CU @ UE

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: CU @ UE

Postby LJay » January 9th, 2011, 6:32 pm

sixth ace wrote:Aces controlled most of the game.

Aces played pretty good but Jays had double digit leads in both halves and were ahead for probably 35 of the 40 minutes so I'm not sure this statement applies.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sixth ace » January 9th, 2011, 6:37 pm

LJay wrote:
sixth ace wrote:Aces controlled most of the game.

Aces played pretty good but Jays had double digit leads in both halves and were ahead for probably 35 of the 40 minutes so I'm not sure this statement applies.

While I don't belive they had a ten point lead in the second half, I believe that to get back in the game you control most of it.

Okay I was wrong

Creighton led 55-52 with 9:27 to play when UE's Denver Holmes was called for a foul against Doug McDermott under the basket. Kaleb Korver immediately followed the whistle by making a three-pointer that was allowed to stand, and McDermott then hit the two free throws as a result of Holmes's foul to give the Jays a 60-52 advantage. They increased the lead to 10 at 62-52 on Kenny Lawson, Jr.'s layup, but Evansville had one more surge left, and it nearly gave UE the victory.

from gopurpleaces.com
Last edited by sixth ace on January 9th, 2011, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LJay » January 9th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Ummm, okay.

BTW, 62-52 with 8 minutes left.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces0976 » January 9th, 2011, 7:05 pm

I don't know whether to be encouraged or disheartened. I have to say, I think we played one of our better, more complete games this year. Having said that, we lost. Other than too many open 3's, I can't really find any fault with how we played, just one of those games. That 5 pt play was, at best, kind of an odd call. I don't like complaining about refs, but that just seemed like a classic no-call situation. I really thought the refs were actually pretty good, but it just seemed like that ref wanted to make a "big call", either way it was a big play, especially being Denver's 4th foul. Oh well, good game Aces.....congrats, Jays.....no excuses, just get ready for Drake on Wed.
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aces0976 » January 9th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Oh yeah, btw, Echenique is one big mutha......he's gonna be a load for the next few years.
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby purple&orange » January 9th, 2011, 7:31 pm

It was a great college basketball game as Creighton hit some open 3's early and UE answering with a run to take the lead at half. Creighton got a favorable decision that helped build that 10 point 2nd half lead but UE got back into it and had a great look from Ned Cox off the dribble from 15 to tie that was just long. Creighton hit their FTs down the stretch and won the game. Both teams did some things really well and struggled with some others.

As far as the one call is concerned, it didn't' cost UE the game. It really hurt because it was the 4th on Denver Holmes but Denver had just embellished some contact a few seconds earlier trying to get a charge call so I can't say I'm surprised it went against him. Looking live I'm pretty sure the contact happened while the pass was in the air and I know the ref hesitated before making the call so by the time he got around to it blowing his whistle, the shot was in the air. It certainly really hurt but no one call will cost/decide a game.

The struggles to get back on ball reversals from the help inside, giving Creighton a number of open looks really hurt. UE played really well, 20 assists to 6 turnovers at any level is impressive and had a very balanced attack. Creighton was balanced as well and the big fella is a load inside. Give Creighton credit for withstanding the late Evansville run and hitting free throws down the stretch to finish it off.

I'm cautiously optimistic because UE played pretty well tonight and I liked Denver's aggressiveness on the offensive end. I think he's the key for UE to have a chance for UE to be successful, as he has to be on the floor and be a third scorer to Ryan and Harris. Realistically I felt like UE would be more than likely be 1-4 at this point. The schedule the rest of the month isn't as difficult but UE will have to play well to compete this year in the Valley. If they can do that like they did today, they will have more opportunities to win games. UE played well enough to win, but Creighton made a couple more plays, hit a couple more 3's and walked away with the win.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby sect.3purple » January 9th, 2011, 9:09 pm

UE played well tonight, but we just don't match up with Creighton's big center....trying to contain him left outside shooters open in the first half and the Jays were hitting the 3. Our lack of rebounding hurt us also.

That terrible call by the ref which gave a 5 point swing to the Jays as we were closing the gap in scoring may very well have cost us the game. Horrible call.....the kind you usually get away from home...but UE seems to get them AT home!

I am proud of the team....haven't always been pleased as we have had some low-effort games, and there just is no excuse for that. Our team is better than most of the Valley gives us credit for, and maybe this is the turning point in our season.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UE 71 » January 10th, 2011, 12:02 am

Echenique is a junior who just became eligible at the semester break after transferring from Rutgers. That would wither mean he has one year of eligibility after this year or possibly some additional time if he did not arrive with using 2.5 years before transferring. Either way, I'm sure the rest of the Valley will be glad when he graduates.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby OkoboJay » January 10th, 2011, 12:09 am

Gregory is a sophomore...he was only at Rutgers for 1.5 seasons and then took a medical redshirt and immediately transfered. After this season he'll have two more with the Jays :)
OkoboJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UE 71 » January 10th, 2011, 10:58 am

He's listed as a junior on the CU roster, that's why I brought this up.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball