Lunardi: WSU in, MSU out

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Lunardi: WSU in, MSU out

Postby RoyalShock » January 4th, 2011, 9:46 am

Lunardi is only spot on the weekend of selection Sunday, along with most every other bracketologist.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bigdawg » January 4th, 2011, 9:53 am

RoyalShock wrote:Lunardi is only spot on the weekend of selection Sunday, along with most every other bracketologist.

Except for the year he had 64 out of 65 right, with Creighton being the only misstep.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 4th, 2011, 11:08 am

Redbird Ray wrote:While I agree that WSU will likely be higher than a #12 seed and that there is still plenty of bball to be played, Lunardi is usually pretty spot on with these things. It's disconcerting for me as a Valley fan to see how far this conference has plumeted in terms of quality over the years. At least for the last three years, our one bid was in the 4-9 range. Having our one bid be a #12 makes us no different than the MAC or the OVC.

That said, if MSU and WSU both run the table in conference and split the two match-ups between them, both will be in solid position for an at-large. WSU would have what, 27 wins and MSU would have 24 or 25? Not locks this year, but pretty favorable for at-large consideration. Even teams from complete garbage conferences have gotten in as at-large bids with 26-27 win totals (South Alabama, Siena, I want to say ORU did this once as well). And hopefully if this does play out, even a third MVC team can possibly get in as an auto. A lot of wishful thinking, but there is a lot of bball to be played as well.

Creighton got left out with 26 wins. MSU got left out with a 24 RPI. Utah St got left out a few years ago with a bunch of wins as well.

WSU is kind of in the same boat that Creighton was in 2007 - trying to get in on a resume of no bad losses, but also no really good wins. Hopefully WSU gets a really good bracketbuster team as the "no bad losses, but no really good wins" resume seems to be a tougher sell to the committee.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 4th, 2011, 1:12 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Redbird Ray wrote:While I agree that WSU will likely be higher than a #12 seed and that there is still plenty of bball to be played, Lunardi is usually pretty spot on with these things. It's disconcerting for me as a Valley fan to see how far this conference has plumeted in terms of quality over the years. At least for the last three years, our one bid was in the 4-9 range. Having our one bid be a #12 makes us no different than the MAC or the OVC.

That said, if MSU and WSU both run the table in conference and split the two match-ups between them, both will be in solid position for an at-large. WSU would have what, 27 wins and MSU would have 24 or 25? Not locks this year, but pretty favorable for at-large consideration. Even teams from complete garbage conferences have gotten in as at-large bids with 26-27 win totals (South Alabama, Siena, I want to say ORU did this once as well). And hopefully if this does play out, even a third MVC team can possibly get in as an auto. A lot of wishful thinking, but there is a lot of bball to be played as well.

Creighton got left out with 26 wins. MSU got left out with a 24 RPI.

People always say these things, but you have to remember the specifics. Creighton was going to be selected to the tournament that year, but they got blown out in STL by like 35 points and played themselves out.

And MSU was probably left out because 4 other MVC teams were already selected. They weren't about to put an entire half of a mid major conference in the tournament.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 4th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Garbage conference? Excuse me? Some team works its butt off, battles, wins games on the road, beats the odds to get an at large and they come from a garbage league.

My coffee drinking buddies who graduated from Big 10, Big 12, ACC, and SEC schools think we do not belong on the same floor as them.

Respect your opponent.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » January 5th, 2011, 8:20 am

bigdawg wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:Lunardi is only spot on the weekend of selection Sunday, along with most every other bracketologist.

Except for the year he had 64 out of 65 right, with Creighton being the only misstep.

He got 64 out of 65 right on a guess in early January?

My point is that most "bracketologists" get 60+ picks right on the Saturday before selection Sunday. Last year I saw a rating of bracketologist accuracy over a several year period. IIRC, Lunardi was no where near the top.

At this point in the season there is no "spot on".
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdmanBB » January 5th, 2011, 9:03 am

The valley could get top heavy enough for WSU and MSU to both to have a chance.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » January 5th, 2011, 9:43 am

BirdmanBB wrote:The valley could get top heavy enough for WSU and MSU to both to have a chance.

That would be the best shot of 2 teams. If those two can distance themselves by 3 games or so and then meet on Sunday you could make a good case. However, can they get that type of distance over CU/UNI?
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » January 5th, 2011, 11:05 am

SubGod22 wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:The valley could get top heavy enough for WSU and MSU to both to have a chance.

That would be the best shot of 2 teams. If those two can distance themselves by 3 games or so and then meet on Sunday you could make a good case. However, can they get that type of distance over CU/UNI?

Well, MSU has set themselves up nicely so far. Now if only we can complete the hat trick on Sunday...
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby SubGod22 » January 5th, 2011, 11:26 am

MSUDuo wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:

Well, MSU has set themselves up nicely so far. Now if only we can complete the hat trick on Sunday...

I certainly hope that doesn't happen. But if we're to lose a home game, I'd expect it to be to you guys. I can't wait to make the trip to Sprinfield for SR Night. Hopefully there's something on the line for that game! :duel:
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball