OT: BYU football to become independent? WAC in hoops?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » August 18th, 2010, 6:28 am

An interesting development as BYU is considering a play to become the "Notre Dame of the West", becoming an independent in college football. They would leave the MWC for all other sports and rejoin the WAC. The school owns its own TV network, so I suppose it could happen.

Full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5472642
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: OT: BYU football to become independent? WAC in hoops?

Postby valleychamp » August 18th, 2010, 2:03 pm

They think they are more important than they actually are.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Little Eddie » August 18th, 2010, 2:04 pm

There in lies the reason we used to cheer "eff you BYU...eff you BYU"...when the Cougars came to play Wyoming. I wonder if I can get away w/ that being a moderator... 8-)
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WuDrWu » August 18th, 2010, 2:12 pm

valleychamp wrote:They think they are more important than they actually are.

Yes, but then again, who doesn't? Aren't we all a little guilty in that regard? Theirs (and ND for example) is just exemplified.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MVCfans » August 18th, 2010, 8:05 pm

In quick retaliation for BYU leaving the Mountain West for the WAC (in all sports except football), the MWC is now raiding the WAC for Nevada and Fresno State. I kind of like the moxy displayed by the MWC after losing Utah and BYU.

I don't imagine any of this could possibly trickle down the Missouri Valley because of the lack of D1 football (or whatever they call it these days), but I have to wonder if there could be more realignment in the next few years. If the Big XII ever broke apart or if the Big East collapsed, it would be interesting to see what Elgin would do. I'm not totally opposed to trying to expand to 12 right now with SLU and another similar program, but I don't see it happening for a while.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » August 18th, 2010, 8:43 pm

WuDrWu wrote:
valleychamp wrote:They think they are more important than they actually are.

Yes, but then again, who doesn't? Aren't we all a little guilty in that regard? Theirs (and ND for example) is just exemplified.

Yeah, we all are a 'little' bit. Not enough to do the dumb things that BYU is about to do. They will fall flat on their face if they go through with this. Nothing about this move makes sense.

The fact that they think they are notre dame is laughable.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » August 18th, 2010, 8:48 pm

MVCfans wrote:In quick retaliation for BYU leaving the Mountain West for the WAC (in all sports except football), the MWC is now raiding the WAC for Nevada and Fresno State. I kind of like the moxy displayed by the MWC after losing Utah and BYU.

I don't imagine any of this could possibly trickle down the Missouri Valley because of the lack of D1 football (or whatever they call it these days), but I have to wonder if there could be more realignment in the next few years. If the Big XII ever broke apart or if the Big East collapsed, it would be interesting to see what Elgin would do. I'm not totally opposed to trying to expand to 12 right now with SLU and another similar program, but I don't see it happening for a while.

The Big XII already broke apart and is finished, they just don't know it yet. Missouri is chomping at the bit to leave, as of now they would even go the SEC route. All the while aTm is resentful about being tied at the hip (against their will) to Texas. Nevermind the fact that Kansas, with their renowned basketball program, was relegated to the same level as Iowa State, Kansas State and Baylor. A lot of school presidents and AD's are angry and resentful, they are just biding their time. Whenever you pit the haves against the have nots, there will be a revolt. The only question is, when?

With regard to the Big XII, the term dead man walking rings loud and clear.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » August 18th, 2010, 8:58 pm

So now, with Fresno St. and Nevada probably leaving the WAC, reports are BYU may be looking at another conference like the WCC to play all sports except football. I know it's a long shot and a geographic nightmare, but should Doug Elgin & Co. make a hard run at the Cougars?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MVCfans » August 18th, 2010, 8:59 pm

unipanther99 wrote:So now, with Fresno St. and Nevada probably leaving the WAC, reports are BYU may be looking at another conference like the WCC to play all sports except football. I know it's a long shot and a geographic nightmare, but should Doug Elgin & Co. make a hard run at the Cougars?

That would be great, but you are right that geography is the difficulty.

edit: the more I think about this, the more it confuses me. Does BYU have to leave the MWC for all sports if they want to be a football independent? Staying in the MWC makes the most sense and is more beneficial for basketball than either the WAC or WCC.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » August 18th, 2010, 9:04 pm

MVCfans wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:So now, with Fresno St. and Nevada probably leaving the WAC, reports are BYU may be looking at another conference like the WCC to play all sports except football. I know it's a long shot and a geographic nightmare, but should Doug Elgin & Co. make a hard run at the Cougars?

That would be great, but you are right that geography is the difficulty.

edit: the more I think about this, the more it confuses me. Does BYU have to leave the MWC for all sports if they want to be a football independent? Staying in the MWC makes the most sense and is more beneficial for basketball than either the WAC or WCC.

No way the other MWC schools let them stay if they don't play football.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball