Q: When to expect potential MVC news?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby jsaluki080 » April 21st, 2018, 5:36 am

When can we expect to hear something (if we are to hear anything at all) about potential MVC expansion news?
Didn’t Valpo get the invite towards the end of May? So I’m guessing it’d be about the same time, right? But was it like at least semi well know they’d be getting the invite beforehand?
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Q: When to expect potential MVC news?

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 21st, 2018, 8:44 am

jsaluki080 wrote:When can we expect to hear something (if we are to hear anything at all) about potential MVC expansion news?
Didn’t Valpo get the invite towards the end of May? So I’m guessing it’d be about the same time, right? But was it like at least semi well know they’d be getting the invite beforehand?

It's so quiet that either nothing is being done or they are being super secretive. I think it's the former. They won't come out and say there will be no expansion.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » April 22nd, 2018, 12:31 pm

Elgin doesn't need to say there will be no expansion. He's previously said it so many times that there's no reason for him to say it again. He's had 2 great opportunities to expand and did not. There is nothing to make any MVC fans think anything has changed at the Valley office.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 22nd, 2018, 11:13 pm

Aargh wrote:Elgin doesn't need to say there will be no expansion. He's previously said it so many times that there's no reason for him to say it again. He's had 2 great opportunities to expand and did not. There is nothing to make any MVC fans think anything has changed at the Valley office.

I have been critical of Elgin for his reluctance to embrace expansion by at least admitting Murray State, and as big a proponent of expansion as you will find on this board; but the reality is that he's kind of between a rock and a hard place vis a vis expansion. Three of the top four frequently mentioned adds (Belmont Dayton and SLU) don't want in. The university presidents would never go for BYU or NMSU (furthermore we don't solve the Aggies football issue) GCU is way too far away and unproven NKU is unproven Wright State may not yet be on sufficiently solid financial footing and might be considered an unnecessary eastward shift without NKU especially while Dayton remains even a remote possibility. UIC and UWM aren't good enough and aren't worth the gamble until they show more consistent and stronger leadership. Furthermore UIC may not get in because they'd be redundant with Loyola already in the fold. NDSU is too football centric SDSU doesn't want to leave the Dakotas. USD doesn't have a strong enough record of success. Omaha isn't ready for a host of reasons and the same goes for Oral Roberts. Given that simply taking Murray State and leaving it at that isn't an option, what team should Elgin add to get to 12 knowing that this decision could very well determine whether the MVC has any hope whatsoever of being a multibid league in the future?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » April 23rd, 2018, 12:18 am

Dayton has never been a remote possibility. They’re an impossibility.

Big difference between them and Saint Louis. One is possible (1%), one is not (0.0%).
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 23rd, 2018, 5:19 am

IWokeUpLikeThis wrote:Dayton has never been a remote possibility. They’re an impossibility.

Big difference between them and Saint Louis. One is possible (1%), one is not (0.0%).

You never know hoe conference realignment will go. I'd give them at least a 1% chance because the A-10 could get raided after the AAC and if the Big East stays put that leaves an opening for the MVC to swoop in on the leftovers. Who would want to join the AAC after 2-4 of Houston, Cincinnati, UConn, and Memphis are gone?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 23rd, 2018, 9:54 pm

One scenario I could see that makes Dayton consider the MVC:

1. The MVC finishes ahead of the A10 again
2. The MVC garners multiple bids to the NCAA Tournament
3. UCONN leaves the AAC for the Big East and is replaced by VCU
4. The AAC and Big East choose not to expand beyond VCU and UCONN
5. Cincinnati blocks any hope of Dayton entering the AAC
6. The A10 replaces VCU with Charleston or Northeastern

While Charleston and Northeastern are solid programs the loss of VCU is a huge hit to the prestige of the conference and necessitates a further increase in travel costs for the conference's midwestern outliers which they may not tolerate especially if the MVC proves itself to be a comparable or better league.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniguy » April 24th, 2018, 10:04 am

Still think going to 11 for the time being would be the best move. Wait for a 12th team to emerge either by something falling into our laps via circumstance or by a program currently on the list improving and becoming an easy add.

By going to 11 we become stronger as a league with Murray, and are easily able to react when circumstances allow us to make another add without committing to an unknown. I am thinking of a situation like when UAB dropped football and was looking for a home for its other programs (before bringing football back). Or if another conference shift leaves a program like St. Louis looking for a new home or something.

Or you could have a program like Wright State or NKU emerge as a top mid-major program by making a couple tourney runs and we could swoop in and nab them at that time. What if a Horizon or Summit League team makes a Loyola-esque run to the Final Four and then follows that up with a couple more NCAA seasons winning a couple games and establishes themselves? That is the kind of team we want to add.

Just my two cents.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby outpost » April 24th, 2018, 10:47 am

Aargh wrote:Elgin doesn't need to say there will be no expansion. He's previously said it so many times that there's no reason for him to say it again. He's had 2 great opportunities to expand and did not. There is nothing to make any MVC fans think anything has changed at the Valley office.

I think one of the best changes the conference could make is at the commissioner position. I'm not saying fire Elgin, only that he should be encouraged to look in the mirror and ask himself honestly if he has taken the conference as far as it could go under his leadership. If the answer is yes, then he should step down and let someone with new ideas step into the role. If the answer is no, then the conference should see him follow through with some new ideas of his own.
outpost
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby valleydays » April 24th, 2018, 7:29 pm

uniguy wrote:Still think going to 11 for the time being would be the best move. Wait for a 12th team to emerge either by something falling into our laps via circumstance or by a program currently on the list improving and becoming an easy add.

By going to 11 we become stronger as a league with Murray, and are easily able to react when circumstances allow us to make another add without committing to an unknown. I am thinking of a situation like when UAB dropped football and was looking for a home for its other programs (before bringing football back). Or if another conference shift leaves a program like St. Louis looking for a new home or something.

Or you could have a program like Wright State or NKU emerge as a top mid-major program by making a couple tourney runs and we could swoop in and nab them at that time. What if a Horizon or Summit League team makes a Loyola-esque run to the Final Four and then follows that up with a couple more NCAA seasons winning a couple games and establishes themselves? That is the kind of team we want to add.

Just my two cents.

Agree. I'm just not buying the argument that 11 is unworkable because of a volleyball travel partner. If the Valley wanted Murray State, they should invite them NOW. This also tells me that Murray is not "No. 11" but No. 12. Anyone believe that if Saint Louis suddenly wanted in and Murray decided to stay in the OVC that the MVC would make the Billikens wait for a No. 12?

If it's Elgin, then the presidents could overrule him, could they not? Since they don't seem to be inclined to do so, then it's either lack of foresight or greed, i.e. not wanting to divide the NCAA pie any further. I'd say it's likely a little of both.
valleydays
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball