Echenique

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Echenique

Postby LJay » August 29th, 2010, 1:57 pm

nm
Last edited by LJay on August 29th, 2010, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby OkoboJay » August 29th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Echenique visited Creighton during his junior year at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark and has a strong relationship with Creighton head coach Dana Altman.

During his tenure as head coach at Kansas State, Altman coached Askia Jones, who later played professionally in Venezuela with Jose Echenique, Gregory's father. Led by Jones, the 1994 Kansas State team upset No. 1 Kansas and later advanced to the NIT Final Four at Madison Square Garden.

"The family felt very comfortable with Altman," the source said. "Dana came on high recommendation from Jose Echenique's former teammates down in Venezuela."

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100113&content_id=7911754&vkey=21
OkoboJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WSUbballer » August 29th, 2010, 3:00 pm

I'm not trying to insinuate anything either.. however anytime hype starts pumping into certain players, my mind begins to wander.

I'm sure GE will be a great addition to the Creighton program, as they finally have their big man along with Lawson. However, without much of anybody else, teams will simply double-team him and likely play a lot of zone and the Bluejays may be reeling. I know I had Creighton in my No.2 spot in the predictions thread, but I'm starting to doubt myself, especially with McDermott in charge.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » August 29th, 2010, 3:29 pm

OkoboJay wrote:Echenique visited Creighton during his junior year at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark and has a strong relationship with Creighton head coach Dana Altman.

During his tenure as head coach at Kansas State, Altman coached Askia Jones, who later played professionally in Venezuela with Jose Echenique, Gregory's father. Led by Jones, the 1994 Kansas State team upset No. 1 Kansas and later advanced to the NIT Final Four at Madison Square Garden.

"The family felt very comfortable with Altman," the source said. "Dana came on high recommendation from Jose Echenique's former teammates down in Venezuela."

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100113&content_id=7911754&vkey=21

Thanks for the info. Guess we'll just see how it plays out. I'm sure he'll be a very good big man and one that Creighton fans have wanted for a few years now. Wonder how he'll adjust to the stall ball that Chewy likes to use. It'll be interesting to see how it all develops in Omaha.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LJay » August 29th, 2010, 4:19 pm

WSUbballer wrote:I'm not trying to insinuate anything either.. however anytime hype starts pumping into certain players, my mind begins to wander.

I'm sure GE will be a great addition to the Creighton program, as they finally have their big man along with Lawson. However, without much of anybody else, teams will simply double-team him and likely play a lot of zone and the Bluejays may be reeling. I know I had Creighton in my No.2 spot in the predictions thread, but I'm starting to doubt myself, especially with McDermott in charge.

Who knows but CU finished 4th at 10-8 last year and trades Justin Carter and Cavel Witter (Chad Millard doesn't count) for Echineque and three freshmen who all showed pretty good abilities in summer league.

Witter stunk on ice last year (last two years actually) so I'll take the three freshmen against him and say CU at least broke even. Thus, it's down to Carter versus Echineque. Carter was a fine player and will be tough to replace but his knee injury made his senior season less than he and his fans hoped. Will Echineque play at a high level? We'll find out in a few months. However, a kid who averaged 8.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg and 2.5 bpg as a frosh in the Big East where he went up against similar size gives Jay fans hope.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jayball » August 30th, 2010, 11:20 am

Red wrote:If he's as good as advertised, he will be a great addition to the MVC. Is there any concern that he won't stay all 4 (actually 5 considering his redshirt) years. With foreign guys, it seems there is always a risk.

We've only got him for 2.5 years. He played a season and a half at Rutgers.

I'm pretty sure than means we will have 1.5 national titles very soon.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby hot nuts » August 30th, 2010, 11:26 am

jayball wrote:
We've only got him for 2.5 years. He played a season and a half at Rutgers.

I'm pretty sure than means we will have 1.5 national titles very soon.

Haha!
Last edited by DUBulldog on August 30th, 2010, 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fix broken quote
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snapshot9 » September 7th, 2010, 11:11 am

If I remember right, isn't he on the 'skinny' side?
Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WuDrWu » September 7th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Snapshot9 wrote:If I remember right, isn't he on the 'skinny' side?

You're trying to be funny, right 'Snap?

No, the kid is not skinny. Far from it. He is a big time hoss.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » September 7th, 2010, 12:39 pm

I still don't know how to spell his name. I don't know the proper pronunciation, either.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball