OT: BYU football to become independent? WAC in hoops?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: OT: BYU football to become independent? WAC in hoops?

Postby squirrel » August 19th, 2010, 7:48 am

I do not think BYU would join a league like the Valley where they would feel obligated to remain long-term.

This is all positioning, IMO, to be the instigator for a new entity out West.

I suggested this could be a future 12-member football league after the future dissolution of the BXII:

East
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Memphis
Texas Tech
Tulsa

West
Air Force
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
New Mexico
UNLV

My addition to the above would be Bradley and Creighton partnering with DePaul and Marquette to create a block of 4 to make that a 16-team hoops league with the following divisions:

East "Naismith" Division
Bradley
Creighton
DePaul
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Marquette
Memphis

West "Tarkanian" Division
Air Force
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
New Mexico
Texas Tech
Tulsa
UNLV
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » August 19th, 2010, 7:53 am

On a secondary note, I think the MWC-MVC Challenge can go away now. I'd rather see something similar with the A10, CUSA or CAA.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » August 19th, 2010, 8:11 am

Ali wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:When you think about it, the MVC might be a better fit than the WCC. The WWC is made up of coastal schools (except for Gonzaga). So it's not exactly a slam dunk in terms of geography. Most of the WCC members are small schools, so BYU doesn't fit.

Obviously the WAC would make the most sense, but they are going to be hurting if only 6 football schools are left, and might not be a stable option for BYU's non-football sports.

Why not go all the way and combine the leagues making the MVC-WAC a 16 member league? Or I suppose the herd could be thinned if 16 wasn't manageable.

Not sure if it's even a possibility, but would you want Elgin to make a call to BYU? I don't think it could hurt personally. Adding a team with their own network would mean more TV games for the Valley and cretainly increased exposure. If you could add SLU as well, you'd add two large markets that are both easily accessible for teams and fans.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Little Eddie » August 19th, 2010, 10:54 am

I would not consider BYU easily accessible to E-ville, ISU and the teams in Illinois, Missou and Iowa...maybe slightly accessible to CU and WSU but not much else...and you're definitely flying as driving would be way too long.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » August 19th, 2010, 11:14 am

Little Eddie wrote:I would not consider BYU easily accessible to E-ville, ISU and the teams in Illinois, Missou and Iowa...maybe slightly accessible to CU and WSU but not much else...and you're definitely flying as driving would be way too long.

Well, everyone would be flying for men's basketball. Each school probably only has one or two conference schools they regularly drive to anyway. As for the other sports, flying commercially would be an option.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Little Eddie » August 19th, 2010, 11:26 am

I'm thinking as a fan, not a player...you guys w/ the big bucks may be able to afford going to SLC via plane but I sure can't. I suppose some that had the $$ could make this a nice little hoops/ski package though...scoot on down to Park City, Alta or wherever before or after the game you're in town for...
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » August 19th, 2010, 11:38 am

Little Eddie wrote:I'm thinking as a fan, not a player...you guys w/ the big bucks may be able to afford going to SLC via plane but I sure can't. I suppose some that had the $$ could make this a nice little hoops/ski package though...scoot on down to Park City, Alta or wherever before or after the game you're in town for...

I don't think the MVC should make expansion decisions based on how easy it is for the handful of parents and visiting fans who want to travel to the away games and sit in the comp seats. But that's just my opinion. ;)
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby pantherrob82 » August 19th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Have any of you been to BYU?

I think this is a great idea for the school. Being an independent in football with your own network is a great idea. If you look at their non-conf scheduling as of late, this will be a great move for them.
pantherrob82
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby valleychamp » August 19th, 2010, 2:00 pm

What does anyone having been to BYU have to do with the situation?...

It is not a good idea for the school because they think that their football program is a hot commodity, when in reality it is not. And they are sacrificing the rest of their entire athletic program to an inferior conference to do this.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » August 19th, 2010, 3:57 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
Little Eddie wrote:I would not consider BYU easily accessible to E-ville, ISU and the teams in Illinois, Missou and Iowa...maybe slightly accessible to CU and WSU but not much else...and you're definitely flying as driving would be way too long.

Well, everyone would be flying for men's basketball. Each school probably only has one or two conference schools they regularly drive to anyway. As for the other sports, flying commercially would be an option.

Evansville flew commercially for years after the crash at EVV. Never was it any convience to it. If parents and comp tickets holders wanted to fly it is not,in today flying schedule comfortable.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball