SIU AD Tommy Bell Let Go--Jerry Kill Takes Over

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU AD Tommy Bell Let Go--Jerry Kill Takes Over

Postby BEARZ77 » April 30th, 2018, 6:57 am

Spike wrote:SIU finished 2nd. Yes. But statistically they looked like a Thursday night team. And the teams below them in the conference are much better at recruiting and bringing in talent while SIU brings back a roster that finished in the bottom half statistically of every category in the conference and the only recruit worth mentioned is a coaches kid who Hinson had no part in recruiting and might not qualify.

I'm far from a BH appologist as I was more than ready for his departure from MSU because of many of the same issues now happening with SIU. But I just think if you want to be taken seriously, you have to be factual and fair in what you say. If your point was BH is a very mediocre/average coach who historically will have you competitive in the upper half of the league most years, but won't win titles or big games. That's true. If you said your program will get stuck in that mire of mediocrity, that's true. If you said he will tend to undersell to keep expectations lower, so in the end he looks good, that's true.I think you would get little argument begging for change based on those statements.

But bottom half in "every statistical category" .......... What about 2nd in FG%, 1st in stls, 4th in assists, 2nd in turnover margin. One of the most important statistical correlators to winning basketball is turnover margin and couple that with a good shooting team and guess what, you usually win games. Also you argue how all the teams below him have actually out recruited him and have better rosters returning; that's just an asinine untrue statement. I think you want to make your case so badly that instead of just sticking to actual supportive data of which you would have plenty, you're so over the top as to lose credibility.Again believe me, I understand wanting BH gone; he is what he is, an average D-1 HC who gets average to slightly better results . And i understand that's far below the expectations of most programs and especially one with SIU's history, but on the flip side, is also probably better than most MM and LM programs end up being.The HC field is full of BH's and always will be; actually every field of endeavor is. He's just a little more entertaining and polorizing example.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Spike » April 30th, 2018, 9:20 am

I said "most". 7th in PPG. 7th in PPG allowed. 8th in opponent FG%. 5th in 3pt %. 6th in opponent 3pt%. 9th in FT %. 9th in rebounding(6th in offensive rebounding, last in defensive rebounding). 8th in rebounding margin. 8th in opponents rebounding. Last in TO margin. 7th in ast/to ratio. You literally picked the only 4 stars they weren't in the bottom half of the conference for.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BEARZ77 » April 30th, 2018, 10:13 am

Spike wrote:I said "most". 7th in PPG. 7th in PPG allowed. 8th in opponent FG%. 5th in 3pt %. 6th in opponent 3pt%. 9th in FT %. 9th in rebounding(6th in offensive rebounding, last in defensive rebounding). 8th in rebounding margin. 8th in opponents rebounding. Last in TO margin. 7th in ast/to ratio. You literally picked the only 4 stars they weren't in the bottom half of the conference for.

You said "EVERY" in two different posts, so now you're lying, and even in this rebuttal you're just flat wrong on your stats. You state above they are last in turnover margin when in fact they led the league. But hey it's your team, your coach, believe what you want.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fraydog » April 30th, 2018, 11:02 am

UD, I think we should be listening to what the folks in Springpatch are saying here. They are correct in their analysis. The main reason Hucky has never been in the NCAA’s is not putting enough players around the A players he has coached, Blake Ahern and Anthony Beane. That’s recruiting. He has been able to coach players up, he just hasn’t put the talent level around him to get to the promised land. In a lot of cases, he has got tantalizingly close, more so at MSU than SIU, but he has in a lot of cases been one good recruit away.

Spike isn’t wrong, perhaps he’s extreme in how he is saying things, but his analysis isn’t that different than what MSU fans are tossing out. The differences between him and BEARZ are fairly minor IMO.
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball