OT: BYU football to become independent? WAC in hoops?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: OT: BYU football to become independent? WAC in hoops?

Postby unipanther99 » September 1st, 2010, 10:02 am

Didn't the NCAA put a moritorium on schools moving from FCS to FBS? Or has that expired?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdmanBB » September 1st, 2010, 11:38 am

unipanther99 wrote:Didn't the NCAA put a moritorium on schools moving from FCS to FBS? Or has that expired?

I think they will make an exception.

If I am Utah St., I am doing everything I can to try and get into the MWC. I guess they were the first ones approached by the MWC to which they declined because they didn't think they could get out. The MWC then went after Fresno and Nevada. However, it would still make sense for the MWC to take on Utah St. for the tv market in Utah that will be lost once the Utes go to the Pac 10.

If this were to happen then the WAC will be completely sunk. That would then free up Louisiana Tech to join the CUSA. I am sure Hawaii would land on its feet somewhere as well as New Mexico St. San Jose St. would probably drop football to 1AA and join somewhere else. Not sure what Idaho would do.

This WAC commissioner is just making empty threats because he is trying to stay employed.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » September 1st, 2010, 12:57 pm

I read yesterday that the entire WCC conference has an enrollment of around 54K, while BYU has an enrollment of 34K.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » September 1st, 2010, 1:48 pm

unipanther99 wrote:Didn't the NCAA put a moritorium on schools moving from FCS to FBS? Or has that expired?

Teams can and always could move from 1-AA to 1-A by joining a 1-A conference. However, 1-AA conferences can no longer move up to 1-A and an individual team cannot move up to 1-A as an independent. Therefore, BYU, as a 1-A independent, creates a hole in in the MWC which a 1-AA team will eventually fill. Who fills the spot and how is anyone's guess.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » September 1st, 2010, 1:53 pm

Thanks! That makes sense. Or at least as much sense as anything the NCAA does.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby cpacmel » September 1st, 2010, 3:03 pm

To answer your question about the moratorium:

Q. When does the moratorium become effective?

A. The moratorium is effective August 9, 2007.

Q. What is the scheduled duration of the moratorium?

A. The moratorium is imposed for a four-year period and is scheduled to expire August 9, 2011, prior to the beginning of the 2011-2012 academic year.

http://www.ncaa.biz/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/About%20The%20NCAA/Membership/Membership%20Requirements%20and%20Waivers/Division%20I/DIMoratoriumFAQ
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » September 2nd, 2010, 8:52 am

Two of the proposals floating around among the ADs of DI that I've heard are:

-Creation of 4 levels of DI
-No institution may reclassify unless they have a new conference home at the higher level secured
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » September 2nd, 2010, 9:16 am

squirrel wrote:Two of the proposals floating around among the ADs of DI that I've heard are:

-Creation of 4 levels of DI
-No institution may reclassify unless they have a new conference home at the higher level secured

I think this is primarily for football.

I would guess that the 4 levels would actually formally split the two current levels:

FBS would split between the 6 BcS conferences and remaining.
FCS would split between scholarship and non-scholarship.

Not sure how the non-football playing members would be classified. I don't see them messing with basketball, though the conference 'home' requirement might prevent the NJIT's and others from moving up as independents only.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball