SIU AD Tommy Bell Let Go--Jerry Kill Takes Over

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU AD Tommy Bell Let Go--Jerry Kill Takes Over

Postby BEARZ77 » April 29th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Spike wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:The coach avenges his boss after the stunt pulled last month to handcuff recruiting.

...Barry Hinson does that himself. He is literally one of the worst recruiters in college basketball, especially at the mid major level.

You just disqualify yourself as having any validity by being so extreme is your statements.No one would refute the fact that BH is mediocre in many facets of coaching, but he routinely fields a competitve team with reasonable talent.Given there are over 300 D-1 teams and the majority are mid to low major , his record alone makes you look silly in your above statement.

SIU has been 2nd,3rd,3rd, in the last 3 years in one of the better MM conferences. How does that happen if you're one of the worst recruiters in college basketball and as you've indicated, a bad coach as well. Again I'm very aware of Barry's strengths and weaknesses as a coach after watching him for 9 years up close and then another decade since, but when you overly state a situation to try to make your point, you just lose credibility. Barry is an average to slightly above college basketball coach; his record proves it , and it's why he is such a polarizing individual.
Last edited by BEARZ77 on April 29th, 2018, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby underdawg » April 29th, 2018, 3:57 pm

He's a troll--Extreme? That's what they do

I think someone in the MVC would want Bol, Pippen, Lloyd, Fletcher, Bartley and probably three star frosh recruit Beane
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Spike » April 29th, 2018, 4:49 pm

underdawg wrote:He's a troll--Extreme? That's what they do

I think someone in the MVC would want Bol, Pippen, Lloyd, Fletcher, Bartley and probably three star frosh recruit Beane

He didn't recruit Beane. Lloyd, Bol, and Pippen are all here for the same reason...academic questions leading to lack of offers. Bartley is not very good, he averaged 6 pts and 3 assists as a redshirt junior. Fletcher is a decent player but nothing to write home about and like every other player on the team, only had a few low major offers
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Spike » April 29th, 2018, 4:52 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Spike wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:The coach avenges his boss after the stunt pulled last month to handcuff recruiting.

...Barry Hinson does that himself. He is literally one of the worst recruiters in college basketball, especially at the mid major level.

You just disqualify yourself as having any validity by being so extreme is your statements.No one would refute the fact that BH is mediocre in many facets of coaching, but he routinely fields a competitve team with reasonable talent.Given there are over 300 D-1 teams and the majority are mid to low major , his record alone makes you look silly in your above statement.

SIU has been 2nd,3rd,3rd, in the last 3 years in one of the better MM conferences. How does that happen if you're one of the worst recruiters in college basketball and as you've indicated, a bad coach as well. Again I'm very aware of Barry's strengths and weaknesses as a coach after watching him for 9 years up close and then another decade since, but when you overly state a situation to try to make your point, you just lose credibility. Barry is an average to slightly above college basketball coach; his record proves it , and it's why he is such a polarizing individual.

SIU was in the bottom half of the conference in every statistical category last season. Finishing 2nd was a smokescreen caused by the conference being really bad outside of Loyola, who blew SIU out twice.

The season before, SIU went 2-6 against the other top 5 teams and got blown out in 4 of those 6 losses.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Fraydog » April 29th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Hinson is a better coach than recruiter TBH. None of the current or former players or recruits not named “Beane” were great recruits. This comes down to the question of “is close good enough at SIU”. There were some donors who obviously answered “no” otherwise a buyout wouldn’t have been authorized by the Chancellor there only to be derailed by same said Chancellor.

Believe it or not, SIU has bigger issues than Barry Hinson. Today, if you had to give me the option of either firing Hinson or Montemagno, I’d want Montemagno fired. He is damaging the entire institution beyond just athletics.
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby underdawg » April 29th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Let me ask you a question---I know you hate Hinson. But seriously--If you don't think Cook, Bartley, Bol, Pippen, Fletcher, and (for God sakes) Sean Lloyd are good players I cannot even hold a discussion with you. They were so bad that they were all honored at the end of the season (either 2018 or Bol at end of 2017) and beginning of 2018 before he got hurt. You're also sleeping on Eric McGill my friend

As far as a buyout of Hinson--I too, after talking to some people, believe that Bell had an Idea he could go off on his own and do that. It didn't work-- by making it public, it gave any recruiting a black eye and it's a wonder, and a relief that roster players are still here after reading about it.

Look, if Tommy Bell wanted to replace Hinson--say next year after a bad OR good season--- he should have laid the scenario of what would happen if the Dawgs didn't make the Tournament---lay them out in Private NOT plaster it over every website in the US--the effect would have been the same (Hinson here or not here in 2019-20)
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Spike » April 29th, 2018, 7:32 pm

underdawg wrote:Let me ask you a question---I know you hate Hinson. But seriously--If you don't think Cook, Bartley, Bol, Pippen, Fletcher, and (for God sakes) Sean Lloyd are good players I cannot even hold a discussion with you. They were so bad that they were all honored at the end of the season (either 2018 or Bol at end of 2017) and beginning of 2018 before he got hurt. You're also sleeping on Eric McGill my friend

As far as a buyout of Hinson--I too, after talking to some people, believe that Bell had an Idea he could go off on his own and do that. It didn't work-- by making it public, it gave any recruiting a black eye and it's a wonder, and a relief that roster players are still here after reading about it.

Look, if Tommy Bell wanted to replace Hinson--say next year after a bad OR good season--- he should have laid the scenario of what would happen if the Dawgs didn't make the Tournament---lay them out in Private NOT plaster it over every website in the US--the effect would have been the same (Hinson here or not here in 2019-20)

They aren't spectacular. Pretty average mid major recruits. Again. SIU was at the bottom of the conference in every statistical category. And I really dont understand your obsession with Bartley. He struggled to see the court on two really really bad SLU teams and was mediocre as a redshirt junior at SIU.

Lloyd, Bol, and Pippen were all questions to qualify who had lost any interest they had from other programs.

Armon Fletchers only other offer was from SIUe. Aaron Cooks other offers were from schools like Jacksonville State.

"Sleeping on Eric McGill"...,really? I am sure he is a nice kid, but his only two offers were from SEMO out of high school and SIU out of a JUCO.

Hinson recruiting can be boiled down to only go after players whose only offers are from low majors, only go after players with no other offers, JUCOs in springtime who might not qualify, or hope a coach has a kid good enough to play.

It's why in 6 years at SIU, the Salukis have empty 20 win seasons built on awful OOC schedules and the bottom half of the conference but are incapable of competing against any decent team they play or the upper half of the conference.

SIU finished 2nd. Yes. But statistically they looked like a Thursday night team. And the teams below them in the conference are much better at recruiting and bringing in talent while SIU brings back a roster that finished in the bottom half statistically of every category in the conference and the only recruit worth mentioned is a coaches kid who Hinson had no part in recruiting and might not qualify.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 29th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Why can't I shake the notion that Barry winning this power struggle and a former football coach becoming AD is bad news for the SIU program and for the MVC as a whole?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fraydog » April 29th, 2018, 11:06 pm

If anyone was acting as if Bell was on his own - he never was. No athletic director was going to act like this on their own, and even if they did, it would be like John Currie at Tennessee, where he was fired pretty much immediately for insubordination. It’s essentially Bell’s word vs. Montemagno’s. Given Montemagno’s lack of credibility to disclose his family hiring, his lab arrangement in Alberta and moving costs, and completely untransparent process in his restructuring of SIU academics, I’m going to believe Bell over Montemagno.

There’s a reason virtually all of academics at SIU is angry. If Montemagno keeps up, we will be below 10,000 enrollment as a complete laughingstock in Illinois and abroad.

I believe SIU needs new leadership beyond the AD chair. That leadership can determine what to do with Hucky come the end of the next season. It’s a matter of priority, underdawg. You want to protect Hinson. Fine. I want to protect SIU as a whole from a clown Chancellor. Montemagno has done far worse than saying “win or pack your Mayflower van up” in a newsletter aimed at donors. Like I’ve said, it’s a matter of priorities.
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby underdawg » April 30th, 2018, 6:35 am

Since you didn't address why you dissed all the players I mentioned, I guess you agree with Spike's analysis--a bad place to be. i might agree with you on the administrative analysis but not on the players ability
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball