UCLA - USC to Big Ten

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UCLA - USC to Big Ten

Postby unipanther99 » July 1st, 2022, 9:00 am

You have to think the PAC leftovers and Big 12 would look to combine, and it would seem to be easier to do under the PAC umbrella, as they still have more brand name schools.

New PAC-16?

Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon St.
Washington
Washington St.
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona St.
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Iowa State

With condolences to West Virginia, TCU, Houston, Cinci, BYU and UCF, the above conference would be below the SEC and B1G in value, but still worth a considerable amount, and probably enough to keep them at the same table. The problem is unless they really lock in a long term deal, the SEC/B1G can still just pick them off.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Purple35 » July 1st, 2022, 9:07 am

The discussion about money for sports means jack squat to the fans who will now get 3 insurance company commercials during the expanded timeouts instead of the usual 2, plus the bank commercial and the Nissan car rolling through unfettered mountain passes.
The private schools at the mid-major level are going to take a hit because in most cases, a private school's fan base is much more confined to alumni. Public schools have a larger reach, although that depends on the location.
This is clearly a reach for semi-pro autonomy by the B1G and the SEC. The Big 12, the ACC and the Pac-howevermany will do all right because they have large enrollments. They will also continue to compete well. The money won't make the teams better but it will siphon off the glamour and turn women's basketball and softball into even bigger jokes than they already are.
The first lawsuits will take care of the sex harassment issues.
But this is good for the construction industry as more billion-dollar weight rooms are quite necessary.
Mid-majors baseball will suffer the most as the super conferences develop. That's the worst part of this. As far as talent on the volleyball or basketball court, that won't change. They only have 13 uniforms available. So if all 50 of the elite 6-10 point guards end up in the SEC, we just won't play them.
We won't get a game anyhow. Feel free to join any streaming service you want and get truly regional car commercials wrapped around your gecko commercial.
Pffffffffffffffffft ... the end has come. The beginning will be interesting. The trick now is to recognize the fight songs, which is always a lot of fun. Buckle Down Winsocki!
Purple35
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Adunk33 » July 1st, 2022, 9:25 am

If the Big10 gets a decent number of PAC schools, I could also see them going after ACC schools to partner up with Rutgers and Maryland. That way you essentially have the B10 West, Central, and East Divisions. B12 goes mostly into the SEC and just like that...you have the SEC vs B10...or in other terms...the AFC VS NFC....
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » July 1st, 2022, 9:48 am

I'll be shocked if Washington and Oregon don't end up in the Big Ten and close to shocked if Stanford and Cal don't.

The only thing keeping a crystal of doubt in my mind on Stanford and Cal is that they could go Ivy League. The academic side would love it, they could continue to dominate Olympic sports and they could quit pretending like they care about football at all.

I also think this is the domino that forces Notre Dame into the Big Ten.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » July 1st, 2022, 9:51 am

BCPanther wrote:I'll be shocked if Washington and Oregon don't end up in the Big Ten and close to shocked if Stanford and Cal don't.

The only thing keeping a crystal of doubt in my mind on Stanford and Cal is that they could go Ivy League. The academic side would love it, they could continue to dominate Olympic sports and they could quit pretending like they care about football at all.

Stanford football puts more guys in the NFL than most Big Ten schools.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » July 1st, 2022, 10:45 am

Red wrote:
BCPanther wrote:I'll be shocked if Washington and Oregon don't end up in the Big Ten and close to shocked if Stanford and Cal don't.

Stanford football puts more guys in the NFL than most Big Ten schools.

Only because David Shaw has stayed there. The institution as a whole doesn't care about football.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » July 1st, 2022, 11:26 am

I don't think this will have much of an impact on the MVC. We've all known for years now that the P5's were going to eventually split off from the NCAA or D1. The sooner it happens, the better. I'm looking forward to a return of real college athletics and not this money grabbing, minor league nonsense. The new reorganized division we will be in will still have plenty of schools in it that people will recognize. I doubt it will even be that much different talent wise than the D1 we have all loved for decades. The only difference is that the biggest schools will be doing their own thing.

In the short term Missouri State might get a look for FBS. In the MVFC, NDSU and SDSU might also get looks. I have my doubts that any of the three get an actual invite, but that's the only trickle down effect I see. My guess is that the Pac raids 2-4 from the MWC, and then who knows where that will lead.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » July 1st, 2022, 1:25 pm

Power 5 football - and football only - will break away from the NCAA. Basketball and other sports will not, because everyone knows - even the big boys - the NCAA Tournament, as it stands now, is the best case scenario for $$$. March Madness becomes irrelevant to most casual fans if the Power 5 removes all their sports from the NCAA.

With that said - if you are non-Power 5 FBS, you're essentially FCS. The remaining 66 FBS schools need to merge with the FCS schools and expand to a 32-team playoff.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bulldog2323 » July 1st, 2022, 3:18 pm

racernation wrote:Power 5 football - and football only - will break away from the NCAA. Basketball and other sports will not, because everyone knows - even the big boys - the NCAA Tournament, as it stands now, is the best case scenario for $$$. March Madness becomes irrelevant to most casual fans if the Power 5 removes all their sports from the NCAA.

With that said - if you are non-Power 5 FBS, you're essentially FCS. The remaining 66 FBS schools need to merge with the FCS schools and expand to a 32-team playoff.

Agreed. Might as well call P5 FBS Pre-NFL the way it's treated.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Purple35 » July 2nd, 2022, 8:30 am

All of us know/agree that this is about controlling billions of dollars, seeing as how a P5 football game draws in excess of 60,000 for any Saturday. Eventually, they will walk all over tradition and absorb Friday nights for additional TV revenue, even though high school has claimed Fridays. They might even challenge for some Sunday games or start their seasons in July -- the 18-game season is just around the corner.

There is, however, a breaking point to anything. If the 2020 pandemic hadn't happened (well, we all wish we could say that) there is likely not this much rush to recover the tons of moolah that they didn't get. Alas, it happened and this is where we are.

I still don't think there's enough pure 5-star talent out there to fuel a continued push to NIL-driven semipro football. There isn't that much quality coaching, although the number of endzone cheerleaders can likely double without much hassle. Are there that many thin squealing blondes who are in the transfer portal?

Aside from that, mid-majors baseball will suffer a little when MLB absorbs that as a partner arrangement to offset the fact that it scrubbed a third of its minor leagues two seasons back.

Some of this will come back to Earth.
Purple35
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball