. 7th in defending rebounds. 7th in turnovers created. 7th in turnovers conceded

Lost to SEMO at home. Lost to a severely undermanned SLU. Got blown out by Louisville. Murray State, and both times they played Loyola. Lost by 30 to Evansville, a Thursday team the last game of the season. Needed overtime to beat two other Thuraday night teams down the games before that Evansville loss.

Only recruits next year are the like #40 forward in Illinois whose only offers were from 2 low majors, a kid from Missouri whose played one year of organized basketball, and a coaches kid who is talented but is rumored might not qualify.

Last years SIU team finished 2nd but their stats as a team in conference play profiled as a Thursday night team. They also went 3-5 against the other 4 top 5 teams.

This team, due to Hinson being one of the worst recruiters in college basketball, is arguably the least talented top to bottom in the conference. I have no idea why people are expecting such big things.

Pippen and Thik Bol alone make you a contender.
Throw in Bartley, Fletcher and mini LeBron and you guys are right there.

I wish "Spike" was the AD for SIU. He would Fire Hinson today and some of these guys leave. Would be great for clearing our path.

Isn't 3* recruit Darius Beane coming in as well? Fire Hinson and his father leaves too...Beane can come to ISUr
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball