MSU @ CU (Tues Night)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

MSU @ CU (Tues Night)

Postby Kip Dynamite » January 3rd, 2011, 10:54 am

I like this matchup a lot and it should another very good game on Fox Sports Midwest.
Kip Dynamite
MVC starter
MVC starter

MSU @ CU (Tues Night)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MSU @ CU (Tues Night)

Postby bigdawg » January 3rd, 2011, 11:25 am

Getting a win is more important for CU considering that MSU had the win in Cedar Falls in their back pocket.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 3rd, 2011, 11:27 am

bigdawg wrote:Getting a win is more important for CU considering that MSU had the win in Cedar Falls in their back pocket.

I think getting a win is more important for CU because it is a home game for CU.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » January 3rd, 2011, 11:48 am

Well, if MSU is going to run away from the pack with WSU there isn't a better time to start. Would be nice to head to Wichita still undefeated. But it is going to take a perfect game to pull it off.

Lawson and GE are going to be handful inside but we have to contain Young if we are going to have a chance. Dribble drive penetration has killed all season long and led to a career high for Cousins for ISUr the last time out... Does Weems have another trick up his sleeve? Can Leonard show up in a big game?

Bears 65
Jays 72
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby jaycat17 » January 3rd, 2011, 1:08 pm

This is a big next ten days for the Jays. MSU at home on tues, then WSU at home the following Wed. If they want a shot at the top spot they will have to win these games.

It appears that MSU has struggled in there big road matchups (except @ UNI) so that gives me hope that the Jays will pull this one out. The Jays have had horrid starts recently so they can't get too far behind because the Bears won't look back.

Another observation I have made and so have a few other posters on here is the ability of the Jays to at least play good D against their opponents better players. They don't have the athletes to play lockdown D on all 5 players but they have doing their best to limit the scoring of the opp's top players, which is encouraging.

All in all it will be a dogfight, but with the recent win streak and playing at home I gotta go with my Jays!

Jays 74
Bears 70
jaycat17
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TNMSUFAN » January 3rd, 2011, 1:31 pm

Big game for both teams and should be a good one. If we can't stop Young from shooting layups we will probably get smoked. The one thing I really like about our team is we have 4-5 guys who could go off for 20 on a given night...we are tough to guard but still have a lot to prove on the road.
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 3rd, 2011, 1:41 pm

I'm not sure how we defend Weems. Although a bit undersized at the four, his athleticism could cause real problems for our starting four, Doug McDermott. Kaleb Korver has been doing a pretty good job locking up opposing scorers, but Weems is bigger and quicker. MAybe Wayne Runnels can be the answer, but that means taking McDermott's scoring off the floor.

I do feel a little better about the match-up of the big guys. Unless the refs call every flop a charge like they did in the Drake game, I like Echenique's power against Creekmore, et al. Taking the reffing into account once again, if Echenique can stay out of foul trouble, Lawson on the floor at the same time could be awfully hard for MSU to deal with.

Young versus Ricks should be a fun matchup to watch. Last year Ricks killed us in Springfield.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » January 3rd, 2011, 6:05 pm

I'd almost rather watch this game on TV than the WSU/Drake game in CKA.

Almost.

It's DVR time.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Unsmooth Moment » January 3rd, 2011, 8:28 pm

Should be a good one, it's a toss up to me, winning team wins it in the last minute.
Unsmooth Moment
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WuDrWu » January 3rd, 2011, 9:27 pm

I am really looking forward to this game. Interested to see which teams exerts their will against the other and how CU's 2 headed post monster fairs against MSU's superior athleticism as well as the match up between the best offensive PG (Young) and the best defensive PG(Ricks).
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball