Milwaukee

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Milwaukee

Postby Chuck_A » April 26th, 2018, 12:59 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:That all sounds accurate. Now look where it's gotten her. I hope she's pleased with these results. By the looks of it she'd be the only one. It's a real shame too. Milwaukee under good leadership would be a no-brainer for the MVC. Same with UIC for that matter.

You obviously haven't been up on UIC lately and that's understandable. We are not Milwaukee! UIC has good leadership in place now in Chancellor Michael Amiridis and AD Garrett Klassy. All of our teams have been on the rise: Men's Soccer are two-time defending HL Tourney champs. Baseball went to NCAA Regionals last season and are playing over .500 this season. Women's Soccer has improved in each year of their early existence. Women's Tennis just won the HL regular season title. AD Klassy didn't hesitate in his first move in replacing the UIC Women's Hoops coach and hiring a new one. The Men's Basketball team just finished second in the College Insider.com Tourney. Yeah I know it's not the NCAA or the NIT, but it's a Tourney nonetheless for players to continue playing and shoot for a championship. ANY championship is a good championship. The Men's team should be even better next season as we lose 3 players, but only 2 of any real significance and even Dikembe Dixson wasn't the same person he was in his freshman season. The Flames are and will be fine. Don't compare us to Milwaukee. UIC is still a no-brainer for the Valley, but the Valley is a bit leery...almost like the OVC was to Northern Kentucky.

1. UIC has facilities comparable to Valley teams. Even better than some. Construction of a new Basketball Arena, Soccer Stadium and Softball Stadium will begin in the near future.
2. UIC has academics that are second to none and is a Research I University.
3. UIC would be the largest school in the Valley located in the epicenter of many Valley alumni.
4. Doubling down in Chicago with Loyola could eventually spell doom for Arch Madness with all the eateries, tourist sites and huge fan bases located in the Chi. The MVC Presidents in all likelihood don't want that to happen. Just my humble opinion.
Chuck_A
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 26th, 2018, 1:06 pm

When’s UIC’s new arena going up? Any details in general?

UIC is academically a school the presidents would vote for.
UIC is in a market the presidents would vote for.
Hoops (the only sport that matters) improved markedly in-season under McClain.

My holdup on them is the Pavilion is one of my least favorite venues to visit. I’ll spare my experience there last year. But if it’s getting demo’d (and McClain continues to stabilize the program), UIC is right with NKU/Wright St for #12.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Chuck_A » April 26th, 2018, 1:15 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:When’s UIC’s new arena going up? Any details in general?

UIC is academically a school the presidents would vote for.
UIC is in a market the presidents would vote for.
Hoops (the only sport that matters) improved markedly in-season under McClain.

My holdup on them is the Pavilion is one of my least favorite venues to visit. I’ll spare my experience there last year. But if it’s getting demo’d (and McClain continues to stabilize the program), UIC is right with NKU/Wright St for #12.

They haven't specified a date for the basketball arena's construction, but it would be built on the northeast corner of Halsted St. and Roosevelt Road, right across the street from the UIC Forum and just off the expressway.
Chuck_A
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby IllinoisState » April 26th, 2018, 2:47 pm

IWokeUpLikeThis wrote:Belmont carries a lot of risk. Once Byrd retires in 5 years, what’s stopping Belmont and Lipscomb from trading places?

What are the odds the arrow isn’t pointing down for Belmont the minute Byrd hangs it up?

Belmont might fall and Lipscomb might rise, but I don't see either happening enough for Lipscomb to be better than Belmont.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bcg » April 26th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Chuck_A wrote:You obviously haven't been up on UIC lately and that's understandable. We are not Milwaukee! UIC has good leadership in place now in Chancellor Michael Amiridis and AD Garrett Klassy. All of our teams have been on the rise: Men's Soccer are two-time defending HL Tourney champs. Baseball went to NCAA Regionals last season and are playing over .500 this season. Women's Soccer has improved in each year of their early existence. Women's Tennis just won the HL regular season title. AD Klassy didn't hesitate in his first move in replacing the UIC Women's Hoops coach and hiring a new one. The Men's Basketball team just finished second in the College Insider.com Tourney. Yeah I know it's not the NCAA or the NIT, but it's a Tourney nonetheless for players to continue playing and shoot for a championship. ANY championship is a good championship. The Men's team should be even better next season as we lose 3 players, but only 2 of any real significance and even Dikembe Dixson wasn't the same person he was in his freshman season. The Flames are and will be fine. Don't compare us to Milwaukee. UIC is still a no-brainer for the Valley, but the Valley is a bit leery...almost like the OVC was to Northern Kentucky.

1. UIC has facilities comparable to Valley teams. Even better than some. Construction of a new Basketball Arena, Soccer Stadium and Softball Stadium will begin in the near future.
2. UIC has academics that are second to none and is a Research I University.
3. UIC would be the largest school in the Valley located in the epicenter of many Valley alumni.
4. Doubling down in Chicago with Loyola could eventually spell doom for Arch Madness with all the eateries, tourist sites and huge fan bases located in the Chi. The MVC Presidents in all likelihood don't want that to happen. Just my humble opinion.

Years back when Bradley played at UIC, I initially got denied tickets to the game. They pulled some bush league stunt and wouldn't sell tickets to Peoria zip codes over the internet or phone. It was a pain in the ass to get tickets.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » April 26th, 2018, 5:30 pm

I mean UIC might be fine, but it would be redundant adding a Chicago team and even weaken Loyola to give the Flames a hand up. Plus their budget is controlled by UIUC trustees. Former chancellor David Broski was fired because he was pulling freshmen from UIUC. If you were to see a Porter Moser type run at UIC, it's highly unlikely a huge contract extension is approved by UIUC people who don't want the competition.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby third rail » May 4th, 2018, 2:05 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Doesn't Murray State unlike Belmont have a tournament win during that span? How many appearances has each team made since they both were together in the OVC?

Wins for MSU in 2010 and 2012. One each.

So what did happen at Milwaukee?
third rail
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball