Avoiding Thursday night fights

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby bigdawg » January 3rd, 2011, 10:47 am

I'm assuming WSU, MSU, and CU won't be playing on Thursday. If seems to me that positions 4-6 and 7-10 are going to be tight. I'd guess that Evansville, Bradley, Drake, and SIU are the leading contender to play in on Thursday, but could make an argument for Indiana St and Illinois St too.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Avoiding Thursday night fights

Postby hot nuts » January 3rd, 2011, 11:03 am

This should be an interesting race indeed. All of these teams have shown the potential to play well or poorly on a given night. Every game between these teams can be the difference maker. Think of all the allure this gives to the ISU @ ISU game tomorrow! :roll:
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » January 3rd, 2011, 11:11 am

I know they're 0-2, but I think I'd list UNI as a team that won't be playing Thursday night.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TylerDurden » January 3rd, 2011, 11:13 am

DUBulldog wrote:I know they're 0-2, but I think I'd list UNI as a team that won't be playing Thursday night.

I agree with this.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces1982 » January 3rd, 2011, 11:27 am

Few posters say UE is a lock. I would disagree but what do I know.

I would agree as everybody else all year has stated: 5-10 is a toss up. And with UNI 0-2, it could be 4-10. Although, I believe they will rebound.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » January 3rd, 2011, 12:38 pm

I think the picture will start to clear up a little after tomorrow night's games. Only the Drake @ WSU game really looks lopsided on paper. The ILST @ Indy St and SIU @ Bradley games will be the ones I'll really be paying attention to. :Yea!:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby BirdmanBB » January 3rd, 2011, 2:14 pm

I think Illinois State has one of, if not the toughest opening to the conference season. Personally I think this game against Indiana St. is a must win as they could easily start the conference season off 0-6 and even evansville at home is not a given at that point. With a young team it could have a domino effect that could kill them the rest of the season.

vs. Creighton (L)
@ Missouri St. (L)
@ Indiana St.
vs. Wichita St.
@ SIU
vs. UNI
vs. E-Ville

-Essentially right off the bat we get pinned up against 3 top valley favorites at home and one on the road to start the season in that stretch. Basically meaning that we will need to win some road games here just to keep up. Very tough go (some may call Karma for our awesome non-con scheduling)
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » January 3rd, 2011, 2:47 pm

I'll be looking at the Aces at UNI game kind of closely also. I really don't expect the Aces will win this game, but it could be closer than some people would think if the Aces play anything like they did in the last half against ISU. Of course, if they play as they did in the first half, it will be a beat down. If they can stay within 4 to 6 points of UNI, at their place, then I might think they might be able to win some road games against lesser teams. We shall see what we shall see.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » January 3rd, 2011, 2:50 pm

ACECARD wrote:I really don't expect the Aces will win this game, but it could be closer than some people would think if the Aces play anything like they did in the last half against ISU. Of course, if they play as they did in the first half, it will be a beat down.

UNI plays everyone close, win or lose... That's pretty much the way it's been for the last 3 years in the Valley. We don't blow people out, and we don't get blown out.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby UE 71 » January 3rd, 2011, 5:59 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:I think Illinois State has one of, if not the toughest opening to the conference season. Personally I think this game against Indiana St. is a must win as they could easily start the conference season off 0-6 and even evansville at home is not a given at that point. With a young team it could have a domino effect that could kill them the rest of the season.

vs. Creighton (L)
@ Missouri St. (L)
@ Indiana St.
vs. Wichita St.
@ SIU
vs. UNI
vs. Evansville

-Essentially right off the bat we get pinned up against 3 top valley favorites at home and one on the road to start the season in that stretch. Basically meaning that we will need to win some road games here just to keep up. Very tough go (some may call Karma for our awesome non-con scheduling)

I would argue that UE's first seven games are tougher based on their first three away games. These are home games for Illinois St:

@ Wichita St
vs. Indiana St
@ UNI
@ Missouri St
vs. Creighton
vs. Drake
@ Illinois St
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball