Friday's games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Friday's games

Postby WSUbballer » January 7th, 2011, 12:12 pm

squirrel is right. ISU can give us match-up problems. I'm really nervous about this game. Illinois State will be desperate to not start off the year 0-4. If WSU's heads are on Sunday, they'll get smoked tonight.

I hope they are mature enough to only look at the opponent at hand. If that happens and up it up on offense, I like their chances. I don't see a blowout though.
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » January 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

I'm just not seeing it with ISUR vs. WSU this year.

ISUR has three home losses to date and home wins by 5 over Tenn. St; 4 over ULM and 6 over Montana St.

They haven't been closer than 11 in any of their three conference games. Granted two were on the road, but ISUB just beat them by 15 and held them to 57 points.

I think ISUR has some nice pieces with some great potential, but they're where WSU was two years ago, plus they aren't a 3pt shooting team (just 29 percent so far).

WSU is better and more experienced at nearly every position and has more depth.

This should be a double-digit road win for WSU.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Little Eddie » January 7th, 2011, 2:17 pm

bigdawg wrote:I don't think I've won a single bet on an MVC game this year, but I'm gonna load up on Wichita St tonight.

I don't like that bet at all...if I had to wager I'd take the points w/ E-ville maybe or take CU for the win. Even then I'm a little uncertain.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » January 7th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Why do so many people think ISUr is a tough team right now? They have not beaten a single good team, and have some bad losses. No way does wichita lose to them now.

They may be good in the future, or maybe even decent by the end of the year. But they are not good right now.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » January 7th, 2011, 3:20 pm

No one said Illinois State was a "tough team right now." Rather, sometimes in college basketball, you get matchups that may or may not be favorable. Illinois State's size eliminates one advantage Wichita has over the rest of the league. WSU obviously still is a much better team, but when you have an unfavorable matchup such as ISU *could* be, that's where you run into unexpected results.

For instance, look at USC...(they've been reinforced at the semester break). Before the break, they basically had no backcourt, but 2 bigs with NBA potential. The lack of a backcourt more than anything allowed BU to beat them. Yet, against bigger, BCS types, USC's size turned out to be an even bigger advantage in some matchups (for example against Texas) because their bigs were simply better.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Little Eddie » January 7th, 2011, 3:24 pm

valleychamp wrote:Why do so many people think ISUr is a tough team right now? They have not beaten a single good team, and have some bad losses. No way does wichita lose to them now.

They may be good in the future, or maybe even decent by the end of the year. But they are not good right now.

I simply think that 8 points is too much to give for the game since they're at home...I also see the potential that they have at ISUred...I know that tall players don't necessarily equate to wins but they have some athleticism to go along w/ the length. I really think they can beat any team in the league if they hit shots from the outside (which has been a sore point thus far).
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdmanBB » January 7th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Little Eddie wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Why do so many people think ISUr is a tough team right now? They have not beaten a single good team, and have some bad losses. No way does wichita lose to them now.

I simply think that 8 points is too much to give for the game since they're at home...I also see the potential that they have at ISUred...I know that tall players don't necessarily equate to wins but they have some athleticism to go along w/ the length. I really think they can beat any team in the league if they hit shots from the outside (which has been a sore point thus far).

Thanks Little Eddie. You make us sound like the best, worst team out there. :lol:
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Little Eddie » January 7th, 2011, 3:43 pm

The Redbirds simply seem like the type of team you won't want to play at the end of the season. Yes, they're having chemistry issues right now but I think there's talent there.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, this is the only game (WSU vs ISUred) that is listed on channelsurfing thusfar...would like to see one or two more added.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MVCfans » January 7th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Indiana State 38
Northern Iowa 15

Halftime
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com