Lunardi: WSU in, MSU out

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Lunardi: WSU in, MSU out

Postby SirShoxAlot » January 3rd, 2011, 4:32 pm

Haha wrote:It's the 12th rated conference with no headline teams, 3 games in st.Louis is all that really matters.

It's a one bid league people....unless one of the teams goes 16-2 or something like that and losses in the championship game. Even then I wouldn't feel to whippy about the at large chance.

That's a little ridiculous... Had WSU won the Valley Tournament championship game last year, UNI would have still been an at-large. They went 15-3 in the regular season. Now, if Wichita State wins the regular season title this year, I think we're the only team who has an at-large in the picture. If someone like MSU wins the regular season title and WSU finishes in second at, say, 14-4, we could get both teams in. A lot can happen.
SirShoxAlot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MSUDuo » January 3rd, 2011, 4:39 pm

One team has a shot at an at-large and they better win 15+ games in the Valley. Everyone else is playing for seeding and their shot in STL.

You do not have an at-large resume when you don't have a non-conference win over a team that is above .500 and I don't think UNI can go 15-1 or 16-0 to be considered...
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Haha » January 3rd, 2011, 5:16 pm

Ok so you say 15-3 and I said "16-2 or something like that". I think you just told me my statement was ridiculous then explained almost the exact same scenario I said it would take.

Point being unless a team wins big rest of year and another team wins the championship game it's a one bid league.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » January 3rd, 2011, 5:46 pm

i would not mind playing in denver, BUT tulsa would be a better drive.
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » January 3rd, 2011, 5:49 pm

oneNEIGHBOR wrote:i would not mind playing in denver, BUT tulsa would be a better drive.

I'd be more concerned with playing Michigan State....I want nothing to do with them in March.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » January 3rd, 2011, 10:15 pm

I just wanna play anyone.. anywhere.
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bearsfan11 » January 3rd, 2011, 11:56 pm

WSUbballer wrote:I just wanna play anyone.. anywhere.

:+1: That is all its about. Can't be scared.
Bearsfan11
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby SirShoxAlot » January 4th, 2011, 8:27 am

Haha wrote:Ok so you say 15-3 and I said "16-2 or something like that". I think you just told me my statement was ridiculous then explained almost the exact same scenario I said it would take.

Point being unless a team wins big rest of year and another team wins the championship game it's a one bid league.

You, sir, misread.

You said: 16-2 w/o Valley Tourney championship = don't get your hopes up

I said: Look at history. Last year's UNI (15-3, granted they did win the Valley Tourney) was a lock before St. Louis.
SirShoxAlot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Haha » January 4th, 2011, 9:01 am

SirShoxAlot wrote:
Haha wrote:Ok so you say 15-3 and I said "16-2 or something like that". I think you just told me my statement was ridiculous then explained almost the exact same scenario I said it would take.

You, sir, misread.

You said: 16-2 w/o Valley Tourney championship = don't get your hopes up

I said: Look at history. Last year's UNI (15-3, granted they did win the Valley Tourney) was a lock before St. Louis.

No, I said one bid league UNLESS 16-2 or something like that.

I then went on to say I still wouldn't feel to whippy about it. Or maybe I should have said wouldn't feel confident until the name shows up in the bracket on selection Sunday. Pardon me for not trusting selection
committee, I suppose you will be 100 percent sure WSU is in If the finish 15-3 and not win the championship game? That week of waiting u will be living high KNOWING they are in?

That is what I meant with not to whippy. Which again I clearly stated UNLESS which should indicate a different outcome other than one bid is possible.

Also you pointed to history.... Ok, for what reason? To demonstrate that it is possible given the scenario we both basically described to get another bid.

Pretty sure we were close to same page.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird Ray » January 4th, 2011, 9:08 am

While I agree that WSU will likely be higher than a #12 seed and that there is still plenty of bball to be played, Lunardi is usually pretty spot on with these things. It's disconcerting for me as a Valley fan to see how far this conference has plumeted in terms of quality over the years. At least for the last three years, our one bid was in the 4-9 range. Having our one bid be a #12 makes us no different than the MAC or the OVC.

That said, if MSU and WSU both run the table in conference and split the two match-ups between them, both will be in solid position for an at-large. WSU would have what, 27 wins and MSU would have 24 or 25? Not locks this year, but pretty favorable for at-large consideration. Even teams from complete garbage conferences have gotten in as at-large bids with 26-27 win totals (South Alabama, Siena, I want to say ORU did this once as well). And hopefully if this does play out, even a third MVC team can possibly get in as an auto. A lot of wishful thinking, but there is a lot of bball to be played as well.
Redbird Ray
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball