Future "Bracketbusters" Concept

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Future "Bracketbusters" Concept

Postby unipanther99 » May 4th, 2022, 2:09 pm

Agreed, splits would be common.

Plus the Valley cannot do this unless the AAC, WCC, A-10, and MWC are all in. If any of those opt out, it should blow the whole thing up IMO.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » May 4th, 2022, 2:53 pm

The AAC is in a weird spot.

They have to try to convince the world they're still right outside the P6 while being the 11th best conference statistically starting next year.

Other than Memphis, they're going to have to schedule like mid-majors and pray that no one actually notices what they are.

I agree that the True Mid 5 (A10, AAC, MW, Valley, WCC) either have to be all in or all out of this terrible idea and that includes Memphis and Gonzaga.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Roberts Stadium » May 21st, 2022, 9:07 am

I like the idea, or at least the concept of it, i just fear that it will cut into conference games. There's already not enough games for every team to play every team Home/Away (I hate when they call it Home and Home). I've wondered if there would be a way to play the NIT first with the winner getting in the NCAA Tournament. That would make those games count and give the main tournament teams a few weeks to prepare.

One of the other things I was thinking about when the preseason/nonconference tournaments were being discussed is that with conference realignment destroying a lot of old rivalries I wish they'd bring them back as the themes for the tournaments. For example, a Missouri Valley themed tournament would have existing conference teams along with Creighton, Wichita State, Loyola, etc in it. A GLVC (Div II) could have Bellarmine, Southern Indiana, Northern Kentucky, Purdue Fort Wayne, etc and then if you want to replace some of the nonconference cupcake games with similar ones Bruce Pearl and Auburn, Ray Harper and Jacksonville State, and Div II Kentucky Wesleyan could be added.
Roberts Stadium
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Purple35 » June 9th, 2022, 8:26 am

This is a glorified money grab by ESPN, which is looking to lure fans of mid-major teams that will soon be faced with other streaming obstacles. The conferences may be looking for some fresh money by bringing in a team that appears to be an upgrade over the staleness of the season.

But if the sponsors of this thing are promoting it as a way of getting the middies a better position in the NCAAs, they already know it's not gonna happen. The middies are grasping for cash now because there will be fewer and fewer of them in March Madness.

I have no problem playing these games and I have no illusion that they will change the landscape. I just don't see any other purpose for it. A Wednesday conference game means more.

Given 2 votes out of 3, I'd be the 2nd person to vote no.
Purple35
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby unipanther99 » June 9th, 2022, 8:41 am

Purple35 wrote:This is a glorified money grab by ESPN, which is looking to lure fans of mid-major teams that will soon be faced with other streaming obstacles. The conferences may be looking for some fresh money by bringing in a team that appears to be an upgrade over the staleness of the season.

But if the sponsors of this thing are promoting it as a way of getting the middies a better position in the NCAAs, they already know it's not gonna happen. The middies are grasping for cash now because there will be fewer and fewer of them in March Madness.

I have no problem playing these games and I have no illusion that they will change the landscape. I just don't see any other purpose for it. A Wednesday conference game means more.

Given 2 votes out of 3, I'd be the 2nd person to vote no.

ESPN isn't involved in this concept, at least not yet. I would anticipate the TV rights would go to each conference's TV partners for the home games, allowing multiple games to be played at once -- instead of spreading them out to odd hours like ESPN used to do for Bracketbusters.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Purple35 » June 9th, 2022, 9:30 am

I assume you are right, although "ESPN" is a catch-all for national sports media. As far as them being specifically interested, I assume they would need to weigh the value before bidding on it, as opposed to being the generator of the concept. If it matters, they will buy a chunk of it.
Purple35
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball